Week 2

lichtie23

9 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Workmate was there a few years back for the Dolphins season opener against the Ravens, said the stadium was superb.

Unlike the Dolphins who lost by nearly 50 points iirc. 

Have been to a fair few NFL stadiums - Mile High, MetLife, University of Phoenix, Lumen Field, FedEx Field, Louisiana Superdome, GerryWorld, the old Cowboys stadium, and the old Georgia Dome. Mile High is brilliant, and walkable from downtown Denver. None of them, in my opinion, are as good as Spurs new gaff’. That knocked my socks off.

Similar to the way late-Victorian/Edwardian era football stadia are thought of fondly, I will always have a wee bit of a soft-spot for some of the old NFL stadia, but in terms of comfort and gameday experience the new places are a world apart.

Back in the early 90's me and a few mates did two of those NFL package things that were popular at the time. You'd go over there for 10-14 days and pack in 4 or 5 games in different cities, then fly back. The first time around, we saw the Bills up in Rich Stadium and it was frighteningly cold, then a week later sat getting f**king sunstroke in the old Sombrero in Tampa because there was literally no shade at all in 3/4's of the stadium and in order to stay hydrated you'd have spent the entire time plodding up and down stairs to get to the concessions. Jack Murphy Stadium used to stink of stale piss, and in the Oakland Coliseum you could reach down to your feet and pull away huge handfuls of crumbling concrete. The place was quite literally falling apart.

33 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Great player, but they overpaid. I think you can get away with that though if you are a stacked team and can't really improve all that much by using 3rd and 4th rounders in the draft.

And get multiple 3rd round compensation picks for your coaches being lured away. 

And find a franchise QB with the very last pick. Miami will be starting a 7th round pick from that draft next week and he absolutely sucks ass.

There can't be many teams with a genuinely capable back-up these days though. At least, not ones with a 50 million a year starting QB on the books.

Chargers were planning on going with Easton Stick at #2, but he was awful in December last year, awful in training camp, awful in preseason, and really left them no option but to go and find somebody, hence the trade for Heinicke.

Dolphins reddit is interesting reading, because the consensus seems to be that even if Tua never returns, Tannehill would get killed behind the OL, so the only option left is to suck, tank, and draft a QB, which seems quite drastic when it's week 2 and arguably the Division title is as winnable as it has been for years. Trade for Jameis or something. I think that would actually be fun watching him lob bombs/INTS on every dropback.

1 hour ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Does seem bonkers that year upon year, Dolphins make no effort to improve their OLine.

When your QB has a history of concessions. 

It doesn't really make any sense from any perspective, but then the Dolphins have been doing strange things for years.

There is a bit of speculation that there is the possibility Tua's contract has provisions in it that mean Miami is off the hook for the guarantees should he have to retire on medical grounds. Now I don't really believe that, but even if it is the case and Miami thought "to hell with it", and that they could throw Tua to the wolves because they are covered in the event it didn't work out, and spend Cap money on other parts of the team, it's still a bit stupid because any other QB, or any guy they draft is just going to have to play behind the same deficient OL.

I've said a few times on here that after 2022 I thought it was an inevitability Tua would be facing a difficult decision sooner rather than later, and for that reason if I'm in control of the Dolphins I wouldn't have been offering him a long-term, big money deal, so perhaps there is a bit of arse-coverage, and in the event he decides to walk away he can also re-negotiate the deal down to virtually nothing before he retires as a favour to the Org. It's possible that is actually a pre-existing agreement written into the contract, but for obvious reasons that would never be disclosed until it became pertinent. 

It would be great to see Tua back healthy and playing, but at the same time you'd have to question if that was really the wisest decision under the circumstances, and what's known about multiple, repeated concussions. Probably worth pointing out though, that what got him hurt on Thursday wasn't an OL failing, but his own baffling decision not to slide but to go head-first into a collision instead.

Edited by Boo Khaki

7 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Does seem bonkers that year upon year, Dolphins make no effort to improve their OLine.

When your QB has a history of concessions. 

Pretty much everyone other than GM Chris Grier has been banging on for years, eg baffling things like drafting CB Cam Smith in 2nd round last year who can’t get near the field. He also sucks at OL evaluation and loves an injury prone player. Wheeling out really bad 2nd and 3rd stringers in week 2 because your barely capable starting guys are already broken isn’t a good look.

I was very bleak about it on Friday but now not so sure Tua quits. He’ll go through the protocols and is meeting neurologists this week. He has had 3 concussions in prime time games - the horrible 22 Cinci one, this slightly less horrible one (at least he walked off the field) and the GB Christmas Day 2022 one which was post game evaluation after he inexplicably turned to shit and started throwing picks in the 2nd half. He had one when he smashed his hip at Bama. There is also the Buffalo incident where he passed all the protocols. As a counterpoint Derek Carr had 3 concussions last year alone but no-one is telling him to quit.

Tua has always been prone to hero ball, which resulted in his hip and the Cinci one. He dialled it back and looked after himself last year but who knows what he was thinking on Thursday. As much as people like to slag him (and the 3rd interception doesn’t help the narrative) he is really good but has never played well on primetime for some reason. I have literally watched every starting snap he has taken for the Dolphins and he is prone to the odd terrible lapse but eg the first 2 picks on Thursday were 100% on the receivers screwing up.

I read something like £150M of Tua’s salary Is guaranteed. The Dolphins would get £50M back on insurance if he quits but presumably that would be voided if he plays again, depending on medical evaluation.  

Skyler Thompson is pretty bad but you’d hope to get through the next 3 games before the bye  - there is still a lot of talent on the team and maybe the D can shut down Geno, Levis, the Pats and then you’ve got the Cards and Colts before the Bills so I think talk of tanking is reactionary as it is a reasonable run of games. They are looking for a QB so it’ll be interesting to see who. 

Waddle, Hill, Achane and Mostert should give anyone a fighting chance tbh. We keep getting killed by stupid OL penalties though with big chunk runs on 1st down being called back. It’s bad enough even with Tua in the game but constant 2 / 3rd and long becomes impossible with Skyler. We shall see but definitely not time to burn down the house yet.

Bit of a trap game in Charlotte. Teams who get utterly spanked tend to play a lot tougher the next week. Still, it's the Bryce Young Panthers and LAC shouldn't really be having any problems with them, but I can see this being much closer than the analyst predictions. 24-14 or something.

I think Ladd McConkey will lead the Chargers in receptions this season.

Josh Palmer isn't a #1 and has already vanished without Allen and Williams on the field, and although this staff look like they have a better idea how to use Quentin Johnston, he's obviously limited and more of a gimmick, whereas McConkey looks the type who will just soak up 10-15 short targets every single game.