Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

The view

The fratellis

Whole host of indie type bands from the mid to late naughties just seemed to disappear overnight tbh. 

There were so many Britpop bands who had top ten hits who then disappeared rapidly circa 1998.

The funniest story about a band like that I ever heard was about Gay Dad, who were massively hyped in the music press - helped by the fact that Cliff Jones, the frontman, was himself a music journalist.  Fancy that!  They managed a couple of hits, some pretty big tours etc.  Then they went to break America.  First gig was somewhere named after an ice cream - the band assumed it was a venue sponsored by a local ice cream place but no, they were literally playing in the corner of an ice cream parlour, knocking out their hits as people came in for a cone or two.

Kula Shaker were heavy into conspiracy theory stuff, they played at conventions for David Icke supporters, i think they've started doing that circuit again.  Crispian Mills said in an interview that he wanted to appear on stage in front of giant flaming swastikas, because he was, like, such a deep Hindu man.

A load of fucking c***s.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Kula Shaker were heavy into conspiracy theory stuff, they played at conventions for David Icke supporters, i think they've started doing that circuit again.  Crispian Mills said in an interview that he wanted to appear on stage in front of giant flaming swastikas, because he was, like, such a deep Hindu man.

A load of fucking c***s.

This isn't a rock folk should look under. 

Dave Grohl (aka the nicest man in rock) and the Foo Fighters held AIDS denialism concerts and backed various nutbag theories back in the day.

Bands in general have disappeared from the charts, saw a clip of Richard Osman podcast on twitter and there have been 3 weeks of bands being at number 1 in the singles chart in the 2020s. Everything else is solo artists or collaborations. 

One of the three weeks was the Beatles, and one was the live lounge all stars who did the foo fighters song during first lockdown so effectively loads of different individuals. Only leaves Little Mix as a band who would actually tour to have had one solitary week at number 1 in this decade. 

The comparable figures for the first 5 years of the 1980s and 1990s were around 140 weeks. 

Most the bands mentioned are either still together or have got back together to cash in on the nostalgia factor.

Take early 00s Nu Metal heroes Limp Bizkit. Few big hits over 20 years ago then relative obscurity. Now the lead singer, Fred Durst looks like yer grandad having some sort of breakdown

image.thumb.png.5326daa13b316dba776670e4aa49e0bb.png

6 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

The La's. One brilliant album in 1990 and apparently Lee Mavers has been working on the difficult second album ever since.

I saw Lee Mavers doing a solo show about 15 years ago in Amsterdam, it was him and his mate playing drums, he was clearly wrecked, it was terrible and quite sad, halfway through he decided he wanted a shot on the drums, he was actually a decent enough drummer but it was rather bizarre.

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

The Coral were on telly more often than the news when ‘Dreaming Of You’ dropped; they’ve continued ploughing away in relative obscurity since. See also (if you’re really old) The Frank And Walters with ‘After All’. That led to the label having execrable scouse c**t Ian Broudie re-produce the first album, take all the fun out of it, and then the second one sold about 14 copies. Most recently seen (by me, at least) as the band in the school prom episode of The Young Offenders 

The singer from the Coral was on 6 Music for about a month pimping his solo record, which apparently is great.  Does nothing at all for me, but I’m sure it sold well.

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Kate Nash is back, apparently. New album a few weeks ago and played halfway up the bill of that big thing in Brighton last week. The Kooks headlined. *sighs*. 

ETA - and it’s only within the last couple of years the Daily Record have accepted they’re not going to make Sandi Thom a thing and calling someone ‘Scottish legend’ when they don’t sell out Tuts is a bit of a minter. 

I think she’s doing Countdown now anyway.