Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

9 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Quite. He's 28.

Okay nearly 29 - in 3 and 1/2 months time.

The point is why not select him years ago and wait till this point?

He's not exactly going to be hanging about long.

I just find it bizarre.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

32 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I just find it bizarre.

So say he makes the winning goal next week or shows a spark we’re sadly lacking up front contributing to a positive result 

Is it still bizarre then?

Results are about the here and now 

Not some non tangible point in the future.
Also at his age, if it does go well he’s involved in World Cup qualifying and potentially the finals at a good age to play 

Edited by MarkoP

55 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I just find it bizarre.

Same age as Colin Hendry at his first call up, and he got 51 caps. 

Absolutely tremendous displays of Football Manager Brain in this thread:

"International experience, familiarity with the system, coaching methods and preferences of teammates, existing personal relationships and continuity are a f**king waste of time, and there should be an overhaul of the squad every 2 years"

"We should be calling up youth players to create a tartan Gareth Bale. Anyone over the age of 27 should be shot dead"

It's like reverse Alan Hansen syndrome. "You ONLY win things with kids"

2 hours ago, MarkoP said:

So say he makes the winning goal next week or shows a spark we’re sadly lacking up front contributing to a positive result 

Is it still bizarre then?

Results are about the here and now 

Not some non tangible point in the future.
Also at his age, if it does go well he’s involved in World Cup qualifying and potentially the finals at a good age to play 

I just think he should have been called up far sooner than this point.

13 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Has Christie continued to play deeper for Bournemouth at the start of this season?  Christie  could potentially complement Gilmour well in those deeper positions. I would definitely go with that against Portugal, but McTominay next to Gilmour against Poland to get an extra creative player further forward. The only real options to provide something a bit different behind the striker are Morgan and Gauld, so we might as well play one of them and see what happens. I guess we also have the option of Adams as the ten. 

I think I would be going something like this, ideally a different set up with more creativity within it will allow us to get much more from our best striker. Dykes can start against Portugal, when we should need more of an out ball. 

Gunn

Ralston Porteous  McKenna Robertson

Gilmour  McTominay

Doak                   Gauld            McGinn

Adams 

Nice to help out the Gauld fan club too. 

This genuinely looks like the best team we could field barring injury at the moment and I think Clarke could well go for this formation if he is serious about trying to make the team more creative. However, I think Clarke will show loyalty to Christie by picking him from the start in place of Gauld and moving McGinn to CAM.

14 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

This genuinely looks like the best team we could field barring injury at the moment and I think Clarke could well go for this formation if he is serious about trying to make the team more creative. However, I think Clarke will show loyalty to Christie by picking him from the start in place of Gauld and moving McGinn to CAM.

Yeah, I agree with you - I just don’t think Christie is nearly creative enough at this level to play in those positions when the onus is on us to go and do something. McGinn and McTominay have their qualities but they aren’t outrightly creative either, so we need something a little different in there. 

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, I agree with you - I just don’t think Christie is nearly creative enough at this level to play in those positions when the onus is on us to go and do something. McGinn and McTominay have their qualities but they aren’t outrightly creative either, so we need something a little different in there. 

Yeah he's a bit limited in his attacking play to go past players regularly but he gives you that defensive protection you need from a wide player and he does pop up with the odd important goal, he is critical against teams who are expected to dominate us. 

Personally, I would like to see him a little deeper and more central as he does at Bournemouth but let him get forward, bit of a box to box midfielder but we seem to have a surplus of those types unfortunately and one of the failures of Clarke was trying to fit them all in at once which lead to a woeful attack. 

What is clear though is that we need an injection of pace in the forward areas, the likes of Conway and Doak will be vital in this next campaign IMO.

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I just find it bizarre.

Because we have had too many players better than him available over several years to justify selecting him and in this window we don't.

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Because we have had too many players better than him available over several years to justify selecting him and in this window we don't.

Aye, losing 4-0 to Russia, John Fleck and Olly Burke in the starting 11 - glory days!

6 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Aye, losing 4-0 to Russia, John Fleck and Olly Burke in the starting 11 - glory days!

When the squad was selected for that game Gauld had played four times for second tier Farense, off the back of managing 6 games in 5 months for Hibs the previous season.

Not that it's a direct comparison anyway as he was playing as a striker which isn't Gauld's position, but Oli Burke is obviously mince and yet he'd had a considerably more successful Scottish Premiership loan spell with Celtic in the same 5 months Gauld was at Hibs, then played more games at a higher level than Gauld at the start to the 19/20 season prior to that Russia game between West Brom in the English Championship and Deportivo Alaves in La Liga.

Gauld's performances at club level at that time weren't justifying selection and then when his club career did improve over the following years so did Scotland's performances and results, a time which also saw the emergence of other players younger than Gauld into the squad in both deep & attacking midfield positions such as Billy Gilmour and Lewis Ferguson, in addition to already having more depth there than any other area of the park.

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

When the squad was selected for that game Gauld had played four times for second tier Farense, off the back of managing 6 games in 5 months for Hibs the previous season.

Not that it's a direct comparison anyway as he was playing as a striker which isn't Gauld's position, but Oli Burke is obviously mince and yet he'd had a considerably more successful Scottish Premiership loan spell with Celtic in the same 5 months Gauld was at Hibs, then played more games at a higher level than Gauld at the start to the 19/20 season prior to that Russia game between West Brom in the English Championship and Deportivo Alaves in La Liga.

Gauld's performances at club level at that time weren't justifying selection and then when his club career did improve over the following years so did Scotland's performances and results, a time which also saw the emergence of other players younger than Gauld into the squad in both deep & attacking midfield positions such as Billy Gilmour and Lewis Ferguson, in addition to already having more depth there than any other area of the park.

Proof that research beats sarcasm every time.

Gauld was never getting in the team with the midfielders we had in last 4/5 years. 

Now with Mcgregor away, Armstrong not involved and Mclean you'd think on the way out it makes sense to include him.

Ideally he'd have been involved by now but no reason he can't make a difference.

We've done this in the past with likes of Kevin Mcdonald and Tom Cairney, John Fleck guys who got to a good level later on in their careers. Not that they impacted the squad much.

Doak is the one i'm hoping to see, Hopefully return to the 4-3-3 that worked so well with Killie.

Gunn

Johnston Porteous Hanley Robertson

Gilmour 

Mcginn Mctominay

Doak Adams Morgan

I've had an email offering tickets in the Portugal end for €7.50 if anyone's interested. I tried to join their supporters club before the Euros in case I wanted tickets, and didn't think it had worked, but it appears it did.