St Johnstone Vs Motherwell - The Liam Gordon Derby

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'll have a crossbar challenge to enjoy at half time too.

A cross bar challenge and 3 points then down the road, o potential great day out.

On 28/08/2024 at 23:48, joewarkfanclub said:

Id rather start with Lennon Miller in his preferred role alongside either Halliday or Davor. 

Play Watt (& Mawanhise) from the start and sub him at half time once we are 2 up and cruising! 😉

Lennon interviewed on the Beeb saying his more advanced role has taken some getting used to but he's enjoying it as getting more goals is his target for the season. 

So that's preferred by us, because change is bad, mmm'kay 

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Lennon interviewed on the Beeb saying his more advanced role has taken some getting used to but he's enjoying it as getting more goals is his target for the season. 

So that's preferred by us, because change is bad, mmm'kay 

Not sure I get your point?

Miller was clearly being used in the advanced role as we didnt have any other options.

It was dressed up as trying to develop other areas of his game, which is fair enough, but he is clearly more comfortable in the deeper role and has been demonstrably more productive for the team there as he just bosses the game and controls the tempo for us.

Now we have Maswanhise and Watt (albeit still not fully fit), so no need to shoehorn Miller into the advanced role from the start. 

Unless of course SK has spitted a weekness in their team that he thinks Miller can punish.

"I kind of struggled at the start the season, it was new for me being higher up the park and obviously different receiving positions and stuff like that," he added.

"But I feel like I've learned it now I'm really enjoying it. Scoring more goals and getting more assists is something I set myself at the start of the season, so being higher up the park is probably going to help that."

Given that is from yesterday, it feels a bit more substantial than "dressing up" something that might have been a necessary evil when we didn't have the personnel.

21 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Given that is from yesterday, it feels a bit more substantial than "dressing up" something that might have been a necessary evil when we didn't have the personnel.

It may well be. 

My original point was that Id like to win the game as comfortably as possible.

IMHO that means playing everyone in their best positions.

Lennon was poor for the first 20 minutes last week.

Id rather we just played him in his best position where he can control the game for us.

7 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Short term pain for longer term gain, I suspect.   Midfielders who are more obviously attack-minded and chip in with goals will attract a bigger transfer fee than a deeper-lying player, apart from anything else.

I must just be old fashioned.

I like to win games first.

If players can develop and add strings to their bow, thats a bonus.

It cant be at the expense of the team and winning the game.

Liam Gordon had a great career for Saints and was a popular player and captain, and rightly so.

He took an over the top amount of stick in his last year or so, as fans were fed up with the team’s poor form.

Hopefully he’ll get a great reception tomorrow, which will be fully deserved.

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Liam Gordon had a great career for Saints and was a popular player and captain, and rightly so.

He took an over the top amount of stick in his last year or so, as fans were fed up with the team’s poor form.

I will personally applaud him if he can give us a penaltyout of nothing, be the cause of a Well goal being chopped off or swivel about on his arse while Benji bamboozles him with his trickery.

Gordons biggest enemy is VAR.

If he's marking Sanders, and vice versa, then it's 100% guaranteed that someone is getting a penalty for those two bear hugging each other.

12 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I hope your fans booh the hell out of him!

Just for that little extra motivation you understand! 

😆😆😆

Be interesting to see team and formation today as there are a few choices. I’d go

Sinclair

Neilson     Sanders    Cameron

Wright        Holt   Essel   Raymond

Smith

Kimpioka.    Clark

Dont for a second think this will happen but I’d give this a go.

1 hour ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Be interesting to see team and formation today as there are a few choices. I’d go

Sinclair

Neilson     Sanders    Cameron

Wright        Holt   Essel   Raymond

Smith

Kimpioka.    Clark

Dont for a second think this will happen but I’d give this a go.

I’d go the same but maybe put Carey in behind the strikers in place of Smith.

He’s less mobile than Smith, but Essel and Holt can do his running. He can be hit or miss, but still gives more creativity than anyone else. I get that it’s usually creating from out wide but I’d let him wander.