Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Raith's next permanent manager?  

482 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I have no f**king clue what your point of reference is, however it's great to have another point of view.

The podcast mentioned immediately before my original post (and the other posts about it in this thread)

Saying this with little understanding of Raith's setup, other than Barrowman and Potter's involvement and a seemingly ambitious board so go easy on me. However, what about Jack Ross for the manager's job?

Him and Potter go way back to their playing days at Clyde and St Mirren and are seemingly best mates off the pitch. Ross was desperate for him to come in while managing St Mirren and eventually got his way when he went to Sunderland and Hibs. He also wanted him at United but Potter had just taken the Kelty job at the time.

You would imagine that Ross will therefore have first-hand knowledge of the way that Raith work and will immediately have an ally among the hierarchy. He would certainly fit the narrative of an ambitious appointment and has won the league before. He came into St Mirren just six games into a season, so this isn't exactly new ground for him either.

OK, so reasons why he wouldn't he take the Raith job? He has a cushty number in the youth set-up at Newcastle United, probably has ambitions of bigger clubs, and I imagine doesn't need the money post-Sunderland/Hibs/United sackings.

However, he was always ambitious. Raith have a real chance of winning the league if they get their finger out quickly, he would be going into a friendly environment having inherited a shambles at his last three clubs, and it would be a real opportunity to rebuild his reputation in Scotland.

Edited by bishoptonbuddie

5 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

He’s hardly going to tell you a private family matter is he? More likely to give you a stock answer.

It happened after the playoff games. Specifically the 2nd leg.

Obviously not, but folk who have had a big fallout generally tend not to be very complimentary to the individual they've fallen out with. 

2 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Obviously not, but folk who have had a big fallout generally tend not to be very complimentary to the individual they've fallen out with. 

In the real world yeah.

In the footballing world there is always more diplomacy.

7 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Saying this with little understanding of Raith's setup, other than Barrowman and Potter's involvement and a seemingly ambitious board so go easy on me. However, what about Jack Ross for the manager's job?

Him and Potter go way back to their playing days at Clyde and St Mirren and are seemingly best mates off the pitch. Ross was desperate for him to come in while managing St Mirren and eventually got his way when he went to Sunderland and Hibs. He also wanted him at United but Potter had just taken the Kelty job at the time.

You would imagine that Ross will therefore have first-hand knowledge of the way that Raith work and will immediately have an ally among the hierarchy. He would certainly fit the narrative of an ambitious appointment and has won the league before. He came into St Mirren just six games into a season, so this isn't exactly new ground for him either.

OK, so reasons why he wouldn't he take the Raith job? He has a cushty number in the youth set-up at Newcastle United, probably has ambitions of bigger clubs, and I imagine doesn't need the money post-Sunderland/Hibs/United sackings.

However, he was always ambitious. Raith have a real chance of winning the league if they get their finger out quickly, he would be going into a friendly environment having inherited a shambles at his last three clubs, and it would be a real opportunity to rebuild his reputation in Scotland.

Far far, too sensible a post for this forum now fuk off back to your glory hunting euro adventures etc etc I wipe my arse with your paisley panda……..

7 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

There were rumors that we offered him 5 grand a week when Leanne Dempster was pursuing him relentlessly for the Queen's job and even that wasn't enough to tempt him. Not saying it's impossible, but I suspect it'll take a lot for him to even consider it.

14 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

There were rumors that we offered him 5 grand a week when Leanne Dempster was pursuing him relentlessly for the Queen's job and even that wasn't enough to tempt him. Not saying it's impossible, but I suspect it'll take a lot for him to even consider it.

That was prior to Dundee United (I think?) and his reputation has probably dropped a bit since.

Also, and I didn't realise this before a quick Google there, John Potter was also a common denominator in that instance too when Queens were in for him. "Ross' former Hibs No2 John Potter is currently helping out at the club on an interim basis while the search goes on."

Aye, I noted Raith fans saying they thought Barrowman came off well in that interview - that's something only fans of said club can say. You (and I absolutely include myself in this) get blinded when it's your own club and want to see the best in people - but he came off slippery as f**k IMO.

30 minutes ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

That was prior to Dundee United (I think?) and his reputation has probably dropped a bit since.

Also, and I didn't realise this before a quick Google there, John Potter was also a common denominator in that instance too when Queens were in for him. "Ross' former Hibs No2 John Potter is currently helping out at the club on an interim basis while the search goes on."

For some reason I had it in my head it was after his spell at United but you're right!

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, I noted Raith fans saying they thought Barrowman came off well in that interview - that's something only fans of said club can say. You (and I absolutely include myself in this) get blinded when it's your own club and want to see the best in people - but he came off slippery as f**k IMO.

I thought he looked uncomfortable and was very deliberate in what he said or didn't say. 

13 hours ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

Exactly this. Someone saw Potter getting out of Mulgrew's motor, private plate (MULGR3W). No idea what film they were at mind.

DId he leave the kids in the back?

Regarding McCabe, I thought he'd be a future captain when Murray was manager, you could see he coached the whole team on the park during games, basically doing Murray's job for him. I was as surprised as anyone when he was appointed and he's been a breath of fresh air for us, has an eye for a player, great coach/motivator, good tactically and has the young team all singing from the same hymn sheet, running through walls for the cause. If you guys had limited resources like us, you'd do worse than follow our model. The reality is, in recent years, you've been in a position to pay bigger money for established/experienced players (and managers) but recruitment could be better. IMO, Easton/Smith haven't shown the quality they showed at Airdrie and I think you'll continue to throw money at experience because you've got it. Necessity and a tight budget have factored our recruitment and the way we play. We've got incredibly lucky with McCabe and our squad by taking a chance on him. The fact is, if we had better finances, he wouldn't have been anywhere near the job and we'd probably have ended up with an Owen Coyle or similar. Good luck in finding the right guy, was never convinced that Murray was the right man for you but despite that, you were a bawhair away from going up! McCabe runs the whole show at Airdrie, did wonders with an inherited League 1 squad last year and has assembled his own team for this season. It will take a lot of dosh from a big team for him to leave Airdrie. Personally, I think he'll end up either down South or somewhere like Motherwell/Kilmarnock next with an outside possibility of an Aberdeen/Hibs look in.

Having watched the interview last night, I believe that McCabe is on their shortlist and most likely the preferred choice, whether or not any approach would be knocked back by Airdrie and or McCabe who knows but would be surprised if he wasn't on the shortlist.

In terms of someone who hasn't been mentioned then Kris Doolan may be on that shortlist too.

3 hours ago, CHEMOMAN said:

Regarding McCabe, I thought he'd be a future captain when Murray was manager, you could see he coached the whole team on the park during games, basically doing Murray's job for him. I was as surprised as anyone when he was appointed and he's been a breath of fresh air for us, has an eye for a player, great coach/motivator, good tactically and has the young team all singing from the same hymn sheet, running through walls for the cause. If you guys had limited resources like us, you'd do worse than follow our model. The reality is, in recent years, you've been in a position to pay bigger money for established/experienced players (and managers) but recruitment could be better. IMO, Easton/Smith haven't shown the quality they showed at Airdrie and I think you'll continue to throw money at experience because you've got it. Necessity and a tight budget have factored our recruitment and the way we play. We've got incredibly lucky with McCabe and our squad by taking a chance on him. The fact is, if we had better finances, he wouldn't have been anywhere near the job and we'd probably have ended up with an Owen Coyle or similar. Good luck in finding the right guy, was never convinced that Murray was the right man for you but despite that, you were a bawhair away from going up! McCabe runs the whole show at Airdrie, did wonders with an inherited League 1 squad last year and has assembled his own team for this season. It will take a lot of dosh from a big team for him to leave Airdrie. Personally, I think he'll end up either down South or somewhere like Motherwell/Kilmarnock next with an outside possibility of an Aberdeen/Hibs look in.

I think the whole of Scotland is keeping an eye on McCabe, what he’s done at Airdrie should be a benchmark for all up and coming managers. Me personally I’d love to see Rhys McCabe take Airdrieonians to the Premier League, as you say the players will break down walls to implement his tactical vision, I applaud that. 

4 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

The power of P+B 

IMG_1902.jpeg

f**k sake, it was an idea. I was a wee bit bored with the generic names bandied about. Yes I got behind what’s happening at Cliftonville after our game, it was awesome to go see teams I’d hardly heard of. Magilton is still a big name in British football, was just trying to get a wee buzz for someone else outside of the usual merry go round. 

14 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

In terms of someone who hasn't been mentioned then Kris Doolan may be on that shortlist too.

I doubt it. Doolan to Raith would be a move that doesn't make sense for any of the parties involved.