Doonhamers v Diamonds, Diddy Cup 7 Sept

2 hours ago, The red diamond said:

Any good pubs with beer garden to go to between train station and stadium.

Pub closest to the station (Waverley). The Granary in the town is a slightly better Weatherspoons. Hole in the Wa' is a hit with a lot of folk. If you leave from the beer garden there there's a wee pub further along called the Tam O'Shanter. 

I'm sure the Cavens Arms has one as well and has a lot of real ale choices, if that's your thing. As good as you'll get pub grub wise also. 

And I'm really not sure about the ones across the water tbh but there weren't any the last time I was in (a good few years ago, mind you). 

13 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

I have no ill feelings towards Ally Roy. 

Absolute shitebag. Had the heart the size of a pea. Ruben, Innes Cameron and Ally Roy as your striker options in the Championship is enough to make you want to chuck football.

But why do we hate the Challenge Cup? Why is it so far down the pecking order in terms of competitions that many fans would rather see defeat in the early stages than a day out at a Cup Final Stadium? I’m sure it can’t be the fiver they charge for a match day pie can it?

All too often we ask why fans and managers have fallen out of love with the Challenge Cup without sparing a thought for the poor old League version. If our love affair with the Challenge Cup is in danger of breaking down, then we have already divorced it several years ago.

So why?

My first thought is maybe it’s the sponsors. The Challenge cup has been sponsored by a dizzying and bewildering number of brands over the years.  None of which cries “Sex Appeal” Even this year, when the sponsor is paying out more prize money, it still doesn’t feel quite right.

Maybe it’s the prize money? Winning the Challenge Cup trophy may come hand in hand with a nice shiny silver vase to stick in the club museum but it doesn’t help fill the club’s coffers. This season we’re talking about small TV deals for every team in the league and yet winning the Challenge Cup final will boost club finances by a lot more money, that’s just over a fraction what top players earn in a week! Sure, to me £100k or so may seem like a fair chunk of cash but when you consider that’s the same amount that saw Torino buy Denis Law from Manchester City for back in 1961 you can probably reason that times, financially, have moved on.

How about the occasion? Has some of the magic been lost? In times gone by a Cup Final, whatever flavour, was a special occasion. The game would stand alone on its day as a beacon of footballing glory in an otherwise desolate weekend wilderness of matches. Sure it was overkill. Sure it was boring. But now we’ve gone the other way. This weekend’s games are forcing fans onto dodgy streams and text updates meaning that the communal magic of the cup is no more. It was NOT an occasion.

Truth is, it’s not down to any one single thing. We can’t blame sponsorship or reserve teams entering when we happily act as walking billboards for whatever dubious brand win the local shirt sponsorship, our board decide to stick their name on our replica kit each season. It can’t be the money when each and every one of us would happily stick two fingers up at financial fair play rules if it meant our club could fork out eye-boggling sums of cash on a young proven striker. It certainly isn’t the occasion when it is us, the fans, who demand wall to wall football every single weekend. The idea of an hour, yet alone a day without a live game leaves us in a cold sweat. We are simply being given the sickly sweet football action whenever we ask for it with no one to tell us we’ve had enough and need to do our chores before we’re sick all over our toys again.

As a Queens fan and it’s the same for any other real fan, how can you simply sit at home when the first team is playing, irrespective what ever tournament your club is competing in?

11 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Absolute shitebag. Had the heart the size of a pea. Ruben, Innes Cameron and Ally Roy as your striker options in the Championship is enough to make you want to chuck football.

Sadly I’ve no evidence yet in terms of the goals for column that we have any better this season! 

7 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

But why do we hate the Challenge Cup? Why is it so far down the pecking order in terms of competitions that many fans would rather see defeat in the early stages than a day out at a Cup Final Stadium? I’m sure it can’t be the fiver they charge for a match day pie can it?

All too often we ask why fans and managers have fallen out of love with the Challenge Cup without sparing a thought for the poor old League version. If our love affair with the Challenge Cup is in danger of breaking down, then we have already divorced it several years ago.

So why?

My first thought is maybe it’s the sponsors. The Challenge cup has been sponsored by a dizzying and bewildering number of brands over the years.  None of which cries “Sex Appeal” Even this year, when the sponsor is paying out more prize money, it still doesn’t feel quite right.

Maybe it’s the prize money? Winning the Challenge Cup trophy may come hand in hand with a nice shiny silver vase to stick in the club museum but it doesn’t help fill the club’s coffers. This season we’re talking about small TV deals for every team in the league and yet winning the Challenge Cup final will boost club finances by a lot more money, that’s just over a fraction what top players earn in a week! Sure, to me £100k or so may seem like a fair chunk of cash but when you consider that’s the same amount that saw Torino buy Denis Law from Manchester City for back in 1961 you can probably reason that times, financially, have moved on.

How about the occasion? Has some of the magic been lost? In times gone by a Cup Final, whatever flavour, was a special occasion. The game would stand alone on its day as a beacon of footballing glory in an otherwise desolate weekend wilderness of matches. Sure it was overkill. Sure it was boring. But now we’ve gone the other way. This weekend’s games are forcing fans onto dodgy streams and text updates meaning that the communal magic of the cup is no more. It was NOT an occasion.

Truth is, it’s not down to any one single thing. We can’t blame sponsorship or reserve teams entering when we happily act as walking billboards for whatever dubious brand win the local shirt sponsorship, our board decide to stick their name on our replica kit each season. It can’t be the money when each and every one of us would happily stick two fingers up at financial fair play rules if it meant our club could fork out eye-boggling sums of cash on a young proven striker. It certainly isn’t the occasion when it is us, the fans, who demand wall to wall football every single weekend. The idea of an hour, yet alone a day without a live game leaves us in a cold sweat. We are simply being given the sickly sweet football action whenever we ask for it with no one to tell us we’ve had enough and need to do our chores before we’re sick all over our toys again.

As a Queens fan and it’s the same for any other real fan, how can you simply sit at home when the first team is playing, irrespective what ever tournament your club is competing in?

I don’t get the hate for The Challenge cup. I loved our final appearances ( just don’t mention the Perth final!). If you win it the cash is useful. I’m away so can’t go today but I want to watch every first team game and always want my team to win. All this nonsense about I want us to be out to focus on the league is bizarre. I think we will have injuries whatever and to me getting a well oiled team winning, scoring and gaining confidence is better than being out of 2/3 of the cup competitions just as Autumn is arriving, which just backs failure and mediocrity. Only my views….

19 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Paton was shite that season too. 

Happy enough we're out of the diddy cup but can't say I'm happy with that second half performance* though. We desperately missed Bryden and Hewitt today. Probably the most shaky we've been at the back since Murphy came in. Hopefully they're not far away. 

Thought McIntosh put himself about well in the first half but if he isn't going to be given a partner then the support need to get up to him a lot quicker. A few times he had the ball but we were so slow getting to him. 

Thankfully no more injuries to speak of* and we can concentrate on the league are about the only two positives to take from today. 

* The 25 minutes I saw before I left. 

Another inept display where we look as though we could play for weeks and not score. So many passengers.

If we go into league action with this defensive set up it won’t be long till our “goals against column” sees some action. You could drive a bus through that rearguard.

Shows how far we’ve fallen - can’t even give Airdrie a decent game at home in the Diddy Cup.

A depressing watch.

PS - excellent coverage and commentary from Diamonds TV. 

39 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Happy enough we're out of the diddy cup but can't say I'm happy with that second half performance* though. We desperately missed Bryden and Hewitt today. Probably the most shaky we've been at the back since Murphy came in. Hopefully they're not far away. 

Thought McIntosh put himself about well in the first half but if he isn't going to be given a partner then the support need to get up to him a lot quicker. A few times he had the ball but we were so slow getting to him. 

Thankfully no more injuries to speak of* and we can concentrate on the league are about the only two positives to take from today. 

* The 25 minutes I saw before I left. 

I applaud your positivity. Thank god I missed it. 6 competitive games out of 10 we have failed to score in. Hope we win next week but at the moment the results don’t lie. We are even worse than last season. Murphy needs to get us winning again and fast. 

1 minute ago, HighlandQueen said:

I applaud your positivity. Thank god I missed it. 6 competitive games out of 10 we have failed to score in. Hope we win next week but at the moment the results don’t lie. We are even worse than last season. Murphy needs to get us winning again and fast. 

No chance are we worse than last season.