Your car history

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

You know how to live! 

I was 30 odd when I passed my test. I couldn't have been a boy racer. If I got anything decent people would think I was in a mid-life crisis.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was 30 odd when I passed my test. I couldn't have been a boy racer. If I got anything decent people would think I was in a mid-life crisis.

‘Twas but an easy excuse to use one of your frequent quotes back on yourself.  

I’ve been MLCing for 30 years now. It’s fun, you should give it a go! 

5 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

‘Twas but an easy excuse to use one of your frequent quotes back on yourself.  

I’ve been MLCing for 30 years now. It’s fun, you should give it a go! 

I am a wee bit with the 500, it's quite a nippy wee thing.

I seen a review on YouTube that claimed there was a survey and it was the car most likely to be driven by attractive women. I get a lot of disappointed looks at traffic lights.

29 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Brilliant car, but won't get you a burd...or even a friend.

Seems to be the theme of all your cars. 

other than the citigo which is a perfect wingman. 

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

Seems to be the theme of all your cars. 

other than the citigo which is a perfect wingman. 

I said at the outset how boring they all were. The first Daewoo was written off in a spectacular crash and the Laguna destroyed some temporary traffic lights when the exhaust split in two and scooped up the cable connecting the lights to a generator. There was even a workie on a step ladder fixing them when I dragged them down the road.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I said at the outset how boring they all were. The first Daewoo was written off in a spectacular crash and the Laguna destroyed some temporary traffic lights when the exhaust split in two and scooped up the cable connecting the lights to a generator. There was even a workie on a step ladder fixing them when I dragged them down the road.

Greenie foot that story.  Belter.

This is where my old boy’s car career peaked - a 2.8 Granada Ghia. (Not this car but the same).  He was like a dug with the twa proverbials the night he came home with it. 1st August of course, the first man in the town with the first of the new registrations..

IMG_8913.jpeg

Edited by alta-pete

6 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Greenie foot that story.  Belter.

I've mentioned it before on here. Same with this one.

I left the handbrake off the Xsara and jumped out quickly to run an errand. I came back out and thought it had been stolen, until a guy pointed it out about a hundred yards away against a brick gate pillar. Back end caved in but light damage to the pillar. I went to the door to confess and the guy said it was ok, he was blind and wouldn't have noticed. I couldn't help wondering about the potential catastrophe if he'd been at the end of his drive.

On 21/07/2024 at 10:28, johnnydun said:

100% one of the best cars I've owned. Absolutely loved mine and it was incredibly low...

IMG_1243.thumb.JPG.e4f809bf3823ef33d84b6cc897073b80.JPG

As for my car list, I have had quite a few over the years and in the more recent years 2 cars at a time, probably missing some...

Nova - 2 door saloon, or coupe as I would tell my mates.

Fiesta 

Mini (OG)

MG ZR - Usual head gasket problem.

(Then kids come along)

Mondeo

Peugeot 307

Hilux - Company Car.

BMW 530d - Looked like a dealer in this, black with tinted windows, excellent car.

Impreza Turbo - Wish I kept this, probably worth a fortune.

(Then dogs enter the chat)

Laguna Estate - Broke down on the Haudagain roundabout as the gearbox decided to fall out.

Focus

Volvo V40 Estate - Had about 230k miles on it.

Grand Espace - Absolutely massive and you could take all the seats out to use as a van. Hated it though.

Grand Cherokee - Comfortable.

Citroën C2 - French cars are fuckin shite, I will never buy another Citroën.

Nissan Navara - Cost me a fortune to MOT, all the suspension was fucked. 

Golf GTD

Lexus IS200 - Would easy have one of these again.

Mondeo ST - Really sluggish for what it was.

Peugeot 206 GTi (This ended up round a telegraph pole)...

IMG_0218.thumb.JPG.13b1d6a1aecae998ec261df9935a1839.JPG

Audi A3

Astra - Mk5 utterly shite.

Volvo XC60 - Needed a new engine 1 month out of warranty, that was painful.

Astra - Company Car.

Fiesta - 1.5 Diesel.Tax exempt due to low emissions, can't drive in the LEZ due to high emissions. Figure that one out?

Leon FR - 2l Turbo.

Loved.. Golf GTD, Impreza, IS200, BMW 530d.

Hated.. Astra Mk5, Grand Espace, C2, Laguna Mk2 Estate.

Greenie for Impreza. I'm on my 3rd.

8 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

It's a pity you never looked after the first one.

MY00 Classic SilverTurbo 2000......traded for

MY03 WR Blue/Gold wheels STi.....followed by various shite then

MY15 WRX STi.........The dogs bollocks.

2 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

MY00 Classic SilverTurbo 2000......traded for

MY03 WR Blue/Gold wheels STi.....followed by various shite then

MY15 WRX STi.........The dogs bollocks.

Quite impressive, a kind of King Midas in reverse.

A decent motor to a set of canine clackers.

30 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've mentioned it before on here. Same with this one.

I left the handbrake off the Xsara and jumped out quickly to run an errand. I came back out and thought it had been stolen, until a guy pointed it out about a hundred yards away against a brick gate pillar. Back end caved in but light damage to the pillar. I went to the door to confess and the guy said it was ok, he was blind and wouldn't have noticed. I couldn't help wondering about the potential catastrophe if he'd been at the end of his drive.

Similar story.  My mate's missus parked her car on a hill.  Came back and thought it was nicked only to find it through a wall and in someone's garden.

First car was a 2004 Renault Clio 1.2. Absolutely loved it

Replaced with a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Excite. Possibly the least exciting car in the known universe and was dangerously slow. Had it about a week and wished I'd just kept the Clio. 

Then got a VW Scirocco 2litre diesel. Brilliant car but when covid hit and I stopped doing enough miles to justify a diesel I was getting constant DPF lights in the dash. They cleared after a blast down the motorway but it just became annoying. 

Next car was a Renault Megane RS 300. Absolutely rapid and great to just take for a drive. Resented it a bit towards the end when I started commuting for work regularly again and the fuel bills added up. Still miss this car though. 

Currently in a Seat Leon 1.5. Got it to replace the Megane thinking it would be more economical. It is to be fair but not to the extent I thought it would be while being nowhere near as fun as the Megane. Due to change next year so will probably go for something a bit daft again. 

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

First car was a 2004 Renault Clio 1.2. Absolutely loved it

Replaced with a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Excite. Possibly the least exciting car in the known universe and was dangerously slow. Had it about a week and wished I'd just kept the Clio. 

Then got a VW Scirocco 2litre diesel. Brilliant car but when covid hit and I stopped doing enough miles to justify a diesel I was getting constant DPF lights in the dash. They cleared after a blast down the motorway but it just became annoying. 

Next car was a Renault Megane RS 300. Absolutely rapid and great to just take for a drive. Resented it a bit towards the end when I started commuting for work regularly again and the fuel bills added up. Still miss this car though. 

Currently in a Seat Leon 1.5. Got it to replace the Megane thinking it would be more economical. It is to be fair but not to the extent I thought it would be while being nowhere near as fun as the Megane. Due to change next year so will probably go for something a bit daft again. 

I had to trade my middle Scooby for Audi diesels when I moved to Ayr and still working in Glasgow as I was filling the tank every 3 days! Eight years of motoring boredom followed but its great again to go for a country blast when you fancy it.

14 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Similar story.  My mate's missus parked her car on a hill.  Came back and thought it was nicked only to find it through a wall and in someone's garden.

The old man used to park his car on a hill and put it in reverse instead of neutral if it was facing down the hill. 

Best to remember you've done this before you start up again though.. .

55 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The old man used to park his car on a hill and put it in reverse instead of neutral if it was facing down the hill. 

And turn the wheels to point to the kerb.

Always leave my car in gear anyway irrespective of it being on a hill or not and, as you say, in reverse if pointing down hill.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Because of new cars (maybe just mine?) I'd forgotten you used to be able to start a car without putting the clutch in.

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

And turn the wheels to point to the kerb.

Always leave my car in gear anyway irrespective of it being on a hill or not and, as you say, in reverse if pointing down hill.

I normally always leave it in gear. The time I didn't it rolled away. I think I stuck it neutral with the engine running, paused to look for something, then just switched off,  jumped out and off it went.