Queen's Vs' Smokie's

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think Gallagher deserves a chance 

Tough fixture today - not a great result - on to next 

Is there a reason why Gallagher wasn't starting? Was far more concerned when he came on than I was with Reilly starting. 

Reilly was a great servant for us but he's in no way a clinical striker. 

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Is there a reason why Gallagher wasn't starting? Was far more concerned when he came on than I was with Reilly starting. 

Reilly was a great servant for us but he's in no way a clinical striker. 

Fitness I think, but not really had a run in the team so not his fault 

We made heavy work of that today and Arbroath will be ruing some big misses. 

The change to 4-4-2 at HT made a difference - getting two players working as a partnership up top and deploying Dickensen where he can hurt the opposition makes better use of our key man. The downside today was that I didn't think we were very secure at the back - conceding several really big chances in both halves and generally riding our luck to only concede the one goal.

That said, some very good individual performances - Lyon, Dickensen, Kennedy had their best games for us and O'Donnell was excellent - moving the ball about confidently and showing great technical ability ,taking the ball in tight areas and generally looking like a young player with huge potential.

We got 5 out of our 6 key players on the pitch at the same time which made a huge difference - only Brydon missing from that list. If Kennedy keeps playing like that he will also become a huge player for us.

Clearly, a very good win and yet another at home. Interesting to see if we can build on this starting at Stenny next week?

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Unlike last week where no one got pass marks, I don't think there were any failures today. 

Largely agree. I’m still unsure of McIntosh and thought Hannah had a tough time of it, but credit to him he didn’t shy away and dug in.

15 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The change to 4-4-2 at HT made a difference - getting two players working as a partnership up top and deploying Dickensen where he can hurt the opposition makes better use of our key man. 

I didn't think the shape had changed in the second half. I thought Dickenson just swapped with Benji. The former doing a better job at getting up to support McIntosh and perhaps being told to stay further up rather than having to drop back. 

13 minutes ago, rubber_duck said:

Largely agree. I’m still unsure of McIntosh and thought Hannah had a tough time of it, but credit to him he didn’t shy away and dug in.

Aye that's fair. Hannah was very shaky in the first half (as were Dickenson and Douglas) but I thought he came into a game in the second half and was far better. McIntosh isn't going to score a barrow-load but he looks like he could be useful if used properly. I just don't think he's capable of the lone striker role and needs either quicker support or a strike partner. Thought he put himself around well though. My biggest complaint was his decision to be selfish rather than feed the ball through to Kennedy. 

Curate’s egg of a performance today, good in parts, thing we looked uncharacteristically sloppy in defence at times. We started the game really well, and deservedly went 1-0 up with another good goal from the increasingly prolific McKechnie (who played well overall today I thought). We rather let Arbroath back into things, and as their fans have noted, in addition to scoring, they missed a couple of sitters and could have been 3-1 up at the interval, though we had chances too. 

As 19QOS19 has said, we looked much improved in the second half when we moved Dickenson further forward. He’s wasted in defence, but has a real presence going forward - strong and with a powerful shot, he caused the Arbroath defence problems they hadn’t encountered in the first half. He should really have made it 3-1 towards the end of the game, just curling his effort past the post when well placed. Thought Kennedy had a better game today, he looked dangerous at times. O’Donnell did well and Lyon was quality as ever.

Only real negative, other than a few shaky moments in defence (Brydon is a big miss there), for me at least, was McIntosh. I’ve yet to be convinced by him, and he was anonymous once again. He seems to have the knack of being not quite in the right place at the right time, and for a fairly big guy, wins very little in the air. I was ready to revise my assessment when he had one nice run into the box and (blocked) shot from a wide position towards the end of the first half, but the second half breakaway, where he and Kennedy were 2 on 1 (and instead of playing Kennedy in with a simple pass), he elected to take it on himself and lose possession, really frustrated me. I hope McIntosh improves, but he’s not even looked like testing the keeper let alone scoring in the games I’ve seen him play so far. I’m not sure we’re any closer to solving our goal-scoring problems, as we seem to have 2 or 3 ‘strikers’ on our books who don’t score, so that continues to be an area of weakness (though hopefully Bryden might be the solution?) 

We deserved to win, but the last 10 minutes or so were very nervy, after O’Donnell went off and we brought on Johnstone (with Lussint already withdrawn and the versatile Dickenson playing even further forward in the closing stages), Arbroath started to take control in midfield and I feared that a late equaliser was almost inevitable. Hugely relieved that it never came.

Still, given our abject home form for what seems like forever, three league wins in a row at Palmerston is unimaginably heady stuff. Without really clicking in the league so far, and with a debilitating (but hopefully easing) injury list, the fact that we’re lying second in the table, just out of top spot on goals scored, is a great position to be in. We just need to start to score a few goals away from home. Definitely feel like there is plenty of headroom for improvement from this squad.

Edited by Frankie S

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Top apostrophe work all.

Keep it going.

Jus't need to hope that Greenacre's remember's to do the neces'sary when pos'ting the S'tenny match thread ...

On 14/09/2024 at 16:07, Artemis said:

Has there been any word on how long Bryden might be out for? He played for about 10 minutes as a sub the day after signing three weeks ago and I’ve not seen any mention of him since.

Bryden is a strange one according to the Courier he is back at Ayr getting treatment and failed a fitness test for Saturday .

Been no mention  of what the injury is or how long he will be out for.

Jack Brydon is supposed to have a minor hamstring injury  we really miss him at the back but I suppose you don't want to rush him back Hannah has done a decent job but lacks experience .

4 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Bryden is a strange one according to the Courier he is back at Ayr getting treatment and failed a fitness test for Saturday .

Been no mention  of what the injury is or how long he will be out for.

Jack Brydon is supposed to have a minor hamstring injury  we really miss him at the back but I suppose you don't want to rush him back Hannah has done a decent job but lacks experience .

Spoke to courier reporter in Tesco today, he said Bryden is a thigh injury just like wee Zander. 

21 hours ago, TheRoundO said:

We create so many stramashes in the opposition box.  It's time we scored from one - ore even won a penalty.

That’s a stinker from Stewart and with Reillys that’s becoming a pattering of them type of chances