St Johnstone v Aberdeen, Monday 05/08/24

Surely "baldy" would scan just as well, if people need to sing about Clement for whatever strange reason. "mutant" for Boyd. 

Enough of this sectarianism pish. Is that advert mis-spelled or not? 

I'm going to start using the term 'RMC'.

Rainjurz Minded C**t. Purely for anyone who secretly loves (or not so secretly) loves The Rainjurz. 

For the other side, it's CMC. 

Now, is this okay?

Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

At what point did orange become synonymous with the protestant faith? I don’t follow west of Scotland politics closely enough to keep track. 

From my own limited knowledge, I'd suggest at the time William of Orange defeated Catholic King James. It is also why we see orange on the Irish tricolour representing Protestants (not just those in the Orange Order).

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I can see why you'd like to continue to make nonsense claims and hope we're all stupid enough to buy them, yes.

As I've already said, if someone is calling you an OB as they think you're a protestant and that's it, then that's a different story.

When Rangers fans use ******, they mean catholic. I hope you're not going to insult us by kidding on we've got a bunch of keen historians of the UK and Ireland populating the stands at Ibrox.

I think you've misunderstood my point, or I am picking you up wrong. I was essentially agreeing that Rangers fans using the term F***** mean Catholic when they use it.

4 minutes ago, Girth said:

I'm going to start using the term 'RMC'.

Rainjurz Minded C**t. Purely for anyone who secretly loves (or not so secretly) loves The Rainjurz. 

For the other side, it's CMC. 

Now, is this okay?

Thank you. 

Although, this can be used universally for any football team tbf. 

Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think you've misunderstood my point, or I am picking you up wrong. I was essentially agreeing that Rangers fans using the term F***** mean Catholic when they use it.

And I'm saying when someone uses the phrase OB, it depends how they use it.

While I don't think it's ever the case in Scotland that anyone using ****** truly means anything other than catholic, I can also see a fair argument that someone, like yourself and your fellow Berz, happy to be aligned with the OO, could be called an OB by someone and have no real justifiable cause to greet about it.

I'd like to underline that I'd never call anyone an OB myself, as I'm a grown man who doesn't speak to people like that. But when it comes to dealing with offence caused by something, there are times to stand back and say "Is it actually maybe fair?".

I don't think someone choosing to support Rangers has a lot to whinge about here.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

And I'm saying when someone uses the phrase OB, it depends how they use it.

While I don't think it's ever the case in Scotland that anyone using ****** truly means anything other than catholic, I can also see a fair argument that someone, like yourself, happy to be aligned with the OO, could be called an OB by someone and have no real justifiable cause to greet about it.

And that's where I think we will likely arrive at an impasse. You believe that the term OB can be reasonably used to simply describe a Rangers fan, despite the fact that to be an actual orange-man (orangeman?) you must be Protestant.

Just now, AJF said:

And that's where I think we will likely arrive at an impasse. You believe that the term OB can be reasonably used to simply describe a Rangers fan, despite the fact that to be an actual orange-man (orangeman?) you must be Protestant.

You'll never get it because you don't want to. You just want people to reassure you about your choices.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

You'll never get it because you don't want to. You just want people to reassure you about your choices.

I'll never get it unless you tell me my statement was mistaken or that you intended different. I simply disagree with the implication that OB is a term used simply to describe a Rangers fan with no religious attachment or connotations to it.

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

From my own limited knowledge, I'd suggest at the time William of Orange defeated Catholic King James. It is also why we see orange on the Irish tricolour representing Protestants (not just those in the Orange Order).

Yeah, see I wouldn’t have given any of that any though. Mostly because normal people couldn’t care less in the context of football. 

You’re probably right that it was out of order last night and unnecessary but it is pretty galling hearing such complaints from a rangers fan. 

As I say, I witnessed the Glasgow orange march recently and it really is a hideous spectacle which any rangers fan looking to distance themselves from this shit should be ashamed of, instead of pressing their ear up against the tv at an Aberdeen game. 

Anyway, thanks for descending the thread into this garbage. Onto Sunday. 

Anyway - I thought both teams were pretty shit last night - Aberdeen didn’t look miles better than last season - and frequently when they did look good it was down to Miovski - who I think it’s common knowledge he’s away? They were also aided and abetted by a laughable performance by St Johnstone in the first half. The Aberdeen substitutes were hilarious. 

St Johnstone also look very, very poor - they have 2 players up front who are basically Simon Murray 5 years ago - no football brain or ability - just fast as f**k and run about like f**k - they brought on Nicky Clark - who no other club in the league would thank you for - and instantly improved which shows just how bad the 2 strikers are. Defence was a shambles and their midfield were effectively non existent for huge swathes of the game. Their best player was in fact the goalkeeper who made some really good saves despite being slated by the Perth all pre season. 

All in all an entertaining spectacle albeit with little quality on show. 

6 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Anyway - I thought both teams were pretty shit last night - Aberdeen didn’t look miles better than last season - and frequently when they did look good it was down to Miovski - who I think it’s common knowledge he’s away? They were also aided and abetted by a laughable performance by St Johnstone in the first half. The Aberdeen substitutes were hilarious. 

St Johnstone also look very, very poor - they have 2 players up front who are basically Simon Murray 5 years ago - no football brain or ability - just fast as f**k and run about like f**k - they brought on Nicky Clark - who no other club in the league would thank you for - and instantly improved which shows just how bad the 2 strikers are. Defence was a shambles and their midfield were effectively non existent for huge swathes of the game. Their best player was in fact the goalkeeper who made some really good saves despite being slated by the Perth all pre season. 

This is pleasing. These bottom half derbies can sometimes be difficult on the mince pies. 

4 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Jeez, say what you really think! 😆

It's pretty much what most Saints fans have been saying all pre season tbh. I'd say both strikers have a bit more than just pace, but both a raw.

Clark came on in a deeper role and Levein has played him there a few times with no real impact.

The small positives from a Saints perspective are that we have a very young team and with the right kind of signings in key positions, you'd hope better leaders would bring them on.

Teams will bully us this season no doubt, but hoping the stop start element to the opening round of fixtures in the season might actually help us bed players in and get some up to speed.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah, see I wouldn’t have given any of that any though. Mostly because normal people couldn’t care less in the context of football. 

You’re probably right that it was out of order last night and unnecessary but it is pretty galling hearing such complaints from a rangers fan. 

As I say, I witnessed the Glasgow orange march recently and it really is a hideous spectacle which any rangers fan looking to distance themselves from this shit should be ashamed of, instead of pressing their ear up against the tv at an Aberdeen game. 

Anyway, thanks for descending the thread into this garbage. Onto Sunday. 

I totally agree, football is (or should be) about the actual football. If you agree it was out of order and unnecessary then as a Rangers fan, should I be excluded from making comments on sectarianism unless the incident involves my own club? Who does mention it if so?

And I don't doubt the stuff you witnessed, I just don't see why it would be implied by "pressing my ear up against the tv at an Aberdeen game" that it is considered that I wouldn't be ashamed of that. I'd like to think I front up a lot of the time on here when Rangers fans are being criticised and condemn my fair share.

5 hours ago, AJF said:

I believe you do and take that at face value. I would also hope that you’ve seen me call out sectarianism displayed by Rangers fans on numerous occasions in my time here.

Indeed I have. But now you've decided to inform P&B about instances of sectarian songs that you hear, I would expect you to be very busy during Rangers matches, particularly the away ones. Starting tonight perhaps?

3 hours ago, Der Panzer said:

From an AFC perspective I thought from around 10 to 40 minutes, we showed a decent amount of quality.

it was generally fast and incisive - and yes Bojan contributed significantly, but he’s currently paid to do that for us.

Second half was patchier, but the goal was excellent.

Hard to judge St Johnstone too much, but I suspect they’ll be tough opponents for most, and any kind of win there will be welcome.

4 hours ago, AJF said:

I totally agree, football is (or should be) about the actual football. If you agree it was out of order and unnecessary then as a Rangers fan, should I be excluded from making comments on sectarianism unless the incident involves my own club? Who does mention it if so?

And I don't doubt the stuff you witnessed, I just don't see why it would be implied by "pressing my ear up against the tv at an Aberdeen game" that it is considered that I wouldn't be ashamed of that. I'd like to think I front up a lot of the time on here when Rangers fans are being criticised and condemn my fair share.

Aye, you are willing to call out examples of overt sectarianism within your support, but as I’ve said to you before, you’re wilfully blind to just how embedded that culture is within your club. It’s a huge part of the identity. I mean, Nigel farage will condemn the indefensible if he has to.