Livi 🟡🟡 v. Morton 🔵⚪ 24-8-24

6 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Whats the script with Corr and Shaw ... any news?

Corr to be out for a few months needing a op for his dislocated shoulder. Expected to see Shaw at very least on the bench by now. 

Poor result. We weren’t great in the first half but should have had it out of sight at the beginning of the second in the period just after we scored. Ridiculous challenge from sole to give away the penalty. Morton were never in the game at that point. After they equalised, it was a pretty even contest up to the end. 

For all that folk don’t think he should be starting, we missed Shinnie after he went off. Much less control in the forward areas. I thought May looked like an upgrade on what we already have up front. That’s one of the few positives I’m taking. 

Morton are a team of grafters (apart from JET). They worked hard for the point and, ultimately, deserved it. 

10 minutes ago, GMFC89 said:

Corr to be out for a few months needing a op for his dislocated shoulder. Expected to see Shaw at very least on the bench by now. 

Thanks mate.

1 hour ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

We were good for around 15 minutes after scoring and should have scored more. Morton goalie made a great save to deny May. Other than that we lack a cutting edge. I'm never 100% sure what our game plan is. We then switch off and give away a daft penalty. 

Ball looked a good chunk over the line at the end by the angle he heads it onto the bar but even VAR wouldn't be able to confirm it definitively.

Yeah looked only a matter of time when we'd get a 2nd, the game was stretched and we were getting far more space in their final third. As much as i think the subs were the right decision, would've preferred them earlier in fact, but Sole got caught cold not having a chance to get up to speed with the game, didn't track his man, then realised his mistake but too late, and was the wrong side of him running back, allowing the reverse pass to get inside us, then you're thinking NO Sole, don't make the tackle, f**k.

Game changed after that and Morton went back to being more defensive and taking their time whenever play stopped. Looked like the net went up with the ball hitting it at the end, gutting ending with a draw, but always happens to us when we have a break, we never win our first game back.

Still looks like we're finding our feet with the link up play not yet clicking, just see the odd loose/wayward pass to spoil a neat move, once it clicks we'll hopefully see more goals and putting a run of wins together.

Today was the first time we've seen JET as a lone striker and I think that was enough evidence of why he can't do it and can only play in a two if he plays at all. The midfield shape was constantly changing in a good way with a lot of flexibility with usually Lyall but Moffat too taking turns to sit beside Wilson, all four in front of Wilson pressing as a unit at times and doing their jobs well, but ultimately they were all let down by not having an outball in front of them when we had possession. They were getting caught in possession because they effectively had no centre forward to play off with how little he was showing for them. That we had a more of an outball with Reynolds at centre forward - albeit Reynolds was his usual self whenever he was in a dangerous position whereas JET actually did something useful on the rarer occasion he got the ball - says a lot.

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Never made the game today, going by the stats we’ve stole that point! 

When Livi scored I genuinely thought it was game over as we didn't look like creating anything. They then wasted an open goal (in the manner of Van Vossen), forced a point blank save and hit a close range header off a teammate. Muirhead also hit a powderpuff free-kick from a decent position.

The subs did actually improve us for once. The penalty came from some decent passing and movement and we looked like we wanted to go for all three. The time taken for our set pieces later suggested we were happy with the point.

That final effort of theirs which came off the underside of the bar looked in to me. I was sure the net moved.

Clarke's miss at 1-0 was outrageous. There was 10-15 minutes of Livingston pressure where you kept thinking a second goal was coming while it was generally more half chances than sitters, but that was a genuine top 10 of all time horrific miss.

Edited by Dunning1874

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Today was the first time we've seen JET as a lone striker and I think that was enough evidence of why he can't do it and can only play in a two if he plays at all. The midfield shape was constantly changing in a good way with a lot of flexibility with usually Lyall but Moffat too taking turns to sit beside Wilson, all four in front of Wilson pressing as a unit at times and doing their jobs well, but ultimately they were all let down by not having an outball in front of them when we had possession. They were getting caught in possession because they effectively had no centre forward to play off with how little he was showing for them. That we had a more of an outball with Reynolds at centre forward - albeit Reynolds was his usual self whenever he was in a dangerous position whereas JET actually did something useful on the rarer occasion he got the ball - says a lot.

You looked a lot better when JET was subbed off. Was pretty easy playing it out of our defence, Nottingham just moved into 2nd gear and JET gave up trying to press him. Good pass for your offside goal but that was about it from him. Ridiculously unfit for a pro footballer, was the same with us, took half the season to get him in shape.

12 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Went for 1 v 1 on the scores predictor maybe that's why I am near the bottom of the table in that thread. 

Into every life a little sun must shine, PT. Fair play on the monumental accuracy. Stick a tenner on Ton making the playoffs. I have 100% faith in you.

Good lad. Cappielow's proud of you.

EDIT = the Indian pies were off the scale, possibly bettered only by Arbroath's steak & blacks. I managed to scoff four before they ran out. Kudos and respect to LIvi's catering staff for showing the fitba world how it should be done.

Edited by Chippyminton
Pie related

I thought we played well in the first half, limited Livi to relatively few chances. But as described above, a pressing system that has to account for basically playing with 10 men without the ball is impossible for 90 minutes. The longer the game went, the more Livingston dominated as they were able to just amble past JET and start attacks.

We countered well a couple of times in the first half but the second half was one way traffic. We got absolutely battered right up until the goal went in and Livi missed a flurry of sitters. When they don't take those chances you know there's a chance to get back into it.

Moffat, Lyall and Garrity all decent off the ball and Moffat and Wilson recycled it well. The penalty came from a really great move side to side and a great through ball from Moffat to Delaney.

The less said about Reynolds up front the better but I thought Davies did well when he came on. Held it up, won a few flick ons and free kicks.

I actually think we're a striker and a right mid away from being a better side than last year. Defensively solid, energetic with some decent ball players added. Livi will 100% be up there come the end of the season and will probably put a few past teams on occasions where they bring their shooting boots so it's a great point for sure.

1 hour ago, Chippyminton said:

Into every life a little sun must shine, PT. Fair play on the monumental accuracy. Stick a tenner on Ton making the playoffs. I have 100% faith in you.

Good lad. Cappielow's proud of you.

EDIT = the Indian pies were off the scale, possibly bettered only by Arbroath's steak & blacks. I managed to scoff four before they ran out. Kudos and respect to LIvi's catering staff for showing the fitba world how it should be done.

The speciality pies are tremendous.

Well done taking one for the team, eating all the pies to stop JET getting his hands on them.

Chippy ‘Four Pies’ Minton 🤣

Unheard of for me - but did anyone here sample one? TBF I didn’t finish work until 10 on Friday night, and had almost nothing on Saturday morning, so I over-compensated a bit. Only downside was having to wait for the forklift to get me back to the car. 

thought we'd won that game right at the end. Surely we could have 2 additional officials at both goals like they did in the Champions League before VAR ?

Had some doubts about May and the 1st half seemed to validate those. In the second half my brother in law handed me my cap to eat, which I didn't as I'd had a lovely pie. He played a lot better and if he keeps that up I'll be very happy to eat my words at least, showed guile, energy and willingness to work for the team. 

Nottingham actually played pretty darn good and with the other defenders (well deffo McGowan and Finlayson[future star]) we're looking nae bad at the back. Montano available as well. 

Jamie gets booked every game, I'm all for commitment, but don't get silly yellows that then inhibit your style.

Sole was gutted at the end, down on the ground, head down looked like he felt shite. Good. Don't do it again ffs. Start him next time.

Yengi needs to see a sports phycologist, he's got the tools, but seems to lack killer instinct/cutting edge, he needs to push past players and use his physique to boss them more, I'd like to see him and May work together up front, either 1 deep and one forward, or pair up evenly and get the rest of the team playing more positively. We should have attacked yesterday, and simply not stopped. 

Still finding our best team and although I like Shinnie (yar he's getting on a wee bit) I want to see more of the other lads too (Green)

JET is clearly overweight, a slimmer version would be a lot more dangerous, surely not worth playing until he gets fit.

Liked your lad Moffat I must say. 

I'm not freaking out about promotion (there are internal structural issues, that need resolved as a priority ), so wasn't as upset as my Dad and Bro-in law (who were going nuts) and a point is a point, one more game where we continue to gel as a team and some positives for sure.

Martindale need to remember to be positive too, as well as screaming, even when players are doing okay, he needs to enthuse, motivate, energise.. I'd like to see him be more professional and clinical, if he keeps the emotions in check, he'll make better real-time decisions, obviously.

Edited by larry the lion

I like May as a link man but he is not a natural finisher.

I was surprised to see Muirhead on the bench, I think he would work well with May.

Might make more sense to play Muirhead out wide and Yeng up top or even play Yengi and May as a front 2