Morton v Accies - Sat 10th August

Well the second half was much less of a shambles and we had a couple of really decent chances to win it. Tumilty, Barjonas and Bradley went from WOAT performances to being alright and Shaw finished the game quite strongly once he had players to link with down the left. 

I hope to never be reminded of the first half again.

(please get a CB ASAP)

Well, both teams had more than enough chances to win the game. Dreadful first half from Accies and Morton returned the favour in the 2nd. Countless gilt-edge chances created and missed, without either team ever threatening to actually play well. 

Relegation battle for both of us this season I reckon. 

JET running riot? 

The guy looks likes he's never seen football before. 

Taking Lyall off killed the game. No one to play the passes in behind that Davies obviously wants. 

Lemar with another horror show.

Plenty of positives again though, the aforementioned Lyall, another clean sheet, Wilson being the best player on the pitch, Mullen.. 

Edited by #Gary

If you'd told me at Half time we'd only take a point from that i would have laughed in your face, moved the ball well fought for everything and cut Accies defence numerous times with ease, a bit more composure from our front line and we would have been out of sight come the HT whistle. Hamilton easily there for the taking for a majority of that game and it has to go down as a wasted opportunity. 

JET had a few moments of absolute class that more than made up for his lack of mobility, like Templeman on steroids, for his build he just doesnt look to have those touches in him. 

Garrity had Tumilty and the RCB in his back pocket the entire 1st half. after a trio of sitters though I'm not sure why he reverted to wandering offside every 2 minutes when gambling the Hamilton defenders would not be able to deal with balls over the top was working so well. 

Wilson again having a great game overall. 

Second half we seemed to be a bit more timid and allowed accies further into our half unopposed and if not for a sharp save by Mullen right at the start of the half we would have a big problem. 

Subs killed the game, the players coming on just didnt offer the same as any of the starting 11 

Well that was 2 points dropped, and nearly 3 with Accies nearly scoring near the end.

We can all see where the deficiencies in the team are and has been apparent since the start of the season. It just hasn't clicked up front for us at all.

JET was holding the ball up well and showed some flashes of skill that had the crowd entertained. But he doesn't look a goal scorer. 

Garrity totally lacks composure and really should have taken one of his numerous chances. Same for Moffat too.

Reynolds looked a wee bit sharper when he came on but lets everyone down with a mishit pass  or he over runs the ball at a crucial part in the game.

Davies, I'm not even sure where he is meant to be playing? Wherever it is it's not working either.

Our next signing just has to be a striker!     

39 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Reynolds looked a wee bit sharper when he came on but lets everyone down with a mishit pass  or he over runs the ball at a crucial part in the game.

One-way ticket back to Maidstone would be the best thing for all concerned… big guy looks like he’s never seen a ball.

That has to be considered 2 points dropped against a poor side. Hamilton look certainties for a relegation battle but I’m still hopeful we can find a scoring touch and rise above that, we certainly create enough chances. The first hour was a good watch but it was absolutely grim after that. 

Plenty of positives, particularly for me Ballantyne, who just doesn’t look to have a weakness to his game, and JET, who linked the play superbly and produced some incredible skill, we lost so much when he went off. Hopefully Garrity can finish a chance in the coming games to gain confidence and that partnership can develop. 

Among the negatives it has to be said that Reynolds had an absolutely terrible time out there. 

Did anyone have a clear view on the penalty shout? I was in the Sinclair St end but it looked as clear a penalty as you would ever see. 

Daylight robbery from us to come away with a point after that first half.  Barry Maguire trying his best to hand Morton a goal, a centre half must be brought in this week if Kilday isn’t going to be fit for next week.

on that showing we’ve seen 2 of the teams that will be bottom 3 while the other was getting smacked about off Falkirk.

First half absolutely brutal and embarrassing for Morton to have failed to put the game out of sight by half time. Second half better from our point of view but both teams displaying some of the most criminally inept finishing you will see all season. Sitter count was off the scale. If the game went on until midnight the scoreline would have been the same!

Highlight for me was two teams playing in traditional full hoop strips. Proves beyond doubt that there is no issue with them and that there is absolutely no need for strips to be ruined with those pointless back panels.

Also thought the pitch looked in great condition, especially considering recent weather conditions. Shame we resorted to punting long balls so often when playing on a surface like that!!

Edited by Beckford

We were absolutely rotten in that first half and were lucky to still be in a game going into the second half on a different day or against a better we're 4-0 down at HT. We've been playing well but just not good enough today a bit better in the second half but still not good enough. Maguire was awful today I actually thought he done well last week but nearly cost us 2 or 3 goals today. Tumilty and Barjonas aren't good enough for this level and Hendrie isn't even good enough for L1 imo. Thank f**k Longridge is back and hopefully he stays injury free for the rest of the season as we can't afford to have Hendrie as a starter. Our midfield is terrible anytime Martin doesn't play so we need to be looking at adding quality there as well as a center half and a right back. Think both sides will be near the bottom basing on today 

Edited by Ian Mcleod

5 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

We were absolutely rotten in that first half and were lucky to still be in a game going into the second half on a different day or against a better we're 4-0 down at HT. We've been playing well but just not good enough today a bit better in the second half but still not good enough. Maguire was awful today I actually thought he done well last week but nearly cost us 2 or 3 goals today. Tumilty and Barjonas aren't good enough for this level and Hendrie isn't even good enough for L1 imo. Thank f**k Longridge is back and hopefully he stays injury free for the rest of the season as we can't afford to have Hendrie qs a starter. Our midfield is terrible anytime Martin doesn't play so we need to be looking at adding quality there as well as a center half and a right back 

Hendrie didn’t put a foot wrong today, taking him off was actually the worst decision Rankin made. No surprise to see you wrong again.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

20 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Hendrie didn’t put a foot wrong today, taking him off was actually the worst decision Rankin made. No surprise to see you wrong again.

I think you must have watched a different game today than I watched. Admittedly he wasn't as bad as a few others today however my comment about him not even being league 1 level wasn't just based on today it's based on his performances last season and his performances he's made this season including today again he showed me personally that he isn't good enough for this level. Was a time today where he was under little pressure and he needlessly punted the ball out of the park clear to say that it didn't go down well with our fans and just in general he was still poor today. I disagree with the comment you made about it being Rankin's worst decision today as for one it was the correct decision and his worst decision was keeping Maguire on the pitch when we had Newbury on the bench. 

31 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I agree. Thought Hendrie did well. McGuire however...

First half we were excellent. How the half finished 0-0 is beyond me. We have to be more clinical and take our chances or it'll be a long season. 

Second half accies came out with the bit between their teeth and looked better. Could have scored a couple themselves had it not been for Mullen and poor finishing. We then come back into it and have another chance or 2. Get the feeling (again) that we could have played all day and not scored. 

Positives are 2 clean sheets, we are playing decent stuff and making chances. The system we are playing looks effective enough although I still think we need a striker in or a player who can stay in the box and attack the ball/ score goals. JET offers something to the team but he's not the player.

Negatives are it's 2 points dropped today and we haven't scored in 2 league games.