Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

19 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Hopefully we see Bates, Mebude, Barron in the upcoming squad.

Sucks that all of our right backs are injured. But you don't have to be a right back to play right wing back. ;)

I'd like to see Danny Armstrong getting a call up.

Maybe Miller, Watson, too.

I doubt we'll ever see Gauld. Clarke just doesn't like him, for whatever reason.

Think it’s time Chris Cadden gets to play for Scotland again. 

9 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

If we’re calling Barron up, we might aswell call up Miller and Watson. 

I wouldn't be against it.

Clarke has to cast his net far and wide. He should've called up Barron and Gauld, but Barron has time on his side.

I'd be open to all sensible suggestions.

37 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Semantics.

Take the previous tournaments from the past 30 years:

4 at the back:

94, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014. 2016, 2018.

10 qualification campaigns and 0 successes.

3 at the back: 96, 98, 2020, 2024 (failing twice in 99 and 2022

5 qualification campaign and 3 successes. (Two of the failures were due to play offs)

That's 60% vs 0%.

If you want to make the stake for the claim of the 0% then fair enough. That's your opinion.

Anyway. If you want to discuss formations, etc, open a thread. I'm not debating it here any longer.

:)

Whatever this pish is it’s so full of holes that nothing really needs to be said, but I can’t help myself from being pedantic and letting you know that we played a mammoth two games with a back 3 in qualifying for Euro 2020. The rest were with a back 4.

If Gauld gets called up, I, one of Steve Clarke’s biggest fans and defenders, will pivot to Clarke out.

We simply cannot bow to the demands of football hipsters that take the MLS seriously.

9 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

If Gauld gets called up, I, one of Steve Clarke’s biggest fans and defenders, will pivot to Clarke out.

We simply cannot bow to the demands of football hipsters that take the MLS seriously.

Doesn't matter where you play it's, how you play 

12 hours ago, Chripper said:

Re: Gauld.

7 years too late.

7 years ago he was struggling to get a game for a team called "Desportivo Aves". If you'd said 4 years, which is when he finally established himself as a top flight player, I could have at least understood the point.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

I’d be quite excited to see Gauld get a chance. If he’s out of his depth then so be it. 

I can't imagine he'd be out of his depth, he's playing at an alright level and is talented. More likely he is just slightly less good than Ryan Christie or Stuart Armstrong have been.

9 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Will Ryan Gauld even accept a call up at this stage?

https://nutmegfootball.substack.com/p/gauld-ill-never-stop-craving-call?utm_source=substack&publication_id=2703718&post_id=147712065&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share&utm_campaign=email-share&action=share&triggerShare=true&isFreemail=true&token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoyNTMyNTA4MjEsInBvc3RfaWQiOjE0NzcxMjA2NSwiaWF0IjoxNzIzNzg0NDY4LCJleHAiOjE3MjYzNzY0NjgsImlzcyI6InB1Yi0yNzAzNzE4Iiwic3ViIjoicG9zdC1yZWFjdGlvbiJ9.5kctSfOwBZ7UpYp_S039u1dDkghx8W9q7hI4y2x9Ug8&r=46s1l1&triedRedirect=true

I get asked about playing for Scotland so often that I get a bit wary of saying the wrong thing – I don’t want to create a headline. But the true answer is pretty simple. It was always an ambition of mine. It still is.

13 hours ago, Chripper said:

Semantics.

Take the previous tournaments from the past 30 years:

4 at the back:

94, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014. 2016, 2018.

10 qualification campaigns and 0 successes.

3 at the back: 96, 98, 2020, 2024 (failing twice in 99 and 2022

5 qualification campaign and 3 successes. (Two of the failures were due to play offs)

That's 60% vs 0%.

If you want to make the stake for the claim of the 0% then fair enough. That's your opinion.

Anyway. If you want to discuss formations, etc, open a thread. I'm not debating it here any longer.

:)

The same copy, paste and repeat shite we've been acustomed to from this poster and funnily misses out all of the great 70 and 80 Scotland teams that qualified for tournaments who played with back fours. 

We need to play a system that fits all of our best players in and get the team performing well again. 

Depoloying 3 CB's has been rumbled for a year now with no signs of that changing so why persist with this when we don't have good enough CB's. We have some decent forward options coming into the team with Conway and Doak (as well as Gauld hopefully), let Christie take up McGregor's role somewhere in CM and get Doak into one of the wide areas.

Seems like a decent guy but Shankland is not cut out for international level so take him out the squad and give Conway more opportunities to see if he can be our number one striker. 

I'd rather call Gauld up than Danny Armstrong, but I'm not sure either really fits how Clarke has played previously?

I wouldn't mind a pivot to a 4-3-3 shape either tbh.

From Dundee, I don't expect anyone to be called up and I'm not of the opinion that McCowan would make much if any impact at all to a very strong midfield as much as I love him. 

I am genuinely starting to believe that McCracken is the 2nd best Scottish keeper currently (not a high benchmark) behind Gunn though. Excellent modern sweeper keeper. Definitely better than Clark or Kelly IMO. Not watched enough of McCrorie to see if he truly is the man waiting to be the next number 1 though. I don't expect McCracken to be called up this time round and I just hope this comment doesn't age like milk as he suddenly becomes an absolute bombscare from this Saturday onwards.

Out with Dundee - I don't really see the point in calling Gauld up at this stage but if it'd please the people that have been proclaiming he's the messiah for years, I see no harm in giving him the chance with these games.

Barron was brutal for Aberdeen any time I watched him against us last season but apparently he's been a shining star for Rangers so far. I'd say it's too soon to pull the trigger on him just because he's got a bit of hype following a promising start at Rangers but that's by the by.

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

From Dundee, I don't expect anyone to be called up and I'm not of the opinion that McCowan would make much if any impact at all to a very strong midfield as much as I love him. 

I am genuinely starting to believe that McCracken is the 2nd best Scottish keeper currently (not a high benchmark) behind Gunn though. Excellent modern sweeper keeper. Definitely better than Clark or Kelly IMO. Not watched enough of McCrorie to see if he truly is the man waiting to be the next number 1 though. I don't expect McCracken to be called up this time round and I just hope this comment doesn't age like milk as he suddenly becomes an absolute bombscare from this Saturday onwards.

Out with Dundee - I don't really see the point in calling Gauld up at this stage but if it'd please the people that have been proclaiming he's the messiah for years, I see no harm in giving him the chance with these games.

Barron was brutal for Aberdeen any time I watched him against us last season but apparently he's been a shining star for Rangers so far. I'd say it's too soon to pull the trigger on him just because he's got a bit of hype following a promising start at Rangers but that's by the by.

Clarke was apparently interested in Barron before he signed for Rangers, and he's been a strong performer for the u21s. I think he's the natural replacement for McGregor in the squad, though I don't think he'll reach the same heights (I hope this does age like milk).

I've only seen McCracken a couple of times this season but he does look like a good prospect. There are a few relatively young goalkeepers who are first choice in the top two divisions (McCracken, McCrorie, Rae, Johnson, Stone) so maybe your Next Big Problem thread will look a bit more promising come the end of this season. Or it could look more ominous.