Portugal v Scotland

JS_FFC

10 hours ago, Cheese said:

Back to a proper 4-4-2 for me, none of your woke nonsense please. And get some players in that actually want to play for the Jersey.

3-0 Scotland 

Screenshot_20240905-234958_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.e36528b6487af08ba8ae29366d495c91.jpg

Would be a big step up for Krankie to go from playing Primary School to international football but I reckon he's ready for it. Give him an hour and take him off if he tires. 

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

On the flip side, if he plays the proven guys and we get a hiding then the same will be asked.

Also 'proven' in what way now? 2yrs ago this team were flying but like everything it needs tweaks and changes to keep it fresh, Clarke is persisting with the same players who are now 'proven' not to be playing well. His loyalty is becoming a weakness when it really used to be a strength.

The "proven" players in the sense that the guys who have been fixtures in the squad for years, and generally performed, who seem to be guaranteed a start regardless of anything else. John McGinn being a prime example. I'll admit that I never rated him as highly as some, and I thought I was proven correct because his first 10-15 Scotland caps he looked like a heidless chicken completely out of his depth. I'm happy that he's proven me wrong over a period of years, however, he's been consistently stinking for a while, a period that coincides with our drop in form and results, yet I can't see Clarke sending out any starting 11 for the foreseeable that doesn't include him.

I'm not in any way taking a side over whether there is a 100% correct and 100% wrong way to approach this match, but I do think that if, for argument's sake, Clarke drops McGinn and starts Gauld or someone else, and we then take a pumping, it's inevitable there will be folk furious about the fact McGinn was left out for the "unproven" Gauld. I suppose that's just the nature of football fandom, but the point I'm getting at is that I suspect it's likely we might get a doing on Sunday, and I think the players with already established credentials are better placed to absorb the effects of that rather than a bunch of guys with 1 or 2 caps.

2 hours ago, Moonboot said:

Would be a big step up for Krankie to go from playing Primary School to international football but I reckon he's ready for it. Give him an hour and take him off if he tires. 

b*****d is over-rated.

15 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

No chance of any points here so I’d rather they smash us hard enough to bring an end to Steve Clarke’s reign tbh 

Team wise:

Gunn

Johnston-Porteous-McKenna-Robertson

McTominay-Gilmour-McGinn

Doak-Dykes-Gauld

Would pretty much go for that, except for Dykes. As an average English league 1 striker now, he's done. There has to be some standard. I think shankland has offered more when he's played. Morgan our only other consistent goalscorer for club.

With the season just beginning, and some players not being up to it yet. I'd have seen gauld and Morgan as starting for now. Into mid season and at peak of their form in north America.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

The "proven" players in the sense that the guys who have been fixtures in the squad for years, and generally performed, who seem to be guaranteed a start regardless of anything else. John McGinn being a prime example. I'll admit that I never rated him as highly as some, and I thought I was proven correct because his first 10-15 Scotland caps he looked like a heidless chicken completely out of his depth. I'm happy that he's proven me wrong over a period of years, however, he's been consistently stinking for a while, a period that coincides with our drop in form and results, yet I can't see Clarke sending out any starting 11 for the foreseeable that doesn't include him.

Much as a number of folk seem to have forgotten that mid-period Grant Hanley was pretty good and reliable for Scotland, I'd totally discarded early McGinn from the memory banks. I'm sure there was a bit of surprise when he started with the talismanic performances.

For anyone heading to Lisbon with short connection times just a heads up.

The KLM Edinburgh - Amsterdam flight today was delayed and they did not hold the Lisbon one back.

Some got on a later flight but others have to spend a night in the Dam (hotel paid for) and a 7am flight tomorrow.

So not much of a night out tonight!

16 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

The game went to pieces after 70 mins because of substitution stoppages and the refs shitey eBay earbuds.

The three subs didn't break us - arguably they bought us our second goal. Bringing Gilmour off after that  however, did destabilise our control in the middle of the park.

Would argue bringing Shankland on for Dykes was a big mistake and helped turned the game in Poland's favour, we basically had a traffic cone trying to hold the ball up front at that point. 

38 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Would argue bringing Shankland on for Dykes was a big mistake and helped turned the game in Poland's favour, we basically had a traffic cone trying to hold the ball up front at that point. 

Has Shankland done anything of note for Scotland? If I remember correctly he added one in a drubbing of San Marino, a late equaliser in a dead rubber in Tbilisi and scored against Finland in a friendly a few months ago. That's it.

It should always be one of Dykes or Adams playing. If we need a goal in the last 10-15 minutes then chuck Shankland on for his penalty box finishing but that should be in a 4-4-2 rather than as a lone striker.

11 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Has Shankland done anything of note for Scotland? If I remember correctly he added one in a drubbing of San Marino, a late equaliser in a dead rubber in Tbilisi and scored against Finland in a friendly a few months ago. That's it.

It should always be one of Dykes or Adams playing. If we need a goal in the last 10-15 minutes then chuck Shankland on for his penalty box finishing but that should be in a 4-4-2 rather than as a lone striker.

Not particularly, he just isn't good enough for this level and it clearly shows.

In this team, the striker is often isolated and it is a thankless task just trying to get the ball but when they do the have to make an impact to bring our midfield into play. I'm not Dykes biggest fans but he has been very good at winning aerial balls, holding the ball up to link with teammates etc. It doesn't always work out as he has technical limitations but he does get onto balls more often than not to help us get up the pitch. 

I think the reason for Clarke bringing on Shankland instead of Conway is that he is more in the mould of a Dykes who we can use as a target man type but he is even more technically worse than Dykes, we were struggling to keep the ball whenever it came near him. 

Bin the 4 at the back. Last time we were able to play with a duo was when we had Gough and McPherson.

Ralston should never play for Scotland squad. He is a constant liability and bombscare.

He was our worst player at the Euros. Last night was enough. His assist doesn't paper over the cracks.

Hanley should never for for Scotland again. It's clear that did brain and body aren't aligned anymore. His body is 5 seconds behind his brain.

McLean should never play for Scotland again. His hospital pass to Gilmour was suicidal.

We need to find an alternative to Gunn. His father was miles better than he is.

We aren't beating Portugal, so the moaners should begin crying and yelling "X games without a win" early. 😛