St. Mirren charged £29 for tickets against Valur and have sold out all three home stands, plus another 900 tickets to Saints supporters in the away end! Unlike previous sell-outs, there will have been no free tickets distributed to schools, either. The Old Firm charge obscene amounts for all of their fixtures and sell-out their stadiums!

As @skinny arab suggests, it's clearly a matter of supply and demand. Folk must have the money, but fans' willingness to pay is different for different clubs. A Dundee derby is a big occasion, but is it not a question of trying to fleece the away supporters? Surely most ardent Dundee fans will have already bought a season ticket, so will not be hit by the exorbitant prices? 

I don't want to give anyone ideas but I'd prob pay 50 quid for a derby ticket.

We are probably beyond the point of what I would pay for other games though. I probably won't be attending any more than 2 non Tayside away matches this year and it will be part of a an occasional big day out with pals.

I'll go to Midlands League games when United are away.

25 quid is the maximum I would pay and even then I'd feel like I was being ripped off.

For Premiership matches I feel I've been priced out now. £35 is my limit. Which at Celtic is now the norm. I now prefer to go watch Lower and Non League. Prices are far more reasonable. 

Watching games in either the West or East of Scotland leagues is between £6-£10. Games are entertaining and more often that not have plenty of goals. 

I can watch from 3 to 5 games for the price of one ticket at Celtic park. 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I guess as we’d been starved of football and had a good team then yes a lot of Saints fans would that year.

But in the context of a normal season then no, I’d think there would be quite an outcry as well with many staying away.

I think good on Dundee fans for boycotting Tannadice, it’s a ridiculous price and deserves to make a loss. But opening game of the season, team playing well and a first derby for a couple of years is a difficult one to not go to for the difference of less than £10.  And yes I realise this is where the problem lies, as fans have to make a stand at some point.

I’ll break character - I don’t think this thread and conversation in general is any slight on the DABs - we will have the same prices for them no doubt and haven’t been far off that (or possibly at that level) for Cat A games recently. 

The price of this game is horrific - but talk of boycotting etc is mental if aimed at DAB pricing - any boycott talks should be at league level although it’s difficult with the sliding scale of game categories etc.

As someone with multiple kids thanks to my dashing good looks and devil may care attitude to shagging it’s a rip off for me - I’d be paying for 2 adults and 2 students/concessions I think as my youngest is 13 - I did look it up  and calculate it a few weeks ago and it was a pisstake so I won’t be going to this one.

I know we've been out the top flight for a year or two* now, but the idea of paying £25+ for a run of the mill league game blows my mind. Absolutely no chance I would pay £30, and if Falkirk make it up in the next two or three years at those sort of prices I would be pretty much out. Take a fiver off those numbers for 2nd tier football.

I have been lucky enough to qualify as a concession for a number of years, and have a season ticket, and the saving led me to buy another concession season ticket for a League 2 club. Sometimes I can get to two games at a weekend as a result, which I enjoy, but hardly ever will I pay for a match ticket nowadays. 

The rising prices have been led by the Glasgow twins, with others following suit. From the mid 80's, there was an increase over inflation every season to access football. 

I've still got tickets from 1983, a top league league game cost £1.50 (around £6.33 in 2024), which indicates the changing cost of entry.

For me the top flight should be capped at £25, Championship at £20 and £15 for the seaside leagues. Skipped one of the Dundee Utd away games last season due to the pricing. I'm also aware that we have a general £22 admission which goes up to £24 for 'category A games' just get that chucked in the fucking sea. 

A couple of posters have hit the nail on the head for me. If there was a proportional rise in quality of fare then it would be justifiable. 

But the quality of our league has regressed and its as uncompetitive as it could ever be.

It interesting to read this, 20's plenty has been the message for years, now folk in here suggesting 25 in the new go to.

Who is at fault? 

I think I read somewhere that Scottish Premiership clubs rely mostly on ticket sales, in comparison with other leagues, who can survive comfortably without any attendance at all, due to the league sponsorship and TV deals. So are clubs left with no choice but to raise the price?

Could the clubs lower the price and get more folk in to balance it out?

Is this the Leagues fault for not marketing correctly and getting a better deal?

Is it because the OF will pay the price for CAT A games?

Is it the supporters fault? Have we not been vocal enough about this and just let it happen? After all, they all need us to be able to operate.

24 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is it the supporters fault? Have we not been vocal enough about this and just let it happen? After all, they all need us to be able to operate.

I think this, for a part of it anyway.

People just use the excuse English football does it despite fan protests across the board, but they have a tourist factor that Scottish football simply doesn't.

Always felt we need Old Firm fans to join in with everyone else, and that would make a huge group opposed to it, but they seem reluctant to do anything about it and just sell out every allocation so clubs think they can do what they want.

I just paid a tenner to watch us vs Thistle today and it felt nothing short of robbery. Pitch like a bowling green, facilities improved over a sandpit and non existent scoreboard and PA system 10 years ago. Advances in many aspects but product on the pitch is the same or regressed.

Clubs will point to rising overheads in the aftermath of covid, while fans rightly should cite VAR and pricing that has lost all semblance of fairness. We're in a place now where at £25 it would take you over 2 hours working at minimum wage to attend a game lasting for 1h45m, that ain't right. IPTV doesn't help either, you'd hope that would give extra vigour to the twenty's plenty campaign.

Every club that isn't oversubscribed could do something about this but the only season ticket stuff I ever see is a 5% earlybird saving, I argue because most clubs take their hardcore support for granted as low hanging fruit.

The top flight had already reached the limit for me.

I wouldn’t pay the prices they are asking nowadays, I only go to see the Dons now when I accompany the autistic gent that I look after and I get in as his carer. 

I have a season ticket at East End as my kids support the Pars and had planned going to Tannadice for the opening game last season until I saw the price. I know Utd eventually reduced the price but by then the damage had been done.  The only away game we went to last season was Arbroath. 

If I didn’t have a ST I doubt that I would pay the walk up price at East End for a one off match and I am seriously considering starting to go and watch local non-league football instead. 

I think there’s to be a small amount of balance added to those saying any price increase has been led or is the fault of OF fans.

While I understand the argument of our away allocations being usually sold out means there can be an inference that we are happy with the ticket prices charged, on the flip side, many clubs have been charging OF fans more than the majority of other supporters to attend matches for years. I don’t think I’ve ever heard for there to be a cap on those prices.

It now happens to be that fans of some other clubs are now having to pay the amounts OF fans had to 10/15 years ago. I think a lot of this can be attributed to Scotland becoming one of the highest attended football nations per capita (even without the OF included) so clubs likely see that as an opportunity to squeeze a bit more out of the fans.

And this isn’t a post to say people are wrong to voice their displeasure at it, I fully support that. I think it just needs to be appreciated that things are relative, and just because OF fans sell out away allocations doesn’t mean we are happy with the ticket prices, it just means the prices we pay have consistently been higher than most of Scottish football.

I started attending matches semi-regularly from around 07, and I doubt I’ve paid less than £25 for a ticket on more than a handful of occasions.

Edited by AJF

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

While I understand the argument of our away allocations being usually sold out means there can be an inference that we are happy with the ticket prices charged, on the flip side, many clubs have been charging OF fans more than the majority of other supporters to attend matches for years. I don’t think I’ve ever heard for there to be a cap on those prices.

Our infamous boycott of a match against you at McDiarmid was partially led by the pricing, FWIW.