Dumbarton vs The Maroon Machine

16 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I like the look of that starting lineup.

Hide contents

Dumbarton 0-3 Kelty Hearts

I feel much the same. Looks like a really well balanced midfield three, and a really well balanced front three. Cue the horrible defeat.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Nope.

It's even more irritating that I use Fotmob, which plays an "Awwww" notification sound whenever your team concedes. 

I could set my watch to 3.05pm using it every Saturday, and I'd never be more than 5 minutes out.

We look horrible at the back, but really quite good going forward. Still don't like Hilton in midfield. I wouldn't be against Lynas coming on and pushing Carlo further forward. Maybe even at centre half as Kelty look like they're getting joy putting pressure on Miller.

Going by the twitter, much like our other home games this season? Fair draw, coming from behind twice. But, disappointed not to be taking more of the chances we are creating.

I'd imagine Faz will be saying something along the lines of "Someone is going to take a heavy defeat to us. We are due one."

Frustrating game. Kelty profited from some horrific mistakes. First and second goals were the result of really poor defending. I thought they might have pressed more when Miller was still on the park and tried to force more mistakes. We desperately need a centre half to help make us more solid - some of the goals we've lost this season have been really poor. I also still don't like Hilton playing in midfield as he isnt good enough defensively and he's playing too deep to properly contribute going forward. 

But we rescued another draw. We probably looked ok going forward in spells, but our final ball wasn't always great and we were slow getting support to help Ruth at times. It's either Gray, Hilton or McGuffie and any of them can do it, but they need to have that role clearly defined. Or we do something mad like playing 2 strikers. 

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

Wasn't there today but neebur says we will play better and get beat this season so to play how we did it's a  point gained in his opinion apparently 

Felt we could have taken a couple of chances we had but a draw probably a pretty fair result!. Billy Owens playing in his natural position is half decent rather than right back 🤣

Well I'll be blown, two goals from two conventional corners.  Who would have thought it ?

Well not me for the last ten minutes today, as Kelty were seeing out the win quite comfortably before our spirit gained us a point.  By that time we had completely lost any cohesion and pattern.

And what a contrary team we are; capable of producing nice football and creating chances, but disturbingly incapable of keeping hens out of a midden at the back.  Never mind one central defender, we need two if Durnan falls to injury again.

I imagine Faz will be the happier manager tonight, and on the plus side we have competed well in the five league matches this far, but we urgently need to stop playing catch-up.

As for Kelty, they moved the ball well and the lad McCartan took full advantage of poor defending for the first goal.  But I'd hazard Michael Tidser would be unhappy at being pegged back twice, as well as the number of Dumbarton corners and how his defence dealt with them.

Good game for the neutral though.

13 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well I'll be blown, two goals from two conventional corners.  Who would have thought it ?

Well not me for the last ten minutes today, as Kelty were seeing out the win quite comfortably before our spirit gained us a point.  By that time we had completely lost any cohesion and pattern.

I did think that after the subs and change of formation we looked more disjointed and thought getting a point might be beyond us. But then we've got to keep that draw run going somehow..

Felt in the first half it could've been about 3-3 with the chances Kelty created and if Niang's touch had just been a bit sharper or Durnan had scored with his shot inside the box. 

Miller gives me the absolute fear at centre half, the first goal McCarvel went past him like he wasn't there. I don't know if I'm then just making him the fall guy for the chances that came after it.

13 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

First question: are Dumbarton doing this for a meme?

Second question (@Jan Vojáček) how many consecutive draws for a club record?

Second answer (sort of...). I think four consecutive was the most we'd ever managed? Although we have the Berwick game in there as an anomaly. @microdaveis the man for this one though. I'd imagine five straight league games to start a season is a first though!

10 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Felt we could have taken a couple of chances we had but a draw probably a pretty fair result!. Billy Owens playing in his natural position is half decent rather than right back 🤣

Had the fear when I seen team sheet but Mercer was in the team 😂😂, good point away and good to keep unbeaten start to the league going 

I quite enjoyed that again today. And I can see why Kelty are where they are. They're the most dangerous looking side we've played this year, so much pace and drive on the break.

Overall I thought we were the better side. And a mixture of mistakes at one end and poor finishing at the other cost us. Fair play to Kelty though, if they'd taken all three points you'd have to doff your cap to an outstanding away performance. They were clinical, defended well for the most part, slowed play down when they could and were always dangerous. But I don't think you could deny we deserved at least a point. Even if the second Durnan goal did arrive at probably our worst spell in the match.

The game itself was quite similar to last week. And even the Alloa game. We create plenty, we're by and large enjoyable to watch. We have a superb striker in Michael Ruth and guys around him (Shiels, Carlo, McGuffie, Hilton, Gray and Sena) who are all capable of doing some excellent things. But equally as capable of overplaying and frustrating. But, unfortunately, we always look like we've got a mistake to gift the opposition a chance in us.

I can only echo other comments about Ruth needing someone a bit closer. He does some absolutely incredible work to occupy defenders. But a lot of it comes to nothing when there's nobody within 20 yards.

The goals we lost today were criminal. Luke McCarvel took his well, but breezed beyond Mikey Miller and (I think) Carlo like they weren't there. Craig Johnston's came from Scott Allan being given time and space and Mark Durnan getting taken out of the game by one pass. 

We need a win. Obviously. But that's five games in, and we haven't looked out of our depth at any point in any of them. Save maybe for the first 45 minutes against Inverness.

You'd like to think we can cut out the defensive mistakes. They can't keep flowing as they are, and we're creating more than enough to be winning games. It reminds me a bit of stages last season, where it felt like we were 80% of the way there to being a really good side. But the final 10% was in each box. And it was killing us.

This team has a cracking spirit. It's got some exciting options in attack. It's got personality and character and it feels like the connection sparked with the fans during the end of last season is very much still there. But we feel in a weird no man's land where our first non-draw of the season is either going to make the fans feel like we can challenge for the top four, or resign ourselves to relegation for failing to win games where we were on top. It's like a perilous tipping point and that Annan game cannot come soon enough!

(I can't believe some mug tipped Kelty to finish ninth by the way. How embarrassing!)