Southport stabbings

I don’t understand these far right folk.

It’s perfectly understandable to be angry about what happened in Southport on Monday. I’m angry too. So is everyone. 

But these far right groups are turning that anger on the wrong people. The attacker wasn’t doing it in the name of Islamism. In fact we don’t know why he did it at all but it certainly wasn’t religious grounds (my theory is terminally online nutter with a completely irrational hatred of Taylor Swift and her fans)

What people should be doing is turning that anger on the government. Not necessarily from a blame them perspective (after all, they’re less than a month on the job) but certainly from the perspective of strongly lobbying them to clamp down on knife crime big time.

The easiest win for the government is to announce that anyone caught carrying a knife will go to prison.

But it almost seems like the far right guys just want any excuse to take to the streets and cause havoc.

You’ve got three devastated families, several more waiting to hear if their loved one is going to pull through or not, and an entire community coming to terms with the shock of what has happened. The last thing any of them need is some far right weirdos weaponising what happened. 

36 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

What people should be doing is turning that anger on the government. Not necessarily from a blame them perspective (after all, they’re less than a month on the job) but certainly from the perspective of strongly lobbying them to clamp down on knife crime big time.

The easiest win for the government is to announce that anyone caught carrying a knife will go to prison.

Not to be a damp squib, but “what is a knife”?

If I have a piece of flint with a knapped edge, is that a knife for this…and what about butter knives…

I bought a set of kitchen knives, how may I transport them…

I have a blade and am using it in my garden, adjacent to the public footpath/pavement…maybe during the time kids are walking to/from school…

I have a blade with a sharpened point but no honed edges…

I have a Swiss Army Knife…

I am a professional who uses blades in my job…

The point being, it’s an easy, sweeping position to state on an insanely complex situation. The obvious one would be defining a knife and criminalizing its possession during criminal activity, but surely that’s already covered…and it doesn’t address the base issue.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

... and criminalizing its possession during criminal activity, but surely that’s already covered…and it doesn’t address the base issue.

The law already goes further - possessing a knife in public without good reason is against the law regardless of the criminal activity element. 

Laws are great at controlling those who follow them. 

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

The law already goes further - possessing a knife in public without good reason is against the law regardless of the criminal activity element. 

Laws are great at controlling those who follow them. 

Or useful for selectively enforcing…

14 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

It’s perfectly understandable to be angry about what happened in Southport on Monday. I’m angry too. So is everyone.   But these far right groups are turning that anger on the wrong people...

But it almost seems like the far right guys just want any excuse to take to the streets and cause havoc.

These far right groups are not experiencing or expressing any anger at all over what happened on Monday.  They're instead experiencing delight and expressing jubilation.  Don't for a moment see what they're doing as having anything to do with sadness, fear of even rage.  Their joy is evident in the film clips.

It doesn't "almost seem like they want any excuse to take to the streets and cause havoc" at all.  It's precisely a case of it. 

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

I don’t understand these far right folk.

It’s perfectly understandable to be angry about what happened in Southport on Monday. I’m angry too. So is everyone. 

But these far right groups are turning that anger on the wrong people. The attacker wasn’t doing it in the name of Islamism. In fact we don’t know why he did it at all but it certainly wasn’t religious grounds (my theory is terminally online nutter with a completely irrational hatred of Taylor Swift and her fans)

You’ve got three devastated families, several more waiting to hear if their loved one is going to pull through or not, and an entire community coming to terms with the shock of what has happened. The last thing any of them need is some far right weirdos weaponising what happened. 

You don't need to be a nutter to hate Taylor Swift.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

24 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

These far right groups are not experiencing or expressing any anger anger at all over what happened on Monday.  They're instead experiencing delight and expressing jubilation.  Don't for a moment see what they're doing as having anything to do with sadness, fear of even rage.  Their joy is evident in the film clips.

It doesn't "almost seem like they want any excuse to take to the streets and cause havoc" at all.  It's precisely a case of it. 

The wider problem is that these men are just permanently angry. I do believe they are angry about what's happened and no-one is saying they shouldn't be, but they are triumphant that they "were right" and therefore everyone should listen to their agenda. It was an excuse for violent thuggery. 

They've been radicalised by the Internet and I don't really know how we bring them back from that. 

Whilst the likes of Farage and Robinson are catalysts for these thugs, the mainstream political parties have to take their share of the blame as well.

Continually pandering to racists and not calling out the racists, too scared in case they lose racists votes.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

To be honest, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more of a reaction like this to previous attacks in the UK.  The Manchester bombing, for example, was a mass murder of children but there didn't seem to be any reaction like this, same as the other attacks between 2017 and 2020 (two London bridge stabbings, Parsons Green bomb, Westminster attack).  There was some individual attacks, a guy drove a van into a crowd outside a mosque in London but no mass rioting.

27 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I do believe they are angry about what's happened and no-one is saying they shouldn't be

I think you're mistaken here.

The people who gathered outside the mosque genuinely could not care any less at all about the little girls attacked on Monday.

I think to characterise that response as anger is wildly wide of the mark.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

To be honest, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more of a reaction like this to previous attacks in the UK.  The Manchester bombing, for example, was a mass murder of children but there didn't seem to be any reaction like this, same as the other attacks between 2017 and 2020 (two London bridge stabbings, Parsons Green bomb, Westminster attack).  There was some individual attacks, a guy drove a van into a crowd outside a mosque in London but no mass rioting.

I guess Stephen Yaxley Lennon just the other weekend pumped them all up. Reform politically give them an avenue to be heard and Andrew Tate tells them what “men should be” it’s been brewing away for a while and this is the result. Have to say plenty of the blame lies at Musks door.

I’m assuming the police in Southport are putting extra patrols around Catholic Churches now we know the religion of the alleged perpetrator.

57 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You don't need to be a nutter to hate Taylor Swift.

Really?  Lots of musicians I don’t like their work or them personally but I’m struggling to think of any I ‘hate’

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Really?  Lots of musicians I don’t like their work or them personally but I’m struggling to think of any I ‘hate’

Naw - Taylor Swift deserves a prison sentence for crimes against music.

😉