Motherwell v Ross County - 03/08/24

After making it through the group stages of the League Cup, Motherwell and County meet at Fir Park on the opening day. This is a fixture that tends to draw up some batshit-mental results; no less than last season where the sides shared 20 goals over the 4 fixtures. 

From the outside looking in, it seems Motherwell have had a bit of a strange summer. With all the ownership patter, selling Bair for a brilliant fee and then boo’s in the final LC fixture against Partick Thistle. I’m not really sure what to expect from them, but my gut feeling tells me that we can definitely walk away from this game with something.

I’d go with something like:

Laidlaw

Brown - Wright - Lamie - Leak - Harmon

Loturi - Randall

Macleod

White - Hale

Really hope Andrew Macleod gets a start on Saturday. He showed enough in the 4 fixtures to justify a position in the eleven. Hopefully Allardice is ready to go but I reckon it’s more likely he’ll only make the bench. I think Hale and White can definitely trouble the Motherwell backline, and I’m excited to see how RH adapts to top flight football.

I’m excited for Saturday. Always happy to be starting the season in the top flight and hopefully the Staggies can go up the road with 3 points. I’ll see you there!

Things were looking promising with doing our business early, allowing for bonding on our trip to the Netherlands. A few good pre-season results have progressed into a less than stellar league cup showing. 2 draws from 4 and not scoring as freely as many others did against the part timers. A lot of our play is ponderous and a can be a frustrating to watch, 4 of our 7 goals score were from defenders.

We had issues for the majority of last season coming out the traps firing at 3pm. This team under Kettlewell seems to lack focus and fire at times and I fear we've gone to crowbarring players into a system rather than adapting a system to the players, which is mad since he has had 3 windows to recruit personnel he wanted. Saving grace at the moment is our horrendous injury list that keeps on growing.

Oxborough has done nothing wrong so far, I wish he distributed the ball quicker to aid counter attacks. McGinn got game time last night so hopefully is back. We're threadbare in midfield and I don't rate Halliday. Our defence still look ropey, I don't know if Balmer's limited game time to date means he gets a nod. 5pm will tell us if the hairdryer the players got on Sunday had an effect.

I think we'll start with this however it wouldn't be my first choice:

Oxborough

McGinn   Casey   Gordon

O'Donnell                           Seddon

Miller Davor Halliday

Robinson Stuparvic

We will concede and probably do so first, 2-2 for me, a stark continuation of 2023/24.

Absolutely can’t lose your opening day game at home to a peer group team but I fear we will. 

Issues all over the park despite getting our business done early and looked completely disjointed and uninspiring throughout the group stages. 

Edited by Allroy for Prez

Games between us were ????? last season. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same this season.

2-2 draw.

4 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

1-1 with a late goal to dig us out of a hole, Halliday to not make a single forward pass, SOD to not beat his man once and 6+ VAR stoppages. 

That and Stamatelopoulos won't get on the pitch because his name is too long for the team sheet image, we'll request a replay, get one and Thistle fans will lose. Their. Shit.

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Ross County to win 1-2

Sounding like MJC on steelmen, are you him?. Last night is was i go along to support the team, but predict a defeat. Great Supporter, not. 

1 minute ago, Yabba is a Turd said:

Sounding like MJC on steelmen, are you him?. Last night is was i go along to support the team, but predict a defeat. Great Supporter, not. 

#patter

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Fear a bit of a drubbing here.  

If that's the case, your lot will be in serious bother.

4 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

1-1 with a late goal to dig us out of a hole, Halliday to not make a single forward pass, SOD to not beat his man once and 6+ VAR stoppages. 

Do we then praise the spirit and comeback? 

Given the whole penalty shoot-out thing in the Betfred groups is separate to the result we're actually *technically* unbeaten through our pre-season.

Tbh, the biggest issue has been injuries.

So far we've signed a bunch of new players (11 in total) but have barely been able to bed many of them in: Balmer, Sparrow, Koutroumbis, Callachan, Seddon have all had limited appearances (or in the case of Koutroumbis none) on top of that we've had injuries to McGinn and Nicholson with Paton and Slattery out long term.

We've been rotating our goalkeepers and for the most part trying to get minutes in the legs for our outfield players. All of which means I don't think we've been able to get anything close to our strongest XI on the park at any point through the 8 games we've played in pre-season (or any of the bounce games).

Tbh, I think that probably underpins a lot of the discontent around the place as at no point does it feel like we've 'clicked'.

I'm not exactly confident about Saturday.

Inclined to agree with @Busta Nut I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose 1-2 here.

Our preparation feels like it's been a bit of a mess off the back of all the injuries and the disruption they've caused.

Edited by capt_oats

9 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

After making it through the group stages of the League Cup, Motherwell and County meet at Fir Park on the opening day. This is a fixture that tends to draw up some batshit-mental results; no less than last season where the sides shared 20 goals over the 4 fixtures. 

From the outside looking in, it seems Motherwell have had a bit of a strange summer. With all the ownership patter, selling Bair for a brilliant fee and then boo’s in the final LC fixture against Partick Thistle. I’m not really sure what to expect from them, but my gut feeling tells me that we can definitely walk away from this game with something.

I’d go with something like:

Laidlaw

Brown - Wright - Lamie - Leak - Harmon

Loturi - Randall

Macleod

White - Hale

Really hope Andrew Macleod gets a start on Saturday. He showed enough in the 4 fixtures to justify a position in the eleven. Hopefully Allardice is ready to go but I reckon it’s more likely he’ll only make the bench. I think Hale and White can definitely trouble the Motherwell backline, and I’m excited to see how RH adapts to top flight football.

I’m excited for Saturday. Always happy to be starting the season in the top flight and hopefully the Staggies can go up the road with 3 points. I’ll see you there!

I love the optimism, and I agree we can get something on Saturday - more likely a draw if I'm honest - but if Allardice is fit then he 100% starts ahead of Litouri. Well, he should anyway.

MacLeod has done alright pre season, but you'd expect he'll be on the bench. Wouldn't be surprised if Telfer comes in but I'd rather Denholm or Grieves played.

What is the story with Nightingale? Would be the first defender on the teamsheet if he's fit. Not that I rate Sheaf all that much, but haven't heard much about him either.

3 minutes ago, central staggie said:

I love the optimism, and I agree we can get something on Saturday - more likely a draw if I'm honest - but if Allardice is fit then he 100% starts ahead of Litouri. Well, he should anyway.

MacLeod has done alright pre season, but you'd expect he'll be on the bench. Wouldn't be surprised if Telfer comes in but I'd rather Denholm or Grieves played.

What is the story with Nightingale? Would be the first defender on the teamsheet if he's fit. Not that I rate Sheaf all that much, but haven't heard much about him either.

Could be utter drivel, by my two pence is that he was rushed back at the end of the season under the expectation that he would be a Wimbledon player this season. Now that he’s back with us, I think they’re taking their time and rehabilitating him properly. 

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Could be utter drivel, by my two pence is that he was rushed back at the end of the season under the expectation that he would be a Wimbledon player this season. Now that he’s back with us, I think they’re taking their time and rehabilitating him properly. 

Nah I think you're right, actually. Found an article saying he's got an issue with his knee and will miss first few games. Believe Lamie is 50/50 for Saturday as well so God knows what back line we could have.

Laidlaw

brown wright lamie leak harmon

allardice randall

chilvers

white hale

having options is a good thing and I quite easily think you could see loturi, grieves, denholm or brophy starting but it’ll all boil down to fitness and the managers thoughts