Horrific car hire models experienced

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Yes move over, not back. I’ll go with the Highway Code, which doesn’t mention anything about indicating to move back in. 

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/using-the-road-overtaking.html

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

By what definition does “move over” mean moving right only? You can “move over” to the left as well.

Learning to drive within the last decade I was told to always indicate when changing lanes. There isn’t an exception for moving in one direction. If I didn’t indicate left when moving back in on my test I would have been marked down.

It really isn’t that much effort to always indicate your intentions to other road users. It might not be what was taught previously but it is taught now.

Just now, eez-eh said:

By what definition does “move over” mean moving right only? You can “move over” to the left as well.

Learning to drive within the last decade I was told to always indicate when changing lanes. There isn’t an exception for moving in one direction. If I didn’t indicate left when moving back in on my test I would have been marked down.

It really isn’t that much effort to always indicate your intentions to other road users. It might not be what was taught previously but it is taught now.

The Highway Code does not tell you to indicate when returning to the original lane. It does tell you to indicate before you move out. I’ll go with that rather than what your instructor told you. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

The Highway Code does not tell you to indicate when returning to the original lane. It does tell you to indicate before you move out. I’ll go with that rather than what your instructor told you. 

Move over =/= move out

Moving over is not synonymous with moving right. There’s no mention of a particular direction in the Highway Code.

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

Not disputing it might have been different before but things change. Refusing to adapt to that is just stubbornness.

7 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Move over =/= move out

Moving over is not synonymous with moving right. There’s no mention of a particular direction in the Highway Code.

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

Not disputing it might have been different before but things change. Refusing to adapt to that is just stubbornness.

I literally quoted the Highway Code to you regarding the manoeuvre including the part about returning to your lane. Enjoy your night mate. 

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I literally quoted the Highway Code to you regarding the manoeuvre including the part about returning to your lane. Enjoy your night mate. 

The bit you quoted didn’t say not to. The bit I quoted explicitly said to do so.

f**k me.

On 01/08/2024 at 09:22, Jives Miguel said:

Had a courtesy Hyundai i10 for a few months. The gear stick on this c**t. The constant, daily battle of trying to put it in reverse, a minimum of 5 attempts everytime to actually get it there and not 4th gear. I genuinely snapped one time and sat in the car screaming at it like a lunatic one time. The struggle to get it in the right slot moving down a gear. Absolutely horrendous experience

Been driving a Hyundai i10 for last 15 months. Great wee car.  Decent acceleration, cruises the motorway at 75 and handles like a dream.  Very good value for money.   

4 hours ago, eez-eh said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158#:~:text=Rule 133,and when clear%2C move over.

Lane discipline

Rule 133

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

If you overtake you are meant to move back into the left lane.  There is no reason to indicate your intentions as that is what you're meant to do.

Same as coming off a slip road, there is literally nowhere else you can safely go.  I think we've had that discussion before.

Both the above scenarios were explained to me by an advanced driving instructor.  Happy to go with his reasoning as he instructed the traffic cops.

What I do find annoying is drivers not indicating on a roundabout to go down a slip road but then indicating coming off the slip road.  There is only one scenario there where you have more than one option.

2 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Putting an indicator on is such hard work.

Putting them on at every "perceived" oppertunity is totally frustrating and often quite dangerous.

Was hiring a car in France. Went for a Renault Megane or equivalent as it was for a family of four with luggage. On arrival was given a Renault Modus. Which is basically a puddle jumper on stilts. Expressed my unhappiness to be told that's all we have and it is an equivalent car. The weans had to have luggage in the footwells. On return to Scotland I complained to the company saying that they must be the only people in the world that would consider these equivalent cars. To their credit they gave me a significant refund. 

16 hours ago, coprolite said:

Had some wee piece of shite from a car club recently maybe a corsa or something and it kept trying to stop me changing lanes on the motorway. Eventually figured out what was going on and switched it off. That and having a beeping panic attack when parking, but still being at least a foot away from anything. Stupid gadgety c**t of a thing. 

Sounds a bit like my wife.

13 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

With a mere ninety brake-horsepower available, progress is too leisurely to be called fast, but on the motorway in fifth gear the Megane's slow pace really becomes a pain. Uphill runs become power sappingly mundane, while overtaking National Express coaches can become a long drawn out affair.

Not my words, hk, the words of Top Gear Magazine.

My drive was 95% motorway  which is perhaps why I have such a lasting negative opinion of that particular French piece of s****! 

On 02/08/2024 at 13:01, coprolite said:

Had some wee piece of shite from a car club recently maybe a corsa or something and it kept trying to stop me changing lanes on the motorway. Eventually figured out what was going on and switched it off. That and having a beeping panic attack when parking, but still being at least a foot away from anything. Stupid gadgety c**t of a thing. 

My tremendous Crossland has this. It goes off if you change lanes without indicating.

On 02/08/2024 at 23:47, Loonytoons said:

If you overtake you are meant to move back into the left lane.  There is no reason to indicate your intentions as that is what you're meant to do.

Same as coming off a slip road, there is literally nowhere else you can safely go.  I think we've had that discussion before.

Both the above scenarios were explained to me by an advanced driving instructor.  Happy to go with his reasoning as he instructed the traffic cops.

What I do find annoying is drivers not indicating on a roundabout to go down a slip road but then indicating coming off the slip road.  There is only one scenario there where you have more than one option.

The overtaking scenario is not equivalent to the slip road one.  The slip road, correct, there is nowhere else you can go. The overtaking one there is at least one other option as to where you might go depending on the number of lanes on the road. And, if you observe the shit driving in this country, you'll be aware that sitting in the middle lane daydreaming is the preferred option for a large percentage of the population. To this end I see no issue with people indicating their return to the left lane, and in fact doing so assists other road users in understanding your intentions.

On 31/07/2024 at 22:08, TxRover said:

It is significantly worse than any vehicle I’ve hired since a 1995 Dodge Neon or a 1990 Chrysler LeBaron.

It was good enough for Mr. Jon Voight

Vauxhall Crossland. Scheduled to have it for 10 days and returned it the day after I picked it up. Worst car I’ve ever driven. The car hire people didn’t bat an eyelid when I returned it either or quibble with exchanging it for something else - got the feeling it was a pretty regular occurrence.

On 02/08/2024 at 19:01, eez-eh said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158#:~:text=Rule 133,and when clear%2C move over.

Lane discipline

Rule 133

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

This is referring to a motorway or dual carriageway.

On 02/08/2024 at 19:04, Rugster said:

Yes move over, not back. I’ll go with the Highway Code, which doesn’t mention anything about indicating to move back in. 

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/using-the-road-overtaking.html

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

This is not.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

Vauxhall Crossland. Scheduled to have it for 10 days and returned it the day after I picked it up. Worst car I’ve ever driven. The car hire people didn’t bat an eyelid when I returned it either or quibble with exchanging it for something else - got the feeling it was a pretty regular occurrence.

You must have been driving it wrong. Fantastic automobile.