Crimes Against Humanity

5 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

To keep a football perspective to it, I try to liken it to a season ticket holder.  A season ticket holder gets into each game for a cheaper average price than the occasional fan does.  Season ticket holders also get various other perks.

Both clubcard and season ticket holders loyal receive a better rate.  I personally think that’s a good thing.

You don't sell your data to be a season ticket holder, and match tickets aren't double what they are at other grounds just to make season tickets seem a good deal

11 hours ago, pub car king said:

This bullshit that Tesco started whereby you need a clubcard to buy things at the normal price, otherwise it's some made up inflated bullshit. 

Various other massive cunty companies are trying the same shit.

I'm in this camp too.  Strikes me that a lot of the most vulnerable people are unlikely to apply for a card in practice, so they end up effectively subsidising cardholders.  In fairness I have to confess to being a holder of a Tesco Clubcard as I shop for my folks in Tesco for practical reasons.  Prefer Aldi and Lidl myself.  Generally more competitive prices and as far I have seen no two tier pricing.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

You don't sell your data to be a season ticket holder, and match tickets aren't double what they are at other grounds just to make season tickets seem a good deal

Agreed but I personally don’t worry about what data can be obtained from my clubcard use.  Are prices double without using a clubcard?  I’ve never paid any attention.

Very easy solution to this first world problem for anyone not happy.  Get a clubcard or shop elsewhere.  It really is that simple for most people.  

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

To keep a football perspective to it, I try to liken it to a season ticket holder.  A season ticket holder gets into each game for a cheaper average price than the occasional fan does.  Season ticket holders also get various other perks.

Both clubcard and season ticket holders loyal receive a better rate.  I personally think that’s a good thing.

There’s no loyalty involved though. I use Nectar at Sainsbury’s and club card at Tesco as well as shopping at Aldi, Lidl, home bargains, fortnum and mason etc. This has reminded me to sign up for my Asda saver thingy too, but they don’t do the “reduced” prices for that I don’t think. 

I don’t particularly mind Tesco knowing that I have a cat and emailing me reminders about birthdays but I can see why people find it invasive.

Just now, coprolite said:

There’s no loyalty involved though. I use Nectar at Sainsbury’s and club card at Tesco as well as shopping at Aldi, Lidl, home bargains, fortnum and mason etc. This has reminded me to sign up for my Asda saver thingy too, but they don’t do the “reduced” prices for that I don’t think. 

I don’t particularly mind Tesco knowing that I have a cat and emailing me reminders about birthdays but I can see why people find it invasive.

I think part of the initial idea was to encourage loyalty but I agree many people have multiple cards.  Just like many people have multiple bank and building society accounts but still deposited money in the recent Nationwide 18 month loyalty bond paying 5.5% that was only available for Nationwide members.  Maximum investment was only £10,000 so arguably more of a headline maker than a true reward for being a member.

Makes sense to me to have multiple cards / accounts but I appreciate some people will not do so due to how they feel about doing so or simply don’t feel they can justify the small amount of time it takes to sign up for these schemes / accounts.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Presumably she was doing that for all the customers and hoovering up the points? 

Hopefully. Good for her! Surprised if the supermarkets haven't cracked down on staff doing that by now, considering it stops them getting the sweet, sweet data they're looking to harvest.

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Loyalty card holders don't receive a better rate, though - they get the products at the price that the supermarket would otherwise be selling at. The non-card price is supposed to look expensive by comparison to encourage sign-up.

Take a look next time you're in Tesco - most of their clubcard prices are the same as the price they used to sell the products at, or that other supermarkets sell them at.

19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Hopefully. Good for her! Surprised if the supermarkets haven't cracked down on staff doing that by now, considering it stops them getting the sweet, sweet data they're looking to harvest.

Loyalty card holders don't receive a better rate, though - they get the products at the price that the supermarket would otherwise be selling at. The non-card price is supposed to look expensive by comparison to encourage sign-up.

Take a look next time you're in Tesco - most of their clubcard prices are the same as the price they used to sell the products at, or that other supermarkets sell them at.

I have to admit I’ve never paid much attention to the prices at other supermarkets.  Tesco is closest to my house and I have a clubcard so I’m happy enough with what I’m being charged.  On the odd occasion I pop into another supermarket in the future I will have a look at their pricing.  

24 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You can usually tell when a nectar price promotion is coming up because the price will go mental for a couple of weeks. £3 for Doritos recently for example.

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You can usually tell when a nectar price promotion is coming up because the price will go mental for a couple of weeks. £3 for Doritos recently for example.

Before there were rules brought in to govern these sorts of promotions, there was a furniture retailer in the south of England who used to launch "sales" where they'd just pretend they'd been selling the stuff for twice the price the day before and say the new (same) price was "reduced". Big scandal about it in the papers and the chain died within about eighteen months.

At least now they have to put the prices up for a while beforehand, I suppose. Think it's a month, isn't it?

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Before there were rules brought in to govern these sorts of promotions, there was a furniture retailer in the south of England who used to launch "sales" where they'd just pretend they'd been selling the stuff for twice the price the day before and say the new (same) price was "reduced". Big scandal about it in the papers and the chain died within about eighteen months.

At least now they have to put the prices up for a while beforehand, I suppose. Think it's a month, isn't it?

That's given me flashbacks to the Officer's Club ongoing closing down sale many years ago.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Been there. Worked in a furniture shop in 2000/2001. One weekend we made up the January "sale" tickets. 

3 piece suite. £800 the week before. We made tickets that said "Was £999, now £749" . It was a sake, of sorts.

29 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

That's given me flashbacks to the Officer's Club ongoing closing down sale many years ago.

I wonder if the sale is still on at DFS?

I think there's supposed to be a rule that sales have to be for a limited time, so presumably they had to have a week now and then where their prices went through the roof and they made no money.

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Dundee Uni students. An often be found working in Tesco Riverside. Many a time I’ve been ushered through one of their tills with cheery smile and they’ve used their 10% staff discount.  Little c***s have got all my points though.

6 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The impending Oasis reunion.

They'll probably have a fight 5 minutes into their first press conference and it'll be cancelled.

19 hours ago, BFTD said:

I think Tesco sacked someone for doing that a few years back. Kept her Clubcard on her when she was on the tills and anyone without a Clubcard she scanned her own to get the points. 

3 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I think Tesco sacked someone for doing that a few years back. Kept her Clubcard on her when she was on the tills and anyone without a Clubcard she scanned her own to get the points. 

Yes, am sure that story was highlighted here too. Can't remember what thread though. Maybe Compo Face?