🔴🟡Thistle vs Queen’s Park⚫️⚪️ - 31st August 2024

We approached that game today like last week, but it didn't work because Airdrie are rubbish and Thistle aren't. Turner for example struggled badly against a side that actually shut him down on the ball. Davidson needs to figure out another way to approach games against better teams because that's not going to work.

Poor stuff. We always seem to play pretty terribly at firhill over the last couple of years, we seem to freeze a fair bit and never impose ourselves which is frustrating

Clear how much we missed Thomson, Kerr and Ferrie. Was an opportunity for Wills to impress in goal but did anything but that. Absolutely nowhere for the opening goal

Need to get a grip with set pieces. Vast majority of the goals we’ve conceded this season have been from a cross in the box. Never agree with zonal marking and especially not having a man on the line.

Still worries me how reliant we are on dom Thomas performing. An off day for Dom but nobody stepping up to the mark. Macgregor extremely lightweight in the midfield and it looked like Welsh injured himself. 

Edited by qpfc

Like last season, much needed home win vs QP after a poor start to the season. Didn't think we were great but they were fairly toothless and we deserved it in the end. 

Good performances from Milne and O Reilly, thought Nilsson made a huge difference at right back just in terms of intent and it was good to see MacKenzie get a goal. 

Roberts did some good things but got away with the miskick when miles out his box and the handling outside the box was daft as there wasn't really much danger. 

Chalmers played a bit better second half but still waiting for him to show his previous form, maybe it'll click vs his former team in the next league game. 

Agree with most of the above. QP didn't look anywhere near as good as they did last season. Some good play, but lacking a cutting edge up front. Thistle were set up better in this game than the games I've seen this season (all home). Thought the introduction of Bannigan and Lyons in the centre of midfield made a difference, as we've had a huge gap in there in other games. Keeper looks an upgrade, and Ablade is tiny! Felt sorry for him that his 'goal' was offside, he was gutted.

Main downside today was that I took my wee boy who insisted we sat right at the front in the blazing sunshine, I'm skelping now. 🥵

Edited by Griff Sheridan

Some of us discussing how to disrupt the opposition the other day and we got a masterclass from Brian Graham today. QP having a good spell of pressure and getting closer in the second half and then a malignant ghost puts Graham on his back and it takes a good five mins for him to recover. Meanwhile, QP players forget where they were, what they were doing and what the plan was as they mingle for drinks. Play resumes, Thistle take the ascendency and goal two follows shortly after. Game over. 

A much better performance from ourselves today. Harry Milne deservedly getting motm for me. I felt the introduction of Bannigan really helped the midfield, Lyon did fine especially considering he has played almost no football for us for a year. Nilsson makes a difference at full too.

Felt for Ablade that his goal was chopped off, two in his first two would’ve been a great start. Great for Zander to bag his first goal too. All in all a good day at the office.

Just now, Griff Sheridan said:

Also Myles Robert has Cerny-esque levels of lying holding onto the ball on the ground.

I have been impressed with Roberts so far. Plays like someone who is older than he is. 

4 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Some of us discussing how to disrupt the opposition the other day and we got a masterclass from Brian Graham today. QP having a good spell of pressure and getting closer in the second half and then a malignant ghost puts Graham on his back and it takes a good five mins for him to recover. Meanwhile, QP players forget where they were, what they were doing and what the plan was as they mingle for drinks. Play resumes, Thistle take the ascendency and goal two follows shortly after. Game over. 

M Ghost deserved a booking for that imo.

1 hour ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Not at the races today and we desperately need a striker cause what we have ain't good enough.

Agreed, 100%, we need a poacher.

I honestly didn't think they were any great shakes, but effective, whereas we were lucky to get "0"!

What's the law regarding the keeper handling outside the box?

Straight red under any circumstances?

Yellow if the keeper is actually still in his box?

Yellow if it doesn't truthfully actually prevent a goal scoring opportunity? 

Bit of a stinger after last week with Ferrie's straight red for technically doing the exact same thing.

19 minutes ago, GloriousHoops said:

What's the law regarding the keeper handling outside the box?

Straight red under any circumstances?

Yellow if the keeper is actually still in his box?

Yellow if it doesn't truthfully actually prevent a goal scoring opportunity? 

Bit of a stinger after last week with Ferrie's straight red for technically doing the exact same thing.

Looked your guy caught the ball outside the box not long after. At least ref Graham was claiming it.

What was pleasing about today's competent performance is that there is undoubtedly better to come as the team gels nicely .

Roberts,Milne and Wee lyon all standouts today in a team who all deserved pass marks, and well done to young Mackenzie scoring his first professional goal .

Caught a glimpse of Calum Davidson exiting ground with a face like a wet Wednesday in Thornliebank.Thought Josh Hinds looked a handful when he came on in an otherwise meh Spiders team .

Fair play to the 400 odd Spiders who made the trip North.Loved your answer to Foghorn Leghorn  who kept on belting out "Come on the Queens " every 15 mins in big bellicose baritone fashion .

Rudden did not disappoint ...still the same big lolloping,headless chicken diving mess ....but I think he's improved ...took his Lambie pelters well when cramping up at end.

It's only a red for deliberate handball if it's denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, which it clearly wasn't given it was about 3 yards from the goal line at the side of the box, yellow was the correct decision, all he really did was prevent a corner. It might even have been an indirect free kick if he was inside the box as it could have been classed as a passback

Think the QP goalie was just inside his box a couple of minutes later.

That should be our keeper and back 4 for league games until injuries or suspensions dictate otherwise. I still think our best midfield 3 doesn't include Bannigan but he did well enough today.

Chance maybe next week to get Ablade and Smith involved a bit more but we should still be fielding a strong team given the increased prize money in the challenge cup.

2 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Not at the races today and we desperately need a striker cause what we have ain't good enough.

Our strikers didn't have that much service today.  Thistle were direct and found their own players. We weren't and passed to Thistle defenders.  Doesn't matter who you have up front when that happens.