🔵🟡Scotland v Poland 🔴⚪

So it's live on STV Player. Hope I can cast that to the telly as some of the free streaming services prove stubborn on our dated equipment. (Start work early on Friday, hence I didn't get tickets for it).

The call-offs concern me. Need to build up a bandwagon again.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Doak's our latest potential golden boy - the talented teenager who occasionally appears and could, maybe, possible, perhaps, if everything goes perfectly, become a genuinely top-class Scottish player in an attacking role (see Mark Burchill and Islam Feruz). We don't really do this with players in any other position. We're so desperate to have that kind of player, we want them playing for Scotland as soon as they make their debut for their club's first team (or even before).

It betrays our feelings about our attacking options over the past 25+ years - even though the new boy has barely played a senior game of football, just having the spark of talent should make him a better option than anyone we're currently using. It's a lot of pressure to put on a kid who, if experience has taught us anything, is more likely to end up with a career at clubs like Middlesbrough than Liverpool, and it's pretty unfair on the guys who try their best for us. It's not their fault that reality keeps refusing to meet our expectations.

If there are some lads at the SFA who are tasked with player development, they should really be trying to encourage Scottish clubs to develop forwards. We are clearly f**king brutal at it. 

Until then it’s either call up Simon Murray or that lad from Dundee who just went to Celtic or play some young guy, with no experience, who plays for a big English club, like Doak.

12 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

So it's live on STV Player. Hope I can cast that to the telly as some of the free streaming services prove stubborn on our dated equipment.

It’s also on ITV4, which is free on all platforms (albeit not in HD on Freeview). 

57 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

So it's live on STV Player. Hope I can cast that to the telly as some of the free streaming services prove stubborn on our dated equipment. (Start work early on Friday, hence I didn't get tickets for it).

The call-offs concern me. Need to build up a bandwagon again.

These call-offs need to be countered more aggressively. Forrest in particular was happy enough being felated by the Scottish media for 500 Celtic appearances but didn't have to field one question regarding turning his back on his country for no good reason. 

20 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

These call-offs need to be countered more aggressively. Forrest in particular was happy enough being felated by the Scottish media for 500 Celtic appearances but didn't have to field one question regarding turning his back on his country for no good reason. 

What is it you think will be gained by quizzing him in the media?

He will say he's injured, it's impossible to prove otherwise 

7 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

What is it you think will be gained by quizzing him in the media?

He will say he's injured, it's impossible to prove otherwise 

Just hassle the guy until he either retires full time from international football or thinks twice before about pissing his country about again.

Edited by kennie makevin

A small bit on how Poland played during Euro-2024. Doesn't mean that's how they'll play against us of course.

We watched Poland’s performances in the summer. They defend well, they have a strong defence. They are also very positive when they go forward. They attack with two wing-backs and have two strikers, if they play the same system with two attacking midfielders. They can be quite open at times. I expect an open game.

Steve Clarke

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/13481179/steve-clarke-isnt-worried-scotland-call-offs-che-adams/

8 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The team selection will depend in part on Poland. I don't think you can just look at it from a purely Scotland perspective. It's hard to pick a team if you don't know anything about the Polish team, where they can hurt us and so on. That's an important part of the picture that fans don't tend to look at, myself included. 

Too much emphasis is placed on the starting formation in my view. There's flexibility to adjust depending on the situation in-game or later in the game depending on how it's progressing. That said, one or two things make me think we'll start in a back-4, but I'm not 100% on that and it wouldn't be a surprise or a disappointment if we started with a back-3. It's mostly about how the players that get selected perform on the night for me.

On the game itself I see it as a similar challenge to the Hungary game: two even teams, a coin flip kind of game. I don't see Scotland as better than Hungary or Poland. If we play well then we have a good chance of winning, but it wouldn't shock me if we drew or lost. I hope we win of course, more than normal just to get rid of the negativity and irrationality around the team. The only tonic for fans is winning and the onus is on the players to bring the fans along, something Robertson talked about at his press conference.  

Haven't decided whether to attend in person or not yet. See how the weather is tomorrow. 

You should forward this on to the SFA and Steve Clarke, I'm sure they won't have thought about it from the angle of the opposition's strengths and weaknesses. 🤪😜🤪

58 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

According to Clarke, Forrest showed up to the camp, was assessed by the Scotland medical team and then withdrew from the squad. I don't know what else you expect them to do.

4 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

The inclusion of the South American teams was mooted and scrapped nearly three years ago now. This new format is the new way in which they have decided to expand the Nations League. That isn’t particularly relevant to the overarching point we’re making that using the nations league rankings being used in full is clearly the optimal method for deciding World Cup qualifying pots from this edition onward, and that we find it unlikely they would have chosen to scorn this method if all the elite teams were in league A.

As an aside, while it isn’t particularly relevant to the discussion, it is utter nonsense of you to pretend that England’s relegation was “all but sealed” by June 2022. By the end of that window they were bottom but had 6 points left to play for, and were within at least 5 points of every other team in their group going into the last window. It is disingenuous to pretend they were effectively relegated already by then and use it as a central plank of your strawman argument.

The FIFA regulations you just posted clearly show how confederations are now able to use their own systems for deciding their preliminary pots if they want to. You’re right in saying every other confederation will just use the rankings, but nobody was ever arguing with you about this.

The very fact that these changes were added to the FIFA regulations - combined with the new format for the NL making using the rankings effectively impossible - led many to understandably surmise that these changes were added specifically with UEFA in mind to allow them the leeway to use the NL instead of the rankings. If anything, getting served this daft halfway house (which really makes the draw no easier) is surprising instead. 

What we are saying is that it is exceedingly unlikely this is the method they would have chosen had all the elite teams been in league A is it is more complicated and less fair than the method of using the NL rankings, which we have established both from the FIFA regulations and the news yesterday that they are allowed to use.

Feel free to ignore all this if it makes you feel like you won an internet argument, though.

The announcement about the South American teams was nearly 3 years ago, I don't think I was claiming otherwise, I gave the exact date in my post. How long ago it was isn't the relevant part, the gap between it being announced and England being relegated to League B is what is relevant, since the argument being made by you and the Master revolves around the assumption that this Nations League format was designed BEFORE England's relegation (since otherwise, the fact they were in League B would already have been known).

You are right to say that England weren't guaranteed to be relegated in June 2022, but it looked very likely. The other two teams likely to be relegated from the group at that point were Germany and Italy, who are also clearly elite nations - the only "non-elite" team were Hungary, who topped the group. So to any observer looking in at that stage, it was pretty clear that an elite team would be relegated. Incidentally, France were also bottom of their group at this stage, albeit with more chance of survival than England. So again, I find it unlikely that UEFA would not have been expecting an elite team to be in League B as of June 2022.

Your reading of those FIFA regulations is clearly very different from mine. It explicitly states that the World Rankings should be the predominant method used for seeding, and that any variation at all requires FIFA's permission. It is therefore not at all clear that FIFA would agree to an approach which completely ignores World Rankings, which is the central point of your argument. You have also overlooked the point I made about these regulations (created June 2023) not even existing at the stage where the new Nations League format was released (January 2023) - in the absence of any other information, you'd therefore be expecting the qualifying rules to be the same at this stage.

I can absolutely imagine UEFA lobbying to use the Nations League rankings for seedings (as they also did for the 2022 World Cup), and I can imagine this clause being inserted partly as a result of this lobbying, but there will also be a reason why FIFA have still insisted on their rankings as being the predominant factor in seeding. There will be a big difference in FIFA's eyes from an system which is almost entirely based on World Rankings but deviates slightly for operational reasons (ie this proposed approach) and one which completely abandons World Rankings (the approach which a handful of bloggers speculated about and you seem to have taken as gospel).

Don’t know if I’m oversimplifying (and there’s probably a good reason why), but if the purpose of this latest announcement is to ensure that all the top teams are in pot one, wouldn’t it have been easier just to use the FIFA world rankings full stop? 

On 04/09/2024 at 11:22, Richey Edwards said:

Game is being broadcast on the television. 

Unfortunately I have a jam-tasting event tomorrow so will be unable to watch it.

You could make more money auctioning dogs.