League Cup QF draw

5 hours ago, Hughsie said:

It’s easy. All you need is a bowl, hair dryer, and the complicity and silence of every presenter, staff member, guest draw assistant, audience member, cameraman, TV producer….

You don't need a hair dryer and why on earth would all these people need to know! Have you never heard of compartmentalisation? For instance, can you provide me your logic why the cameraman would need to know the draw was being fixed?

Next you'll be telling me that Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK because too many people would've had to be involved!

32 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm surprised by that. I thought as a Falkirk fan who would like the best opportunity for your club to reach the final and possibly win the tournament. I don't think any club in Scotland fancy there chances at Parkhead.

From a purely footballing perspective obviously its the worst draw possible.

We see the bigger picture though and given our current status the finances this draw will bring means more in that sense.  We can maybe go and get a couple of loan players in now and that might make all the difference in a successful league campaign.

And still....... stranger things have happened!

13 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

You don't need a hair dryer and why on earth would all these people need to know! Have you never heard of compartmentalisation? For instance, can you provide me your logic why the cameraman would need to know the draw was being fixed?

Next you'll be telling me that Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK because too many people would've had to be involved!

Think you're doing a good enough job on the conspiracy theories yourself to be honest.

Edited by MulsonFFC

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Yup, a whole load of people not exactly famous for keeping secrets.

You'd think that if they were fixing draws there would be evidence in the actual outcome of draws. One of the main claims like this is that Celtic and Rangers are kept apart in draws, but the frequency with which it happens is completely normal. The other main claim is that they're given home draws - that's not true either. So if they're not being kept apart or given home draws, what's the fix?

It's just confirmation bias.

The fact that they so often seemed to meet in SEMI finals seemed suspicious for me,  it was almost as if.. they didn't want one of them given a home draw in a cup least the other side howl that it was unfair AAAND  they didn't want them in a final especially a Scottish cup final as they wouldn't be able to move the kick off to the preferred Sunday lunch time slot that the police want.   We had a Scottish cup final last year. they have slowly but surely allowed more Saturday games in recent years when European games have forced their hand. But they hate them playing each other on a Saturday, this is probably less about bother at the game itself and more about the rest of the country, Everyone going out on the lash on a Saturday night across central Scotland when one lot start singing and the other react, they want to just avoid that completely

On one hand - a home draw for us against another middling team is all you can ask for at this stage (and our 2011 SC QF win over Utd at Fir Park was one of my favourite games of that period - so more of that please).

On the other hand, having to witness Moult doing that "I'm not celebrating" celebration might be a bit much to take for the folk that still have a shrine dedicated to him in their spare room.

I don't think it's a stretch to think from a moral perspective, everyone involved ie clubs, the governing bodies and the tinpot broadcaster would be well up for fixing things for the cheeks. 

What is a stretch is any/all of those people being anywhere near competent enough to do so. 

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm surprised by that. I thought as a Falkirk fan who would like the best opportunity for your club to reach the final and possibly win the tournament. I don't think any club in Scotland fancy there chances at Parkhead.

Why not, free hit for us and a great day out in Glasgow, plus we will make a decent amount of cash out of it. No one expects us to do anything but this team has no fear. We will take a great crowd through and we haven’t played there in a while.

6 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The fact that they so often seemed to meet in SEMI finals seemed suspicious for me,  it was almost as if.. they didn't want one of them given a home draw in a cup least the other side howl that it was unfair AAAND  they didn't want them in a final especially a Scottish cup final as they wouldn't be able to move the kick off to the preferred Sunday lunch time slot that the police want.   We had a Scottish cup final last year. they have slowly but surely allowed more Saturday games in recent years when European games have forced their hand. But they hate them playing each other on a Saturday, this is probably less about bother at the game itself and more about the rest of the country, Everyone going out on the lash on a Saturday night across central Scotland when one lot start singing and the other react, they want to just avoid that completely

The semi final thing only works if you look at Scottish Cup draws and not League Cup, and only if you look at recent draws.

If you toss a coin 62 times, it becomes more probable than not that you'll get 5 heads in a row. Four Scottish Cup and three League Cup draws a season that the OF could be in, both of them in the Scottish Cup since 1888 and the League Cup since it began in the 1950s, you're going to get runs and patterns at times. And especially if you slice it up in various ways - only look at one round, only look at one cup etc. Data will tell you anything you want if you torture it hard enough.

If, instead of being drawn together in 5 Scottish Cup semis in a row (until last season) they'd been drawn apart, folk would have taken that as evidence of a conspiracy too. You can fit a narrative to any pattern.

To make the draws completely random, they should stop having some character drawing numbers out of a bowl that is often too small for them to get mixed up properly and head down to the local Gala Bingo hall and use their machine. 

On 18/08/2024 at 18:07, Suspect Device said:

I remember us beating Rangers 1-0 in a league cup QF at Pittodrie but it might have been more than 15 years ago because I'm getting old and my memory is shite. Will need to check AFC heritage.

Edit: 1999 😆

Andy Dow winner. FFS.

I think Rutkiewicz had the assist. I should've been revising for my Standard Grade pre-lims but was at Pittodrie. Stavrum winner in the semi vs Utd at Dens? Only time I've sat in the crooked main stand. 

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

To make the draws completely random, they should stop having some character drawing numbers out of a bowl that is often too small for them to get mixed up properly and head down to the local Gala Bingo hall and use their machine. 

Unless you introduce lava lamps into the equation, a human drawing balls will always be more random than a machine’s RNG. 

Edited by The Master

Regarding Rangers and Celtic being kept apart the difference now is that the draw is live on tv. Up until the formation of the spfl the cup had been going for 140 years. Celtic and Rangers had contested only 8 semi finals in that time. In the last ten years they have contested 5 semi finals and also met once in the fourth round. Could be coincidence I suppose

I remember when the semi final draw was made in 1997. I was running a business in Glasgow and one of the Celtic supporting staff said “get real pal we will take 7 or 8 off you”. This Falkirk side is better than that one. The Celtic side then contained the likes of Di Canio, Cadette and Thom - is this Celtic side as good as that one? We all know how those two games turned out. Oh I know lightening and all that……