El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

Problem with that 08-12 Spanish team was they were almost too good! Kept the ball but also defensively great, meaning their games weren't that exciting (imo, can see why other folk disagree).

This year's team felt a bit more direct but also more open, the semi final France got through down the wings quite a lot for example. One of my favourite teams to watch in a long time.

5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

In terms of sour grapes nothing will ever beat Lawrenson's full 25 minutes of impotent rage during the Germany pumping. My three-year-old acts with more grace when he's not allowed another ice lolly.

I swear there must be some green dot rationing in place right now. Never shot my load as fast.

I always appreciated Lawrenson’s ‘us, us us’ with regard to England, given he played for Ireland because England wouldn’t give him a game. Shite commentator as he was otherwise, I always respected Andy Townsend for calling England ‘England’ and ‘us’ was Ireland. 

2 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

Problem with that 08-12 Spanish team was they were almost too good! Kept the ball but also defensively great, meaning their games weren't that exciting (imo, can see why other folk disagree).

They were literally only exciting when they needed to be, which they only ever were for like two games.

People also forget that a key component of tiki taka was that if any opposition player had the temerity to try to actually tackle you, you were trained to immediately react as if you had taken a shotgun blast to the face. With modern timekeeping in place no Spain game of the era would have had the final whistle blown yet.

Before the game, I wasn't sure whether I would prefer Spain to absolutely hammer England, or to break their hearts with a late, late goal. The hammering would have been less stressful, but the way it turned out was even sweeter - especially with the corner that was cleared off the line. I'd love to have seen the faces of Lineker and co. when that happened.

Thank you, Spain.

It's the aiiases I feel sorry for every couple of years they make up some rubbish about supporting the Nigel's just on the off chance they can look good on the internet 

Flicked between both channels after the game and it's glorious viewing 

43 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

My favourite from the same game

up there in my favourites with this reaction to a "goal" from the sharp and unapologetic Jonathon Pearce (ably supported by Keown). 

Despite VAR 1. checking whether the ball had crossed the line immediately after hitting the post and 2. separate to that, subsequently checking whether the ball had crossed the line after coming off the goalie's hand, Pearce considered this sequence of events to be utterly baffling. And then he double-down on his dim-wittedness to attempt to save face. "Oh, they have changed their minds now".

Add him to the thousands of other reasons why we pish ourselves laughing when England get pumped. 

Edited by Pocketman

They should still be singing Three Lions in the year 3124.

Best thing that c**t Baddiel has ever been involved in. Imagine if our main anthem explicitly tied us to 1978 for the rest of time.

1 minute ago, Pocketman said:

up there in my favourites with this reaction to a "goal" from the sharp and unapologetic Jonathon Pearce (ably supported by Keown). 

Despite VAR 1. checking whether the ball had crossed the line immediately after hitting the post and 2. separate to that, subsequently checking whether the ball had crossed the line after coming off the goalie's hand, Pearce considered this sequence of events to be utterly baffling. And then he double-down on his dim-wittedness to attempt to save face. "Oh, they have changed their minds now".

Add him to the thousands of other reasons why we pish ourselves laughing when England get pumped. 

It's the best ever.  Keown is really angry about how dumb he is :lol:

When for creating chances start becoming ‘creating moments’. I’ve heard it sneak into pundit’s vocabularies in the last year or two watching the Barclays. 

7 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Bellingham comes across as a complete bell end.
Although if he destroys the morale in the England team then he's alright in my opinion.

Of all the ones I didn't expect to be dressing room poison it's Bellingham. Almost challenges the theory that it's living in England and playing in the Premier League that turns them into total b*****ds rather than being an intrinsic part of being English.

4 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Did they really play that much better after Kane went off though?

Lot of blame getting put at one player's door here.

They did score a goal tbf. If they want to scapegoat one particular player for being pish and anonymous when about five of them were pish and anonymous then so be it.

Edited by Thumper