Seagull Appreciation/ Condemnation Thread

In my first full time job 20+ years ago there was this gull that used to swoop down at the smokers at the goods in/out door. This went on day in day out for a good few weeks. Then one Monday morning they were out and someone commented that the gull hadn't appeared as usual to dive bomb them and another guy starts chuckling to himself. Whats so funny we asked? So he took us to the hedge over the road and there was this gull lying splatted. He had brought in his air rifle when he was on weekend shift and no bosses were about, waited for it to do its usual swoop towards him and blew the thing out the sky!

22 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

How are so many of you losing food from your hand to a bird fs? Can honestly say that has never happened to me.  One comes at me and I’ll punch its beak off, simple as.

I was double teamed.

First one hits you know the back and then the other nips in while you are swinging for gull 1. 

1 hour ago, bobbykdy said:

In my first full time job 20+ years ago there was this gull that used to swoop down at the smokers at the goods in/out door. This went on day in day out for a good few weeks. Then one Monday morning they were out and someone commented that the gull hadn't appeared as usual to dive bomb them and another guy starts chuckling to himself. Whats so funny we asked? So he took us to the hedge over the road and there was this gull lying splatted. He had brought in his air rifle when he was on weekend shift and no bosses were about, waited for it to do its usual swoop towards him and blew the thing out the sky!

A hero of our times. 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was double teamed.

First one hits you know the back and then the other nips in while you are swinging for gull 1. 

You atleast went down fighting mad respect bro.

On 31/07/2024 at 02:23, Don Diego De la Vega said:

There is a boy on our ship that is like a gull whisperer, he somehow has the ability to catch them in his hands and likes to throw them into a shipmates cabin to wake them up our leave them as a surprise for someone coming off watch, not sure who is worse him or the gulls. 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

12 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I worked with a guy offshore who tore the head from a Seagull and stuck it to his hard hat.

It makes more sense when you learn that the guy was a Welder.

I like them when I'm offshore as it's the only* non-human life I see around a place where the only forms of greenery are peas and the pool table.

*apart from the occasional whale/dolphin, and 'Mitch' from Halliburton.

In my old job we used so take turns driving round to the shop for breakfast.

It was Marks turn one of the days and after everyone got back in his micra a thunderous barrage started on the roof like hundreds of golf balls bouncing off it.

Then Mark shouted "ARRGH MY ROLL"

He had left it on the roof to get his key out. By the time he got out the car there was just tin foil left.

Local Facebook maw page has a post warning pet owners that the seagulls on the estate are particularly agitated at moment and are attacking cats. These are the same cats that regularly crap on my front lawn.  

'Mon the seagulls. 

20 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

It was Marks turn one of the days and after everyone got back in his micra a thunderous barrage started on the roof like hundreds of golf balls bouncing off it.

He had left it on the roof to get his key out. By the time he got out the car there was just tin foil left.

Aye, those Micras were cheap shite right enough. 

On 31/07/2024 at 15:22, velo army said:

They're bigger and smarter up here. The ones in the central belt are tiny in comparison. 

Are they f**k 😂

You might see different types - there are a bunch of different herring gulls that'll kick around our shores, but there's not a range of sizes of the exact same gulls based on small geographical areas. That's not how it works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_herring_gull

Anyway, I like them. I like that they give zero f**ks and I like that weaklings are scared of them. The ones with the yellow legs are my favourites.

23 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Was Mark's roll slice/lorne/square?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, milton75 said:

Are they f**k 😂

You might see different types - there are a bunch of different herring gulls that'll kick around our shores, but there's not a range of sizes of the exact same gulls based on small geographical areas. That's not how it works.

The Dutch managed to become the tallest humans (on average) in Europe due to a dairy-rich diet over just a few generations.  Why couldn't other species do similar?

They (seagulls) might not be any more intelligent than their counterparts elsewhere, but they may well have been watching each other and had more opportunities to do so given the close proximity of Aberdeen city centre to its harbour.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The Dutch managed to become the tallest humans (on average) in Europe due to a dairy-rich diet over just a few generations.  Why couldn't other species do similar?

Be a kick in the baws for the Seafish Marketing Board if raiding the bins turns out to be more nutritious tho.

I think most of the big aggressive seagulls you see are herring gulls, which have light grey wings, and sometimes lesser-black backed gulls which are fairly closely related to them.

The giant ones are great black-backed gulls but I only ever see one or two of them at a time, I've never noticed them away from the coast.

If you see gulls that look like herring gulls but not so big then they are probably common gulls. Black headed gulls are quite small, and I don't know if you ever get kittiwakes in urban areas.