El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

50 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

In the summer of 1966 I was 13 years old.  Believe it or not, I actually wanted England to win the World Cup before it kicked off.

They were the British representatives and I was British, so why not? 

I even paid 1 shilling and 6 pence of my not so hard-earned pocket money for a World Cup Willie Rollykin,

(which was a wee plastic figure with a ball bearing in the base.)  Now £45 online, I no longer have it. 😪

Then I started watching the limited tv coverage, compared with today, and saw the English waving the 'Union Jack'

and chanting "England".

Now, I could have taken the view that they also wanted the British team to win and were acting in an  inclusive manner but

funnily enough that was not the impression I got.   I did form the impression that they believed they were waving the English flag.

I stopped 'supporting' them at that point, (though I now have English friends and extended family and like to see them happy.)

At least they now wave the correct flag but many of them still lie about being 'not allowed to',  which of course is just greetin' faced, right wing pish.

'Mon the Team that has won every match, bar one,  since the start of the tournament . 🇪🇸  

That more or less describe me, too.

1 hour ago, cyderspaceman said:

In the summer of 1966 I was 13 years old.  Believe it or not, I actually wanted England to win the World Cup before it kicked off.

They were the British representatives and I was British, so why not? 

I even paid 1 shilling and 6 pence of my not so hard-earned pocket money for a World Cup Willie Rollykin,

(which was a wee plastic figure with a ball bearing in the base.)  Now £45 online, I no longer have it. 😪

Then I started watching the limited tv coverage, compared with today, and saw the English waving the 'Union Jack'

and chanting "England".

Now, I could have taken the view that they also wanted the British team to win and were acting in an  inclusive manner but

funnily enough that was not the impression I got.   I did form the impression that they believed they were waving the English flag.

I stopped 'supporting' them at that point, (though I now have English friends and extended family and like to see them happy.)

At least they now wave the correct flag but many of them still lie about being 'not allowed to',  which of course is just greetin' faced, right wing pish.

'Mon the Team that has won every match, bar one,  since the start of the tournament . 🇪🇸  

Jeez, I also wish I'd kept my World Cup Willie rollykin (I never knew they had a name).  I'd been bought it during a visit to relatives in London the previous year, so the marketing team was well on it.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

I don’t usually listen to talksport so don’t have much of an opinion of him. It seems like Jim Whyte has annoyed him quite a bit.

His podcasts with Souness and Deeney are really good. 

10 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

England will lose, and that's The Malkmus Guarantee.

Sir, I have not forgiven you for jinxing Inverness's relegation/play-off battle. Do not tempt the fates!

41 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Sir, I have not forgiven you for jinxing Inverness's relegation/play-off battle. Do not tempt the fates!

Mark Ridgers shan't be starting in goal for Spain, so there will be no issue here.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If your big derby is against Annan athletic then it might be difficult to understand 

We're much closer in standard to Annan that Scotland is to England.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Does that mean you don't understand it as it stands?

Seems strange.

Yeah you've lost me, you are basically suggesting there should be no rivalry in football which is woke nonsense if I'm honest. 

3 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Scotland do get battered everywhere they go, tbf.

Cyprus? Malta? Iceland? They tremble when they hear Scotland are coming. We should only play island nations.

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Yeah you've lost me, you are basically suggesting there should be no rivalry in football which is woke nonsense if I'm honest. 

No I'm not.

Rivalry is healthy.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We're much closer in standard to Annan that Scotland is to England.

England haven't defeated us in our last two competitive matches. 

Spoiler

Stopped at 2 because even numbers are cool and going to 4 takes us back to a period of time where everyone playing is retired.  

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's interesting, because I've never struggled to understand the way you're regarded on here.

Touché.

Spoiler

People still don’t like you though.

4 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Northern Ireland and Ireland have battered us in recent memory too.

There’s always an exception to the rule.

Losing 1-0 is hardly battered. That’s a light nudge.

I couldn't possibly begrudge the Nigels being delighted if they win - we would be if it was us, and so would people from any country.  It's the utter freaks who are Scottish but support England and think the English football team doing well is some vindication of their politics that I really want to be feeling upset.