Champions League 2024/25

This new format is f**king dogshit and the sooner the big clubs make the full transition into franchises and f**k off and play their super league in Saudi Arabia the better imo.

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

This new format is f**king dogshit and the sooner the big clubs make the full transition into franchises and f**k off and play their super league in Saudi Arabia the better imo.

Its been long talked about, and i've long agreed with the principle, that top level football is becoming much more boring. But i've always found myself still tuning in all the same. This season so far has been the first where iv been available to watch Barclays or Gazprom, and simply watched something else, or even more unusual up till now, just switching off at half time. 

Part of me wonders if the fact Falkirk are flying is satisyfing my football needs, but it feels more likely that its finally scunnered me 

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Its been long talked about, and i've long agreed with the principle, that top level football is becoming much more boring. But i've always found myself still tuning in all the same. This season so far has been the first where iv been available to watch Barclays or Gazprom, and simply watched something else, or even more unusual up till now, just switching off at half time. 

Part of me wonders if the fact Falkirk are flying is satisyfing my football needs, but it feels more likely that its finally scunnered me 

Yeah, football (and teams and individuals) at the top level still has the ability to entertain and excite, but it's been diminished returns for a long time now. This format removes even more jeopardy from the group stages now and adds some utter dross fixtures into the bargain.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Yeah, football (and teams and individuals) at the top level still has the ability to entertain and excite, but it's been diminished returns for a long time now. This format removes even more jeopardy from the group stages now and adds some utter dross fixtures into the bargain.

If you want proof that the Champions League have f**ked it, look no further than Celtic finding themselves able to register a comprehensive win. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

If you want proof that the Champions League have f**ked it, look no further than Celtic finding themselves able to register a comprehensive win. 

Yeah, although I do think that as much as we all dislike the OF, the Scottish Champions playing the Slovakian Champions is absolutely a fixture that should be in Europe's premier competition at some (early) stage. It's the 3rd in the Portuguese league playing the 5th in the Italian league shite along with Bayern v Madrid in October meaning absolutely f**k all because they'll both pump another half a dozen diddies after, before playing again in the semi for their 10th meeting in 9 seasons nonsense.

It all just feels like incredibly convoluted shite to make everyone eventually say 'aye f**k it, have your super league then you greedy c***s'

33 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Yeah, although I do think that as much as we all dislike the OF, the Scottish Champions playing the Slovakian Champions is absolutely a fixture that should be in Europe's premier competition at some (early) stage. It's the 3rd in the Portuguese league playing the 5th in the Italian league shite along with Bayern v Madrid in October meaning absolutely f**k all because they'll both pump another half a dozen diddies after, before playing again in the semi for their 10th meeting in 9 seasons nonsense.

It all just feels like incredibly convoluted shite to make everyone eventually say 'aye f**k it, have your super league then you greedy c***s'

it should have be re-named a long time ago from "Champions League".

43 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Celtic v Slovan or Bayern v Madrid.... and you question which one belongs in Europe's premier competition.

This format is designed to get more games like Milan v Liverpool, City v Inter and Bayern v Real Madrid, okay we are still getting the Bayern v Zagreb, Liverpool v Rangers and PSG v Celtic type of annual thrashings but at least these will be offset with more games with the elite playing each other. Whether we like that or not that is the aim of this format.

This is another slow step to getting a European super league. I would rather they just went for it although we saw the uproar when they did so it is going to be a change every few years until it becomes a super league by default.

My predictions are that soon we will see some fixture weeks where these games are on at the weekends. Then they will decide that 36 teams is too much and too many diddy teams and go to 2 x 18 leagues where the elite are almost cemented in to the top 18. Then is it a league that will be the priority for all those involved.

50 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The new Champions League format is cryptofascist.

As of Monday past this is the biggest crypto fascist.

IMG_1889.jpeg.54b86f71f444e220a4277e8192e4f77e.jpeg

Edited by Granny Danger

I am in fact pleased to see the Champo getting the Match of the Day treatment, however I'm underwhelmed by the BBC's seemingly scaled back presenting team. Stephen Warnock? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'd like to see them bring in someone like a John Obi Mikel, who has been doing stellar work out in Qatar as well as on his excellent 'Obi One' podcast. Ruud Gullit would be another big hitter and a bold, ambitious move.