Basque Country

Stu

Heading to San Sebastian and Bilbao for a week or so at the start of September. Anyone been before got any advice? Main reason we're going is for the pintxos.

Had a wee look for a thread on here but couldn't see one, apologies if there is one.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Heading to San Sebastian and Bilbao for a week or so at the start of September. Anyone been before got any advice? Main reason we're going is for the pintxos.

Had a wee look for a thread on here but couldn't see one, apologies if there is one.

Did them last year. Loved it. But indeed, mainly because of the pintxos culture!

Probably don't have much advice you wouldn't get elsewhere unfortunately. Guggenhiem was good, I also enjoyed the maritime museum in Bilboa (but I'm quite interested in sea related things). Bilboa stadium is pretty central if there's a game on?

San Sebastian - I can't think of anything we did other than drinking and eating! We did go a walk up the hill at the back of the cathedral in the old town. It was nice and not particularly strenuous. We stumbled across a hillside bar really enjoyed. Having just looked I think it was Urgulleko Polboriña.

Not been to Bilbao for far too long. Pinxos are ubiquitous around the city though. The old town is a good place to start. 

Tend to be added to your tab then you settle up your tab when you move on.

Probably worth a wee Google. Plenty of reviews around.

https://www.bascofinefoods.com/travel-reviews/top-10-pintxo-bars-in-bilbao/

Quite a good example above but may be dated.

Can't remember the names of the bars visited for various reasons but you'll be fine just having a wander.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Have been a few times. Love the place. The old towns of both are great. San Seb/ Donostia has more bars per capita in its old town than any other town in Europe apparently. Beaches are great. If you love blood-soaked ribs (I don't but...) and cider, head to one of the cider houses.

Guggenheim in Blibo is well worth a visit too.

Just don't say you're in Spain.

4821473527_6508d44a1b_b.jpg

Edited by Crùbag

As above, the Guggenheim is good and the Old Town is good for food. The tour of San Mames, the Athletic Club stadium, is well worth doing too. Great place, and I wish there was still a direct flight to Bilbao from Scotland

I went 25 years ago and enjoyed myself. Saw a game at the old San Mames (Jocky Bjorklund was playing for Valencia. They lost :lol:) and went to the Guggenheim. There is also a small art gallery in Bilbao. 

San Sebastian has an old fort with a military museum. The British were here in the Peninsular War and accidentally burned the city down (it was a Colonel Richard Sharpe's fault I tell you). 

There is also a nice resort at Zarautz and I was also able to take a bus to Azkoitia which is in the hinterland and was quite interesting. 

Thanks folks. Planning to go for a tour of San Mames - no games as it's the international break. Will probably end up doing a pinxtos tour the first day in San Sebastian as well.

11 hours ago, Stu said:

No idea if it would be of interest (not a normal touristy thing) but I went there about 35 years ago to visit the workers cooperatives in Mondragon.  Pretty fascinating place.

Drove up from Barcelona and as I got closer had to stop and ask for directions from heavily armed military guys, this was when ETA was a big perceived threat (and preceded sat nav!).

Hope you enjoy.

On 22/07/2024 at 17:31, Crùbag said:

Beaches are great. If you love blood-soaked ribs

I'm glad you're good with punctuation. I had to read that line twice, wondering what had happened on those beaches!