Your car history

30 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Last Century: too many to list, some decent, some clunkers, but my favourite was my first, a basic 1989 Astra 1.3 (silver; many, many speeding tickets.) Worst was a Renault Laguna (also Silver, woeful electrics.)

This Century I have been mostly driving Jaguars: S-Type 3.0 (Ultraviolet), S-Type R 4.2 (British Racing Green), F-Pace (Caesium Blue), and currently an XJR (Yulong White), and my wife's iPace (Firenze Red.) All-time favourite, by an absolute  mile, is the XJR, an absolute fucking beast of a car.

Never thought I'd say this, but I must confess to a sneaking liking for the wife's iPace, whose acceleration isn't far off the XJR. Feels more "car-like" than a Tesla too.

Gay is gay don’t try & lay the dark side on us Tesla boys!

Posted (edited)

For the west coasters how many of you were regular visitors to Ayr shore on a Friday night and Strathclyde Park on a Sunday?

I saw some sights in both of those places back in the day.

ETA - by back in the day I’m talking about 2004/2005/2006 roughly.

Edited by Sortmeout

7 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

For the west coasters how many of you were regular visitors to Ayr shore on a Friday night and Strathclyde Park on a Sunday?

I saw some sights in both of those places back in the day.

ETA - by back in the day I’m talking about 2004/2005/2006 roughly.

I lived within almost literal spitting distance of Strathclyde Park until the early eighties. Some of the "wee Sengas" that hung out by the secluded car parks then were probably still around in your day, but 25 years rougher and more than slightly shop-soiled.

I generally keep my cars for donkeys as can't be hooped changing and do very little mileage so not a huge list

Toyota Starlet - not the cooly boy racer one but the granny mobile looking type. I liked it though even though it had no power steering and couldn't go above 70 in windy conditions as you lost the ability to steer. Ended up forcibly scrapping it after getting pulled over by the polis and then didn't bother my arse fixing anything within the 21 day notice.

MG ZT - I quite liked it but inevitably the head gasket went, wrecked the turbo and all of the exhaust in the process. Didn't realise I had done it at the time as was on the motorway and eventually came off to a set of lights and there was smoke everywhere. I can remember thinking ooft somebody's car is fucked it was the second set of traffic lights before I clicked.

Volkswagen Scirocco - Old style one with the flippy lights that I always wanted. It was temperamental AF and would often cut out for no reason. When you put your lights on full beam it would also kill all the instruments on the dash to zero.

Renault Clio -An absolute meh car

Porsche Cayman S - Despite the impracticality of it I loved it. Wasn't even a flashy Porsche person but it was a more understated racing green and my pal was selling it so bought it for a laugh. Would buy another Porsche now.

Volkswagen California - Fancied a camper and thankfully bought it before the post lockdown boom. Thought it would be strange going from a two seater sports car to this but I quite like the high riding position

First car, C reg Beetle. (That’s C at the end of the number plate, not at the start). It had a 6 volt electrical system, so when I installed a radio I had to buy a 12 volt battery, place it under the back seat and using alligator clips connect the radio to the battery. 

Put it in for MOT and it was instantly condemned. Wings, sills, chassis etc were essentially being held together by strips of glass fibre. It was an absolute death trap. And yet my abiding memory of it is going down the hill on the M90 at 70mph heading for the Forth Bridge. I was 18 years old and to be honest health and safety wasn’t really up there as a priority. 

Far too many to mention them all but this is the best car I have driven, just a pity it was only a few laps of Knockhill, I did try and persuade Mrs Soze to sell the house and buy a caravan but she unpolitely declined. 

1093952_10151855433140960_1182477001_o.jpg

5 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I had a red car and it was fucking shit. Being French probably didn’t help it either. 

^^^ xenophobic driver.  My last three cars in reverse order were Swedish, German and German.  They were great.

I will try to remember them all

Vauxhall Nova. Huge amounts of smoke out of the exhaust every time I started her up.

Vauxhall Cavalier (estate). Loved it. To this day the number plate forms part of my computer password.

Ford Orion. Pile of shite. Regretted buying it pretty much right away. Should have kept the Vauxhall.

Daewoo Nexia. An Astra by any other name...

Citroen Xsara. Drank petrol by the gallon. Written off when a guy drove jnto the side of it, injuring the wife.

Vauxhall Corsa. forgettable.

Vauxhall Zafira. The engine literally exploded one day. Parts if it came through the side of the car.

Kia Rio. Made of melted action men. Horrible.

Suzuki Wagon. Wonderful wee car. Loved that one. But too small when we were expecting another baby.

Citroen something or other. Written off when the computer died.

Mazda 2. Decent car, had it for years.

Ford Ka. Kennedy Cars in Bargeddie utterly ripped me off with this one. Pile of dung.

Dacia Duster. The best ever (so far)

Vauxhall Crossland. So far so good.

In addition the wife has had various cars. Including Micras, Fiat 500s and, as of Friday, an MG.

Not had many tbh, tend to keep them as long as I can.

L reg Mk3 1.4 Golf Ryder - A pile of shite with 4 gears and locks that froze every winter. Almost blew it up going to Ninewells one night at 80mph, blew virtually every possible oil seal and it spent the night steaming away in the car park. Loved it. Fairly sure the person bought it from me solely for the reg number, which is now on a 375bhp Mercedes 😂

W reg Mk4 1.4 Golf - Felt like total luxury after the first. Gear linkage was tight and I could never be arsed sorting it so almost never used 1st gear. Clutch lasted surprisingly long. Changed it solely because I was young and wanted the next one.

E46 1.8 BMW 318 compact - Felt even more like luxury than the last one, and was surprisingly reliable. Had to do almost every brake pipe and the timing chain jumped, but didn't actually damage anything. Got rid of it at the right time as the back end started to rot and it was scrapped a year after I sold it.

51 reg Mk2 1.8 Octavia - Wanted more power, but wanted something reliable and cheap to sort. Done all sorts of daft shite to this like CAIs and blow off valves, and it was a great laugh tbh. Was fun as f**k to launch around the place too.

63 reg Mk3 2.0 Octavia - Current car. Wanted an upgrade and was very reasonably priced. Bigger turbo (is38) and a remap that makes it "normal" at low speeds, but launches you off the road when you floor it because the traction can't cope with the torque, has made it more fun than it was. Extra size, plus the extra power, makes it hard for me to upgrade too without going to (for me) large money, but I feel like we're approaching a point for me wanting something new too.

Riley 1.5
Triumph TR4
Saab 96 2-stroke
Triumph TR5 PI
Triumph Herald
Mini
Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Mk1
Plymouth Satellite 318ci
Triumph TR6 PI
Vauxhall Astra
Lancia Beta Monte Carlo
BMW E30 325I
Porsche 911 SC
Rover 820i
Triumph Dolomite Sprint
Citroen BX19 GT
Vauxhall Carlton GSI 3000
BMW 535i Sport
Mercedes 300E
Citroen 2CV
Citroen BX19 RD
Ford Fiesta
Fiat Tipo
Austin Maestro Mayfair
Mercedes W123 240D
Rover 218SD
Fiat Panda
Peugeot 106
Peugeot 406
VW Golf 1.9 TDI
Toyota Yaris - Current

So much money spent on cars...

Edited by beefybake

12 minutes ago, beefybake said:
Riley 1.5
Triumph TR4
Saab 96 2-stroke
Triumph TR5 PI
Triumph Herald
Mini
Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Mk1
Plymouth Satellite 318ci
Triumph TR6 PI
Vauxhall Astra
Lancia Beta Monte Carlo
BMW E30 325I
Porsche 911 SC
Rover 820i
Triumph Dolomite Sprint
Citroen BX19 GT
BMW 535i Sport
Mercedes 300E
Citroen 2CV
Citroen BX19 RD
Ford Fiesta
Fiat Tipo
Austin Maestro Mayfair
Mercedes W123 240D
Rover 218SD
Fiat Panda
Peugeot 106
Peugeot 406
VW Golf 1.9 TDI
Toyota Yaris - Current

Jaguar, Tipo, Panda, 2CV, Porsche  .  .  . that’s a full deck of cards you’ve got there. 

Too many to list.  Went for best and worst cars.

Best

1987 Renault 5 turbo (leased) Flying machine!

2004 Seat Toledo 1.8T (looked boring, went like shit off a shovel)

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS  (see Toledo comment)

1971  VW Beetle

2004 Mercedes CLK320 (current car)

Worst

1995 Fiesta Deisel.  (leased from new. It had rust appear on both front and rear valances at 6 weeks old. Had no power steering. As a result you needed to be Shwarzenneger to reverse park it. Numerous squeaks and rattles from new).

Daf 33 can't remember what year it was. The most granny of granny cars. Had the first CVT transmission to be fitted to any car. Kept it a few weeks then gave it to a friend who had just passed his test.

Volvo 340.  Ugly, overweight and underpowered.

1988 Fiat Panda 750.  To make any progress the accelerator had to be buried into the carpet at all times.

Ford Fiesta

Ford Ka

Audi A4

Lexus iS200

Ford Mondeo

Toyota Raize

Not all that many for me considering I'm an older c***.  Didn't start driving until 39 and then didn't drive between 2004 and 2023 (living abroad, not in the jail before anybody asks).

8 hours ago, beefybake said:
Riley 1.5
Triumph TR4
Saab 96 2-stroke
Triumph TR5 PI
Triumph Herald
Mini
Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Mk1
Plymouth Satellite 318ci
Triumph TR6 PI
Vauxhall Astra
Lancia Beta Monte Carlo
BMW E30 325I
Porsche 911 SC
Rover 820i
Triumph Dolomite Sprint
Citroen BX19 GT
BMW 535i Sport
Mercedes 300E
Citroen 2CV
Citroen BX19 RD
Ford Fiesta
Fiat Tipo
Austin Maestro Mayfair
Mercedes W123 240D
Rover 218SD
Fiat Panda
Peugeot 106
Peugeot 406
VW Golf 1.9 TDI
Toyota Yaris - Current

There can be only one explanation for that eclectic mix, (and it doesn’t even feature on the list!)…