East Fife Vs Clyde

McCall should go tonight. That team isn’t getting better the more they play together, they’re on a downwards trajectory, and we should be looking to change things before it’s too late. There’s no physicality there at all and the back line was pathetic all game. I know a lot of people are unhappy with Hamilton at right back, but I’ll cut the manager some slack with that given the absence of Houston and Hynes. Kinnear is usually reliable but threw in a stinker today alongside the worst defending I’ve ever seen from a collective.

The team’s heads had absolutely gone and I’ve rarely seen a team create as little with a wind advantage as we did second half. The team’s packed full of tidy, wee players but teams have figured out how to run over the top of us. East Fife were well-drilled, dominated the midfield, and Austin was very effective upfront. Nothing flashy but you don’t need to be at this level. 

A number of our players, and the backroom staff, are very well paid for the level but, my word, they aren’t showing it. Despite the deficiencies, it’s a squad who should be doing a lot better. The manager was extremely well-backed, got most of the first choices for the positions he wanted, and had a full pre-season to work with them. I had a bit of patience last season when even with the high turnover of players in January we weren’t really getting results (e.g. it’s difficult changing so many players mid-season, particularly at part-time level etc.) but I’m not pleased at all with what we’re seeing. Depressingly, I’m not sure if we’ll have the money to change it in January given what we’re supposed to have spent during this window. Finally, substituting Redfern and Grant at that stage in the game was perhaps the most baffling call of the day and I’m glad it was appropriately booed. Connelly’s been an absolute sand dancer.

On 29/08/2024 at 21:57, SLClyde said:

Nathan Austin on form and usually scores against us…

Quick buy a lottery ticket!!!

Quite literally one of the most laughable performances (management included) I’ve ever seen from a Clyde team. If I tried to get properly into it I’d be typing for weeks. Ended up having a bit of an out of body experience and just ended up giggling to myself when the fifth went in.

Utterly pathetic.

59 minutes ago, Replays said:

McCall should go tonight. That team isn’t getting better the more they play together, they’re on a downwards trajectory, and we should be looking to change things before it’s too late. There’s no physicality there at all and the back line was pathetic all game. I know a lot of people are unhappy with Hamilton at right back, but I’ll cut the manager some slack with that given the absence of Houston and Hynes. Kinnear is usually reliable but threw in a stinker today alongside the worst defending I’ve ever seen from a collective.

The team’s heads had absolutely gone and I’ve rarely seen a team create as little with a wind advantage as we did second half. The team’s packed full of tidy, wee players but teams have figured out how to run over the top of us. East Fife were well-drilled, dominated the midfield, and Austin was very effective upfront. Nothing flashy but you don’t need to be at this level. 

A number of our players, and the backroom staff, are very well paid for the level but, my word, they aren’t showing it. Despite the deficiencies, it’s a squad who should be doing a lot better. The manager was extremely well-backed, got most of the first choices for the positions he wanted, and had a full pre-season to work with them. I had a bit of patience last season when even with the high turnover of players in January we weren’t really getting results (e.g. it’s difficult changing so many players mid-season, particularly at part-time level etc.) but I’m not pleased at all with what we’re seeing. Depressingly, I’m not sure if we’ll have the money to change it in January given what we’re supposed to have spent during this window. Finally, substituting Redfern and Grant at that stage in the game was perhaps the most baffling call of the day and I’m glad it was appropriately booed. Connelly’s been an absolute sand dancer.

Redfern was injured. They had Connolly ready to come on at halftime, and Redfern sat with a bag of ice on his leg for the remainder. A shame as he was playing well.

For me, the biggest issue is we don't look at all organised. We just seem happy to give up big open spaces but are not good enough on the ball for that to worm. And the fact that defending every set piece is a total mess because the opposition will always have a target to win the first header that we can't deal with (first goal). 

Doesn't help that so many individuals were absolutely abysmal; Kinnear, Hamilton, Howie, McKay, Murdoch, Connolly.

East Fife were everything we should be.

East Fife are getting better and more confident each week. My only fear is squad depth if we get some injuries. RB is already a concern.

McCall wasn't half getting some stick from the away fans once the 4th goal went in. To be fair he inexplicably took off their two best players to a chorus of boos.

Very pleasing to see as a home fan :)

What a  game and performance by East FIfe.

The Clyde defence were all over the shop in the first half,  we could have scored 5, Austin passed a few chances up that were easier than his worldie. I didn't really see our Penalty clearly but the Clyde award  looked the correct decision.

Regular attendees to Bayview know that sometimes its not that difficult playing into the  wind. Keep the  ball down and i  thought we played some excellent stuff on the deck. Another cracking assist from McManus  and really  pleased for Adam Laaref. We really need to sort out right back though Jess Norey, slotted in  well but hes too god a player to be playing there.

As for Clyde they were everything that East Fife weren't.  Shaky in central  defence and weak  in midfield. I'm a fan of  Kyle Connell but he isn't  a lone striker, he needs someone to play off of.

Things couldn't have gone  better for us  today. Free hit at  Dunfermline next week  and hopefully Dick gets a few loans  over the line.

In the end a very comprehensive and comfortable victory for EF with very good allround performances from all the squad.  I was very disappointed ( but ultimately pleased) with how poor Clyde were, caused by their lack of firepower from their “big” signings, but mainly (I believe) due to the resolute EF central defenders and midfield. Fash was causing mayhem every time he closed the defenders down  while McManus ruled the midfield in the second half. Hats off to wee Laaref when he came on with a goal and an assist.

As I’ve said before, the bench looks a bit lightweight with Murdoch having to go off today 

after 25 minutes and his replacement , Docherty, being injured last week. Hopefully, the possibility of 3 new signings coming in will strengthen the options available to the management team.

Still early days, but things are looking up, bring on the Pars next week.

49 minutes ago, David W said:

Redfern was injured. They had Connolly ready to come on at halftime, and Redfern sat with a bag of ice on his leg for the remainder. A shame as he was playing well.

For me, the biggest issue is we don't look at all organised. We just seem happy to give up big open spaces but are not good enough on the ball for that to worm. And the fact that defending every set piece is a total mess because the opposition will always have a target to win the first header that we can't deal with (first goal). 

Doesn't help that so many individuals were absolutely abysmal; Kinnear, Hamilton, Howie, McKay, Murdoch, Connolly.

East Fife were everything we should be.

Thanks David, missed that at half-time due to trying to enjoy the sun at. I’ll retract that and let the manager off with that one! 

I'll mostly leave slagging Clyde as it has been covered already and I've nothing much to add. Redfern played well. Grant was alright. Allan and Connell tried hard.

Instead I want to talk about Nathan Austin. That was a 10/10 performance today. The two goals obviously but East Fife fans may not have noticed him at the second goal. He was in the ref's ear at the big hoof up the park saying its a corner if it goes out. Not sure that was even true but he knew it cost nothing to gamble there. Kinnear must have heard him because he looked up and then decided not to let the ball run, bizarrely, trying to dribble it back into his box. Austin charged him down and forced Kinnear into the handball for the free kick that led to the penalty and then the goal. Just really, really intelligent play all round, without even touching the ball.

Absolutely excellent performance from us today. Controlled that game from start to finish, barely gave Clyde a sniff and could have had more than 5 quite easily.

There were too many good performances to not them all but Austin was an obvious stand out. Straight from tye start, he looked like peak Fash, quick on the turn, twisting defenders all over the place, causing panic, and providing the end product. Another commanding performance from Kieran Miller as well. He's everywhere in midfield, putting in tackles, winning back possession and generally ensuring we controlled the game in the middle.

Clyde were obviously woeful. The best I can say about them is that they did at least manage to look dangerous a few times in the first half and when they got their goal back, I was worried the game might turn in the second half. But in the end, they were shocking defensively and never looked capable of competing for control of the game. Bug improvement needed if they're to get a play-off spot, never mind win the league.

1 hour ago, Beachcomber said:

What a  game and performance by East FIfe.

The Clyde defence were all over the shop in the first half,  we could have scored 5, Austin passed a few chances up that were easier than his worldie. I didn't really see our Penalty clearly but the Clyde award  looked the correct decision.

Regular attendees to Bayview know that sometimes its not that difficult playing into the  wind. Keep the  ball down and i  thought we played some excellent stuff on the deck. Another cracking assist from McManus  and really  pleased for Adam Laaref. We really need to sort out right back though Jess Norey, slotted in  well but hes too god a player to be playing there.

As for Clyde they were everything that East Fife weren't.  Shaky in central  defence and weak  in midfield. I'm a fan of  Kyle Connell but he isn't  a lone striker, he needs someone to play off of.

Things couldn't have gone  better for us  today. Free hit at  Dunfermline next week  and hopefully Dick gets a few loans  over the line.

Best team no question but doubt you will play a team that makes it as easy as Clyde did. Every single goal avoidable . Austin took his second well but had umpteen chances to clear it beforehand. Trouten scoring with a header summed things up. 

3 hours ago, Menzel said:

Is this a case of a decent Clyde squad with incorrect tactics, or a case of the players performing worse than expected? Looking at the talk before the start of the season this sort of result comes as a real surprise (albeit my L2 knowledge is not as astute as most of you!).

A combination of both.  Add in a stubborn manager and a recipe for disaster.  

8 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Forfar fans said exactly the same thing 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Just now, sirscottyoung said:

And Stirling 

And Edinburgh City fans!!!

1 hour ago, Shawfield78 said:

Best team no question but doubt you will play a team that makes it as easy as Clyde did. Every single goal avoidable . Austin took his second well but had umpteen chances to clear it beforehand. Trouten scoring with a header summed things up. 

Trouts scores loads of headers. Not quite sure what your point is.

I fully expected a very tough game today but how wrong can you be that was as one sided as you’ll see. Clyde were poor all over the park and were bullied all game. Far too many light weight players in one team and no physical presence what so ever. Best laugh of the day was the Clyde galactacos coming out 10 minutes early for the 2nd half waiting to pounce on their pray. Then with a gale force wind behind them they managed to play 45 minutes without a shot at the goals. I would so much like to see what Mcoll had written on his folder during the. game. In all honesty it should have been 7 or 8 . No failures in black and gold today I thought  Peggie, Newton and our two central defenders were immense. That was the same starting 11 that started at Elgin in the first game how much have we improved from that game. Even the subs that came on showed up well and played their part. A good right back is the final piece of the jig saw hopefully that will be addressed next week. A good home support today and it looks like more fans coming out every week. Been a crap 3 or 4 years supporting East Fife but things look on the up. Good to be enjoying going to Bayview on a Saturday instead of a chore.

Fabulous performance that blew Clyde away. Clyde put us under a bit of pressure early in the second half with the wind at their backs and forced a lot of corners but our defence coped well. Eventually got control back and played decent football and ran out comfortable winners. 

Clyde for all the hype were pretty shambolic at the back. 

Never heard MOM award today but Austin, Peggie, Miller and Mcmanus were awesome. Every player deserves great credit for the past few weeks. 

47 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Trouts scores loads of headers. Not quite sure what your point is.

Well we had 2 six foot defenders and he doesn't look the tallest.  Didn't realise he did score loads fair enough.