Blue Toon vs Sons

Who goes through?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who goes through?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/09/24 at 14:00

I know this competition gets a bit of a bad name but I’ve generally quite enjoyed it. Obviously don’t agree with the b team side of it but the prospect of drawing a foreign team was pretty exciting. It also gave us that special run to the final at Hampden so maybe a bit of bias here.

The foreign teams being removed takes a bit away but the increased prize money is a big positive and should give us  added motivation to progress in this one. A guaranteed extra £5k is not to be sniffed at.

Both teams will see this as winnable but also a chance to give some fringe players minutes. Looking forward to seeing what some of them can do and hopeful we can continue our positive start to the season.

Edited by bluetoonscotty

4 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Ref seems a bit card happy or are we playing with a ‘bit of dig’?

Aye, there were a few meaty challanges from you guys.  Your number 9 was lucky to stay on the park after an elbow to the face, a couple of needless challenges and then a tackle that could and should have been a straight red.

On the game, I think we deserved the lead and had the better of the game until we scored.  We then sat back and let them come at us and they did with 5 upfront at one point.  A brilliant save from the keeper to thank for winning this one.  Also a shout out to MoM Barry who is growing on me and I thought he had a brilliant game, and his first half strike that hit the bar with the keeper a static spectator would have been another contender for goal of the season to add to last week's.

Edited by strichener

6 hours ago, strichener said:

Aye, there were a few meaty challanges from you guys.  Your number 9 was lucky to stay on the park after an elbow to the face, a couple of needless challenges and then a tackle that could and should have been a straight red.

We're not exactly a dirty or particularly heavy handed outfit. Maybe you guys are just a bit soft... 

Not too surprized that we were able to field about 6 or 7 players that maybe have not been 1st choices all the time. have built a strong squad this season. The ref did not have control at times and could have had to give himself  a red card for a stamp on Peter Pawlett. Our midfield are really looking good  now and were closing down quicker yesterday and if we had a true striker available would be scoring more. Deserved our win and will see who we get next on Tuescday

8 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

We're not exactly a dirty or particularly heavy handed outfit. Maybe you guys are just a bit soft... 

I never thought you were a dirty side but I think it is symptomatic of this season's batch of whistlers who seem to have told to let games flow.This is leading to some players think they can get away with a lot more than they used to. For example, we have Andy McCarthy sidelined with three broken ribs and a punctured lung after a challenge at Spartans and former loanee Flynn Duffy stretchered off at Inverness with the same injury.In both these cases, the refs took their time to stop the games.

We're also starting to see a lot more simulation when players fall down rolling about and screaming after minimal contact and the benches are up berating the officials.

As for us being a bit soft, our injury list this season so far includes a fractured collarbone, broken ribs, broken ankle bone, concussion, all apart from the normal hamstrings.

I think that the speed and quality of our midfield this season is bringing out frustration in opposition defences and with no help from inept whistlers, there could be more to come until the return of a fully fit McAllister to bully defenders.