Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

10 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Seeing the Zutons in December, they supporting Paul Heaton on his tour.

Last time I saw them they were supporting REM @ Loch Lomond, mostly want to see them so I can scream at folk 'this is what the song Valerie should sound like, not being butchered by that warbling Bint Winehouse'.

Saw them at the Barras far too long ago, and I recall the lead singer introducing Valerie as 'our fucking song', so perhaps he didn't like that version.

On a related note, the Zutons' sax player has the same co-ordination on stage as the aforementioned singer, i.e none at all.

Also, I will also be at the Paul Heaton gig.

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Last time I saw them (can't mind where but it was a year or two after Winehouse covered it) the lead singer proclaimed

"We don't normally say anything but this is our fucking song..." (very Scousely) then Valarie kicked in. 

We must have been at the same gig. I'll say 2005.

13 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Keane

Been on hiatus/break for a bit, think Tom did solo albums instead, but back again in the last few months. Did Glastonbury and another festival - Isle of Wight maybe
Playing the O2 Academy Edinburgh Corn Exchange on the 1st of August. Also the Hydro later on in the year but not going to that one.

7 hours ago, throbber said:

I remember hard fi releasing an abysmal album in 2011 and then falling off the radar altogether. Not that they were particularly good to start with but haven’t seen them mentioned yet.

11 hours ago, Spyro said:

Apart from their regular mentions on Peep show, Hard-fi disappeared pretty quickly.

You got me on ignore or summat 😉

13 minutes ago, Spyro said:

You got me on ignore or summat 😉

I was too lost in 00’s nostalgia to thoroughly go over every post. I apologise. 

I remember their song “good for nothing” from their 2011 album was played constantly and was so laughably awful it was almost like an incomplete demo yet it was getting constant airtime. I assume too many people complained about how awful it was and they were fired off into the sun not long after.

The issue with most these bands was that they poured all their energy into their first album to get big and then spend a year or so touring and getting high on their own supply but then when it comes to writing a second album their energy is completely different and they can’t follow it up. Look at likes of hard fi, pigeon detectives, wombats etc - they’re singing about boozy lifestyles and chasing girls that hang around shitty pubs which is a why people related to them, After a year or so has passed they have got semi famous they aren’t in the same mindset as they were before and are hanging about in different circles so find it difficult to release new material that still appeals to their original audience.

Arctic monkeys first album was similar and lots of songs were about the Sheffield club scene but they were able to change their style with the second album, even if a lot of people didn’t like it they clearly knew they had to progress with their music rather than just be people pleasers which is why they are still headlining festivals nowadays. That said oasis and their founding members have been churning out the exact same music for 30 years now and nobody seems to want to see the back of them so who knows.

7 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

We must have been at the same gig. I'll say 2005.

It was maybe 08 or 09, cos Amy's version was 2007 (Zutons was 2006)

21 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Are Placebo still about?

EDIT - seemingly so, last album was 2022

I listened to it as it came out I canny even mind it though, all it did was make me add Nancy boy, Pure Morning & Every You Every Me to my big playlist

Things are going well for Razorlight:

May be an image of text

What's the capacity for the Mash House? 200? 250? (although it seemed like a lot more than that were there for Wet Leg a couple of years back...)

Edited by funky_nomad

9 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

Been on hiatus/break for a bit, think Tom did solo albums instead, but back again in the last few months. Did Glastonbury and another festival - Isle of Wight maybe
Playing the O2 Academy Edinburgh Corn Exchange on the 1st of August. Also the Hydro later on in the year but not going to that one.

Are they planning on doing a collaboration with Pitbull?