Squad face October game

If Adams is fit, he starts. Ferguson and Patterson are apparently making good progress but this looks too soon, and Hickey is long-term knackered, so it'll be Anthony Ralston at right back again. Tierney might be fit but it doesn't look like he'll get any game time before then anyway. Dunno about Hendry.

The younger players need game time but starting them against Portugal or in Zagreb is a risk with no right answers.

We have what we have.

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

If Adams is fit, he starts. Ferguson and Patterson are apparently making good progress but this looks too soon, and Hickey is long-term knackered, so it'll be Anthony Ralston at right back again. Tierney might be fit but it doesn't look like he'll get any game time before then anyway. Dunno about Hendry.

The younger players need game time but starting them against Portugal or in Zagreb is a risk with no right answers.

We have what we have.

What is wrong with Hickey? that's a serious amount of time out now.

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

We have what we have.

Have people just not been watching our games for the last two years? Or even the last 6 months?

Adams won't start unless Dykes isn't fit. Ferguson's still miles away, he's not playing again in 2024. Neither is Hickey. No idea where Patterson's at but given the game's 4 weeks away and he's not been seen for Everton I assume he's unlikely. Hendry was quoted as being out for 8 weeks ahead of last week's camp so presume he's not going to make the October break either. Tierney apparently looking at late October for a return but he's unlikely to be in Arsenal's league squad so will only be able to play cup ties and Champions League until January.

It seems unlikely we'll get any new caps for the next window given the number of new faces in this last one. Barring a few injuries anyway. I suppose the likes of Armstrong may return. Maybe even Liam Cooper if he's playing for CSKA although we're probably needing to start the phase out with him anyway.

3 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

Didn't know it was a new injury. Thought he was just taking forever on the last one.

It was discussed on here about two weeks ago before the squad announcement for the last window although it got brushed past quicker than it probably should have given the importance. He's going to end up being out 18 months with a hamstring!

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It seems unlikely we'll get any new caps for the next window given the number of new faces in this last one. Barring a few injuries anyway. I suppose the likes of Armstrong may return. Maybe even Liam Cooper if he's playing for CSKA although we're probably needing to start the phase out with him anyway.

Well I've learned something new today

7 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Well I've learned something new today

To be fair, so did I. I googled to see if he'd signed for Hull yet to mention alongside Armstrong and found him being announced at CSKA! Didn't see that one coming.

EDITED to add - His announcement video is quite amusing.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

47 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Have people just not been watching our games for the last two years? Or even the last 6 months?

Adams won't start unless Dykes isn't fit. Ferguson's still miles away, he's not playing again in 2024. Neither is Hickey. No idea where Patterson's at but given the game's 4 weeks away and he's not been seen for Everton I assume he's unlikely. Hendry was quoted as being out for 8 weeks ahead of last week's camp so presume he's not going to make the October break either. Tierney apparently looking at late October for a return but he's unlikely to be in Arsenal's league squad so will only be able to play cup ties and Champions League until January.

Adams has more often than not been our first choice when he and Dykes are fit. He started ahead of Dykes at home against Cyprus before getting injured, and away against Cyprus too. He started all of our games in the last Nations League except Ireland at home. Dykes started against Spain but Adams had started against England a few days before. It's not obvious because they've rarely been fit at the same time in the past couple of years.

Adams is clearly in better form and nobody is picking a guy in the English third tier over someone scoring in Serie A without good reason. 

You're wrong about Lewis Ferguson, there was an injury update on him recently, apparently he's well ahead of schedule. He's back in training. Patterson is making decent progress too. I didn't just make these up, this is all public. And I said it looks too soon for both so I don't know why you're making a thing about it. You're also saying the same as me about Tierney.

Stuart Armstrong has played 6 minutes since April. Vancouver Whitecaps have a few games between now and the next internationals so we'll need to wait and see.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

Adams has more often than not been our first choice when he and Dykes are fit. He started ahead of Dykes at home against Cyprus before getting injured, and away against Cyprus too. He started all of our games in the last Nations League except Ireland at home. Dykes started against Spain but Adams had started against England a few days before. It's not obvious because they've rarely been fit at the same time in the past couple of years.

Adams is clearly in better form and nobody is picking a guy in the English third tier over someone scoring in Serie A without good reason. 

This is just not true. I'm astonished there are still people out there think Adams should be or will be picked over Dykes when it matters. He's been preferred to Dykes thrice in about three years, those two Cyprus games and the 0-0 in Poland v Ukraine. Dykes missed about four months with pneumonia and had a part of his liver removed when Adams got that run of games before that. Clarke has consistently preferred Dykes for the big games and will continue to do so given their relative recent performances for Scotland. Dykes form in a Scotland shirt is miles better than Adams. And its a bit early to be claiming he's scoring in Serie A too. He's got 1 goal in 3 appearances. 

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is just not true. I'm astonished there are still people out there think Adams should be or will be picked over Dykes when it matters. He's been preferred to Dykes thrice in about three years, those two Cyprus games and the 0-0 in Poland v Ukraine. Dykes missed about four months with pneumonia and had a part of his liver removed when Adams got that run of games before that. Clarke has consistently preferred Dykes for the big games and will continue to do so given their relative recent performances for Scotland. Dykes form in a Scotland shirt is miles better than Adams. And its a bit early to be claiming he's scoring in Serie A too. He's got 1 goal in 3 appearances. 

Anyone who has seen the last two games compared to the Euros can see why Dykes should be first choice. Hopefully we carry on with the back 4, maybe Adams can play off Dykes.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be fair, so did I. I googled to see if he'd signed for Hull yet to mention alongside Armstrong and found him being announced at CSKA! Didn't see that one coming.

EDITED to add - His announcement video is quite amusing.

Yep, pretty ridiculous 😆

Edited by Gordopolis

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Regardless of who should play now up front, I think your point about Dykes being preferred over Adams is wrong.  I'm sure I looked it up pre Euros when we had same debate and at that point it was the opposite from what you were saying and that Adams had started almost every game he had been available under Clarke (often ahead of Dykes)

Because you are related to Dykes you are always going to have his back and that's fair enough, but I get the feeling if he had signed for Solihull Moors in the National League, you would still be advocating for his inclusion to the national team.

It depends on who we play and the system we are playing, but personally I feel Adams adds more to our team than Dykes does (more often than not). 

But in all honesty, neither are good enough. Club wise, Adams has a small chance of an upwards career trajectory from here on, Dykes does not. There is that too.

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Regardless of who should play now up front, I think your point about Dykes being preferred over Adams is wrong.  I'm sure I looked it up pre Euros when we had same debate and at that point it was the opposite from what you were saying and that Adams had started almost every game he had been available under Clarke (often ahead of Dykes)

Because you are related to Dykes you are always going to have his back and that's fair enough, but I get the feeling if he had signed for Solihull Moors in the National League, you would still be advocating for his inclusion to the national team.

It depends on who we play and the system we are playing, but personally I feel Adams adds more to our team than Dykes does (more often than not). 

But in all honesty, neither are good enough. Club wise, Adams has a small chance of an upwards career trajectory from here on, Dykes does not. There is that too.

You skewed some stats to suit your argument back then and failed to respond to both myself and @craigkillie challenging you on your flawed conclusion. it was a long way from proving anything.

They have been available at the same time surprisingly few times in the last 3 years but there's no real evidence of Adams being selected more often than Dykes when they are. There is plenty of evidence that Dykes has done better in a Scotland shirt though. Adams hasnt had a good game for Scotland since Denmark. That's a fact. That people still think he should be first choice is bizarre.

In a perfect world of course we'd have a better forward than either of them. You're just being daft about Solihull. You're better than that.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

10 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I agree with SD’s point but it’s funny how offended he appears to be when anyone dares suggest Dykes might not start a game.

Aye. It's hard to take his discussion around Dykes seriously, even if he's correct, because you know there's a heavy bias driving his thoughts.