24/25 CarMatKings South Region Challenge Cup

4 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

I’m amazed that £174k spent on first team can be construed as a charitable purpose. Would be interesting to see what the regulators view is.

Yes it does seem a bit odd that very high level semi professional footballers wages are getting paid under the umbrella of a charity-or perhaps it is just deemed that they are all employees of the charity structure at large.

Have to bow to someone more expert than I am in this field though .

Anyone out there know the script?

Vale of Clyde 2 Renfrew 0

Voc 1 up and then go down to 10 men on 30 mins for a harsh but correct red.  Renfrew exert a bit of pressure before half time but little else thereafter. Never made the 1 man advantage count and deservedly went down to a 2nd.

Renfrew were woeful.  To use the cliché, vale wanted it more. Their big CB was excellent.

10 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

You on the wind up brother.

Tier 9 team travel to a Tier 5 side and skelp them 3-0. 🤔

I must admit that my interest in Threave has been virtually non-existent until now. Is this the biggest result in their history in terms of the number of league places between them and the team they beat? (discounting daft local cups).

I know some LL sides don't necessarily play their strongest X1 in this competition because it's all about the league but you still can't say 3-0 is a mere fluke against a weakened side. I'll be watching the Scottish Cup game v Stranraer with a bit more interest after this, and probably hoping Talbot avoid Threave in the next round. 

36 minutes ago, ATFC said:

I must admit that my interest in Threave has been virtually non-existent until now. Is this the biggest result in their history in terms of the number of league places between them and the team they beat? (discounting daft local cups).

I know some LL sides don't necessarily play their strongest X1 in this competition because it's all about the league but you still can't say 3-0 is a mere fluke against a weakened side. I'll be watching the Scottish Cup game v Stranraer with a bit more interest after this, and probably hoping Talbot avoid Threave in the next round. 

Threave may be in an artificially low position due to starting at the bottom of the WOSFL.  They beat Stenhousemuir in the Scottish Cup about 15/20 years ago albeit this was pre-pyramid so it's hard to guage how far apart the sides were in terms of league placings.  They seem to have been one of the more successful SOS sides in recent times and did reasonably well during a stint in the EOS league before that.  Apparently they are a well run club and people seem to be very complimentary about their home stadium.

13 hours ago, funky monkey said:

What's the point of a 'club' without fans? 

I think they have as good a reason as any to have a senior side, after all, what's the point in bringing players through from age 4 to age 20 without giving them a platform to play beyond this?  Whether they should be financed to the extent they are just now without much external income is another question.

51 minutes ago, ATFC said:

Berwick fans are absolutely raging with the comments I've seen on social media. Cries for manager to go boardroom chaos etc.

I don't think they played a weakened side (maybes injuries involved aye but that's same at every level).

They're the biggest team in Dumfries & Galloway now and seem to have the pick of the best players in the region. 

I think it raised a few eyebrows leaving the SoSFL to go to the bottom of the WoSFL but they are finally seeing a bit fruition now. 

On stating that they're  probably at a level now where they'd maybe be playing had they dropped into the West Premier at the time.

The only way is up though and good luck to them. 

9 minutes ago, energyzone said:

I think they have as good a reason as any to have a senior side, after all, what's the point in bringing players through from age 4 to age 20 without giving them a platform to play beyond this?  Whether they should be financed to the extent they are just now without much external income is another question.

That's fine in principle but it doesn't seem to be what's happening. They're spending fairly substantial money for this level on players from other clubs meaning their own products are less likely to get an opportunity. Obviously, you'd expect some degree of external recruitment but they are fairly ripping the arse out of it. 

1 minute ago, newcastle broon said:

Berwick fans are absolutely raging with the comments I've seen on social media. Cries for manager to go boardroom chaos etc.

I don't think they played a weakened side (maybes injuries involved aye but that's same at every level).

They're the biggest team in Dumfries & Galloway now and seem to have the pick of the best players in the region. 

I think it raised a few eyebrows leaving the SoSFL to go to the bottom of the WoSFL but they are finally seeing a bit fruition now. 

On stating that they're  probably at a level now where they'd maybe be playing had they dropped into the West Premier at the time.

I'm heading out to horses so will answer  some of your points after.

Speak with committee regular so have a bit of inside knowledge of their reasoning. I shows they are a well run club with intelligent folk on board.

26 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Be interesting to know how many players from their youth setup actually get a game for the senior xi

Amateur & Youth football is shrivelling. Plenty of clubs with "no fans" are going to be looking for safe harbour within the pyramid. An obvious issue with that comes down to facilities. Besides ego,  that seems to be one of the motivating factors in St Cadoc's being as successful as possible. As it may aid them getting a permanent spot in Newton Mearns.

Threave can hardly win it comes to perception. If they were at Tier 6 in the South, Berwick would still be getting mocked for losing to a South side. Despite their being a single tier on paper between them. This season alone we've seen Lossiemouth United go to Talbot and win. Vale of Leithen go to Benburb and win 3-0. There might be more Tiers than ever before, but standards on the field in non-league can be paper thin on any given day.

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Cmon Newky, don't let your imagination run away with yourself !!

Threave are certainly doing all the right things because their results prove they are on the right track.

But to claim they are the biggest team in Dumfries and Galloway ??  How's your geography ?? The last time I looked Gretna is most definitely in D & G 

I am sure a matchup between these two fine teams, like many times in the past, would be a tasty affair !!