Berwick Rangers 24/25

Redcar

Grateful to the Lowland League that this was played on a Tuesday, so I couldn't get there.

Heard a few feeble excuses, but there are no excuses for losing 7-0 at home. I wouldn't expect that if we were playing Celtic or Rangers. 

Still need to hear from the Manager. He needs to be honest with the fans and ruthless with the players. 

2 hours ago, teekasule said:

5th goal . Number six calling for an offside that's probably 10 yards on. LOL. 

And it sounds like apathy has well and truly set in, no outrage just mostly silence and a few claps from the Uni side. Sad times, hope they get it sorted soon.

Incidentally, the aforementioned 9-1 defeat at Accies was my first ever football match.

Edited by Owsley 2

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

EDIT: apparently our record defeat in Scottish football = 9-1 at Hamilton in 1980... so were 1 goal from equalling that (note they had a goal ruled out for a tight offside plus hit the post and later the bar!) and tonight's quite possibly our record home defeat?

Alan Bell confirms last night equalled our club record home defeat: joining a few League Cup ties v higher opposition, and a C Division game way back in 1951.

So at least those of us who stuck-it-out to FT saw some history made :unsure:...

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

East Kilbride 7-0 University of Stirling
Heart of Midlothian B 6-1 Berwick Rangers

Berwick Rangers 0-7 University of Stirling
Gretna 2008 6-1 Heart of Midlothian B

anchorman-ronburgundy.gif

Some mental results so far this season, at least you have a decent haul of points (so far) on the board as it’s looking interesting at the bottom.

Defending all over the place in those highlights but very poor goalkeeping for a few of the goals too 🙈.

Edited by Clyde01

8 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Some mental results so far this season, at least you have a decent haul of points (so far) on the board as it’s looking interesting at the bottom.

Defending all over the place in those highlights but very poor goalkeeping for a few of the goals too 🙈.

Think as the season goes on, EK will open up a bit of a gap over the rest with Braves maybe the closest on their tail. Pretty much anywhere from 3rd to 16/17th looks like anyone's game after that.

You do have to wonder where the football ‘directors’ are at the club. It’s all very well having fancy plinths for the balls, a canteen emblazoned with the black & gold and live commentary etc but who is actually deciding who gets signed. Those that have come on for our injured first picks are clearly not good enough to compete. Having said that some regulars need a shove.The sluggish back tracking v Hearts and the desperate defending on Tuesday is a hard watch. 
The apathy is also difficult to fathom. We have seemingly lost the will to let this club know when this sort of result is unacceptable. I don’t mean ranting but when does a shoddy performance earn a rocket? Other clubs in this league don’t have sugar daddies, but they have an organised, well-drilled squad that just wouldn’t get walked all over in there back yard.
A reaction on Saturday is demanded.

2 hours ago, sammyreidloyal said:

You do have to wonder where the football ‘directors’ are at the club. It’s all very well having fancy plinths for the balls, a canteen emblazoned with the black & gold and live commentary etc but who is actually deciding who gets signed. Those that have come on for our injured first picks are clearly not good enough to compete. Having said that some regulars need a shove.The sluggish back tracking v Hearts and the desperate defending on Tuesday is a hard watch. 
The apathy is also difficult to fathom. We have seemingly lost the will to let this club know when this sort of result is unacceptable. I don’t mean ranting but when does a shoddy performance earn a rocket? Other clubs in this league don’t have sugar daddies, but they have an organised, well-drilled squad that just wouldn’t get walked all over in there back yard.
A reaction on Saturday is demanded.

Signings will be down to the Manager and his team, within a budget set by the Board. Don't think there is any problem with the process.

Also, none of us had reservations about the signings after the first 3 games, and as for a backlash there has been plenty of howling on FB sites. 

I don't know what the Manager thinks because we got no interview on Tuesday. But I strongly suspect he is absolutely fuming with the team, but also maybe even questioning his own ability. He was very critical of the performance at home to Broomhill and since then has seen his team ship 17 goals in 3 games. Tuesdays performance and result was very possibly our worst ever. Worse than Hawick and worse than anything under Johnny Harvey. It was astonishingly weak, pathetic and heartless. 

It all suggests to me that there are people in the squad who need moving on, but hey, I'm only guessing really.

They will be together tonight for the first time since Tuesday's joke performance.  Straight talking? Bollockings? Cancelled contracts? All of the above, with any luck. 

So by my maths thats 16 goals shipped in the last 3 league games, 20 if you count the cup as well, and a single solitary goal for.

Sorry i don't buy into the whole so many games business, its the same for all other clubs. 

Whilst other clubs are starting to gel and get used to playing together, We're doing the exact opposite.

As already mentioned, the silence is deafening. When is it time to say enough is enough

2 hours ago, berwicksfinest said:

So by my maths thats 16 goals shipped in the last 3 league games, 20 if you count the cup as well, and a single solitary goal for.

Sorry i don't buy into the whole so many games business, its the same for all other clubs. 

Whilst other clubs are starting to gel and get used to playing together, We're doing the exact opposite.

As already mentioned, the silence is deafening. When is it time to say enough is enough

Wasn't there and haven't seen any highlights, so only got a few sketchy reports to go on. From those though, it appears that this was a comfortable win for 14th placed colts. They'd scored 3 goals in total in their previous 5 games, but doubled that against our 'after you, mate' defence. 

Didn't hear of any hard luck stories up front either. 

OK we have a lot of injuries, but that doesn't explain why we are absolutely nowhere near ever making a game of it. 

And so far, no post match interview again. 

That seems to be the "hit the nail on the head" moment.

On paper the line ups doesn't seem that bad. then lower placed sides are handing us our arses.

I also find it concerning, lack of information/interviews/anything really. If you look at the website, its still showing 23/24 kit with a most sold out. then you look at other bits, again sold out. youve now got to hunt for a little white box for the next fixture, where as it was prominent on the top of the page.

I do realise that most of this is done by volunteers but if we want to promote the club surely thats something to address. I support the club and was going to take in the Boness game but now I'm having second thoughts

Posted (edited)

Full match report says we had an improved performance from Tuesday. 😂😂 You don't say. 11 piss heads from the local Allotment society would have improved on that shitshow.

But, an injury ridden back line just caved in again. 

Thank God for a week off to recover a bit of mojo, ease those injuries and hunt for the post-match interview microphone. 

Edited by Redcar

OK another Saturday, another home defeat, not by a little either, another 3 goals shipped. again couldn't score in a brothel

Yes we have injuries, I'm sure every other team has injuries too.

So we have a thoroughly utterly impotent strikeforce, non existant midfield and a defense that leaks faster than the titanic.

Jesus H. they say the league doesn't lie, but quite clearly it does, we should not be at 9th, and the rate we are going its bottom for Christmas and East of Scotland next year. 

Signings have had zero impact. We've had the week off after a rut of games and bugger all has changed. When is the time to ask questions ??

1 hour ago, berwicksfinest said:

OK another Saturday, another home defeat, not by a little either, another 3 goals shipped. again couldn't score in a brothel

Yes we have injuries, I'm sure every other team has injuries too.

So we have a thoroughly utterly impotent strikeforce, non existant midfield and a defense that leaks faster than the titanic.

Jesus H. they say the league doesn't lie, but quite clearly it does, we should not be at 9th, and the rate we are going its bottom for Christmas and East of Scotland next year. 

Signings have had zero impact. We've had the week off after a rut of games and bugger all has changed. When is the time to ask questions ??

The only defence I'd make to that is that - in theory at least - Cook, Rodger and Barr would make a big difference.

I don't accept that that is necessarily true about Fellows, O'Connor, Mackay, Harris and Collins, though none of them would be worse than some of those on the pitch today. 

We were awful again today, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We were particularly awful at 1st touch, 2nd ball, anticipation and above all, character. If you are getting stuffed 3-0 at home (after 4 shockingly bad performances) , if you have anything about you, you don't chicken out of tackles or play the ball backwards when you have space down the wing, or just lump it aimlessly forward or pass to a marked team mate cos you think you might make a tit of yourself by trying to play some football. 

Absolutely gash today, and the finger starts pointing directly towards those in charge of training on a Thursday night.  

24 minutes ago, Redcar said:

The only defence I'd make to that is that - in theory at least - Cook, Rodger and Barr would make a big difference.

I don't accept that that is necessarily true about Fellows, O'Connor, Mackay, Harris and Collins, though none of them would be worse than some of those on the pitch today. 

We were awful again today, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We were particularly awful at 1st touch, 2nd ball, anticipation and above all, character. If you are getting stuffed 3-0 at home (after 4 shockingly bad performances) , if you have anything about you, you don't chicken out of tackles or play the ball backwards when you have space down the wing, or just lump it aimlessly forward or pass to a marked team mate cos you think you might make a tit of yourself by trying to play some football. 

Absolutely gash today, and the finger starts pointing directly towards those in charge of training on a Thursday night.  

One thing I would say though, the point is though the replacement for injuries may not be like for like replacements, but I was always under the impression, you fought for your place in the team, now is the time to prove that your good enough if not better than the player you replace.

Clearly thats not the case, not even by a long way. so why contract them, if theyre there to make up numbers, quite literally they are no more than a drain on the clubs resources.

I appreciate there is limited resources within the club, but look at season 24/25, if we fielded and illegible player the ensueing result would better 2 league games and a cup game, and equal 2 league games in the last 5 matches. that takes some doing.

I guess the cumulative effect of 5 drubbings in a row coloured my thoughts on Saturday night. 

Taking Saturday's game in isolation though, we had 8 of our best players out injured and perhaps a 3-0 defeat against a really decent Braves team was all we should expect. The youngsters are probably a bit shell-shocked. 

This Month, we have 3 cup games against lower league opposition (including Cupar Hearts at home in the 1st round of the Scottish Cup). Some of these players will recover and this is an ideal period to learn how to win again  and get some confidence back in the team. 

Reset, go again, start winning.