El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

100+ people still on this thread on a Monday morning. Delicious. 

English colleague just asked me if I got more pleasure from an English defeat or a Scottish victory.

I genuinely don't know. 

On reflection, as a football match, Luke Shaw and Jordan Pickford had superb games. Shaw cannot be anywhere near match fit, but he certainly didn’t look his usual three or four pounds podgy, and was up against a 16 year old flying machine. I thought Shaw did brilliantly. As did the unlikeable Pickford. Calmly plucked crosses out of the air, made at least two or three top drawer saves, and kept his team in it. The rest of them were shit. The subs’ were much better, Palmer scored, just as Watkins had done previously. Quite why Southgate persisted with a tactic of being shite, then asking his subs to save the day, is frankly beyond me.

Anyway, the only other real question I can be arsed asking about them is about Declan Rice… how much did Arsenal actually pay for him? Jesus wept.

Do they, though?

I get that a lot of England fans blame Nigel Cardigan for the defensive tactics - but it maybe possible given that England were shit for 95% of their game time, that they have over-rated their own talents and under-rated those of, say, individual Spanish (or German, or French) players?

image.png.a2c66038669374a4736f65639e6b221c.png

Edited by VictorOnopko

7 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Just had someone on Talksport asking for Lampard, Gerrard or Rooney because they are Engerland through and through. 

I tried to listen to Talksport earlier, but heard some kind of pish advert 3 times in 5 minutes about how proud they were of the team so I had to turn it off again. I mean, I only wanted to gloat and they spoiled my fun.

1 hour ago, rainbowrising said:

Apparently, England "gave" Spain 65% possession. A team that has ran every opponent ragged with their ability on the ball but England "gave them" that possession. Living in fantasy football land. 

I don't think that's too controversial though. Teams do give them the ball and sit back as they're terrified to go toe to toe and lose the ball in the middle of the park.

5 minutes ago, PWL said:

English colleague just asked me if I got more pleasure from an English defeat or a Scottish victory.

I genuinely don't know. 

Nah, a Scottish victory is far more pleasureable than an English defeat. Beating Spain, the time Marshall saved that penalty - those are brilliant. Watching, and hoping England lose is a sideshow. An entertaining, gives you something to talk about sideshow. It’s about one or two dislikeable individuals in their team. It’s about the OTT punditry we are subjected to, but it’s a sideshow. A Sideshow Bob…. What a run and cross he put in. 😎

10 minutes ago, PWL said:

I genuinely don't know. 

I will say it, I am a little petty f**k and take far more enjoyment in their defeat. Totally forgot that we were in this fucking tournament. 

3 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I don't think that's too controversial though. Teams do give them the ball and sit back as they're terrified to go toe to toe and lose the ball in the middle of the park.

It's like being offered the choice of a kick in the bollocks or a punch in the head

And then people criticising your choice afterwards, 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

I just want to take this morning to point out that lastnigbt is further, crushing confirmation of something I have been saying for a couple of years now. 

This lot are sports biggest underachievers. They transcend all sports, as massive bottle jobs. I know we are all fans of Scottish club football so that maybe explains terms like "Hibsed it" but it's truly a scandal that sporting failure is synonymous with anyone except this England team. 

Absolute fucking shitebags 🤣🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Just watched the highlights back as was in the pub last night so couldn't hear much of the commentary and I really,  really hope Lee Dixon is suffering.   One of the most unprofessional performances in broadcasting history.   Exquisite to listen to

Agree 100%. His response to Spain's winning goal, a lovely move, was to plead for an offside VAR. Just f*ck off.

Watching Scotland is a thing of beauty. In the last few years there's been a good few moments and despite this tournament we're a nation on the up with some really exciting talent.

Watching England lose is soul-warming. Its even better given they've had a fraud in charge for the last few years who they've tried to convince themselves is a good manager.

It's genuinely remarkable how poorly they take it every single time. As soon as we're knocked out, we get pelters from them but when the tables are turned the toys are out the pram and they're telling us how we'll never get what they've had. 

Every single time they've come up against a decent team in the last few years they've been found out. 

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's like being offered the choice of a kick in the bollocks or a punch in the head

And then people criticising your choice afterwards, 

Hahaha pretty much.

I called it in this thread during the game. He was always going to be criticised for not going for it, despite the fact he'd likely have taken a beating if he had tried to match them.

We've all seen it here before with our teams losing to the bigot brothers.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Only Carvajal and Yamal from those that played in the final are with Real/Barca  - great contribution from the Basque clubs.

They'd have a decent national team themselves if the separatists got their wish.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I just want to take this morning to point out that lastnigbt is further, crushing confirmation of something I have been saying for a couple of years now. 

This lot are sports biggest underachievers. They transcend all sports, as massive bottle jobs. I know we are all fans of Scottish club football so that maybe explains terms like "Hibsed it" but it's truly a scandal that sporting failure is synonymous with anyone except this England team. 

Absolute fucking shitebags 🤣🤣🤣

I disagree.  They're not bottle jobs,  they're just never the best team in it.  It's like when Andy Roddick used to get to the final of Wimbledon every year by beating folk seeded below him then get a routine doing as he just wasn't as good as Federer.

They're a quarters/semis team who might occasionally get to a final if the better teams blow it.  That final push over the line is massive though,  and you rarely see a team overcome a superior team in a tournament final. 

I don't have a problem with the likes of Dixon being unprofessional while his country are playing in a final, the issue is that it's being broadcast to the whole UK.