S'tenhous'emuir v Queen's'

Last time I went to Ochilview big Jimmy Thomson got his cheek bone broken in a head clash. IIRC it was a 0-0 draw and a dreadful game at that. Hopefully better fare this time ... especially now we've got the apostrophes sorted ... 😎

18 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

... The last time the teams shared a division was the 2012/13 season, where the Doonhamers leathered everything they faced (although the Warriors were one of the few sides to beat them, albeit at the fag end of the campaign when the title was wrapped up)...

Good post that. 👍

Oh, for that QOS side again - thanks for the reminder @Francesc Fabregas! Think Nicky Clark banged in 40 goals that season ... if only. And of course we had the majestic and sadly missed Chris Mitchell outstanding at FB.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Last time I went to Ochilview big Jimmy Thomson got his cheek bone broken in a head clash. IIRC it was a 0-0 draw and a dreadful game at that. Hopefully better fare this time ... especially now we've got the apostrophes sorted ... 😎

Ian Ferguson? Can remember being at an away game against Stenny and him getting pelters from ours fans. From what I recall at the time of said pelters and asking why it was happening, the feeling among them was that the broken jaw wasn't exactly an accident. 

(I was a lot younger and never witnessed the incident so no idea if that was an accurate take). 

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ian Ferguson? Can remember being at an away game against Stenny and him getting pelters from ours fans. From what I recall at the time of said pelters and asking why it was happening, the feeling among them was that the broken jaw wasn't exactly an accident. 

(I was a lot younger and never witnessed the incident so no idea if that was an accurate take). 

I'm struggling to remember the detail now.  Just recall the clash, thought it was a clash of heads (big JT never backed out of any head contact did he) but I could be wrong, and the game being stopped for quite some time as he was treated by the medical team and was taken from the pitch.  Sure someone will recall more than me.

35 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

We cannot be getting beat by a team managed by Gary Naysmith. 

Course we can ... we are QOS after all, it's what we do.

Plus, being an ex-manager who was seen to fail at Palmerston, he'll want to get one over us.  That said, I'm starting to tentatively build a bit of belief in this squad (and we've got the apostrophes in early after all) ... there, I've gone and said it ... fate well and duly tempted.  MT will be along at 5 pm on Saturday to remind me of this post.

15 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm struggling to remember the detail now.  Just recall the clash, thought it was a clash of heads (big JT never backed out of any head contact did he) but I could be wrong, and the game being stopped for quite some time as he was treated by the medical team and was taken from the pitch.  Sure someone will recall more than me.

I had forgotten it until you mentioned it but have hazy memories of the whole thing. It was definitely Ferguson. I can't recall if it was a head clash or an elbow but I do remember a bit of controversy and accusations it had been deliberate. I can't recall the detail though. Must have been the 01/02 title winning season.

We've played at Ochilview at least 5 times since then. We've won on 5 of our last 6 visits to Stenhousemuir. The exception is the one @Francesc Fabregas mentions when, on 16th April 2013, we lost 2-1 there after the League had already been clinched. We gave starts to young Steven Black and Pat Slattery that night but it was otherwise a strong side, albeit one playing for nothing other than a record points total. To be fair, we clinched the title that season in March on a pitch cleared of snow before we played (and would have done so earlier if Brechin could have got their pitch playable earlier and didn't have so many games in hand). We still kept battering most sides. Stenny's achievement in being only the 2nd side to beat us that season shouldn't be dismissed, and the only one to do so without a highly controversial penalty kick.

That 2nd division Championship season is the only time we've shared a division since 2002 until now. The other three games were two League Cup ties and a Challenge Cup one in 2018. We fielded a shadow side that night too under one G Naysmith with Declan Tremble making his only start for the club for instance whilst youngsters Owen Bell and Jack Leighfield made early career appearances too but threw on Stephen Dobbie and Gary Harkins as second half subs to make sure we actually won it, Dobbie and Lyndon Dykes combining for all three goals in a 3-0 win.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I had forgotten it until you mentioned it but have hazy memories of the whole thing. It was definitely Ferguson. I can't recall if it was a head clash or an elbow but I do remember a bit of controversy and accusations it had been deliberate. I can't recall the detail though. Must have been either the 00/01 season or the 01/02 title winning one that followed.

We've played at Ochilview at least 5 times since then. We've won on 5 of our last 6 visits to Stenhousemuir. The exception is the one @Francesc Fabregas mentions when, on 16th April 2013, we lost 2-1 there after the League had already been clinched. We gave starts to young Steven Black and Pat Slattery that night but it was otherwise a strong side, albeit one playing for nothing other than a record points total. To be fair, we clinched the title that season in March on a pitch cleared of snow before we played (and would have done so earlier if Brechin could have got their pitch playable earlier and didn't have so many games in hand). We still kept battering most sides. Stenny's achievement in being only the 2nd side to beat us that season shouldn't be dismissed, and the only one to do so without a highly controversial penalty kick.

That 2nd division Championship season is the only time we've shared a division since 2002 until now. The other three games were two League Cup ties and a Challenge Cup one in 2018. We fielded a shadow side that night too under one G Naysmith with Declan Tremble making his only start for the club for instance whilst youngsters Owen Bell and Jack Leighfield made early career appearances too but threw on Stephen Dobbie and Gary Harkins as second half subs to make sure we actually won it, Dobbie and Lyndon Dykes combining for all three goals in a 3-0 win.

Cheers SD.  We can only dream now of throwing on the likes of Dobbie and Harkins to bolster a front line with Dykes already in it ... happy daze ...

16 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Last time I went to Ochilview big Jimmy Thomson got his cheek bone broken in a head clash.

He was a very good player when he played for the Warriors.  Rumour has it Terry Christie heard he was applying for the police and decided to get rid of him.

Met him a few years ago when he was in a bar/restaurant called Plonkers in York.

On 17/09/2024 at 08:37, Hard Graft said:

He was a very good player when he played for the Warriors.  Rumour has it Terry Christie heard he was applying for the police and decided to get rid of him.

Met him a few years ago when he was in a bar/restaurant called Plonkers in York.

Always fondly remembered at Palmerston for that equalising goal (coming back from 0-2 down) in the Cup Final v R*ng*rs in 2008 ...

QosFC: Club History

Edited by Otis Blue

I was at the game in the championship season where we lost 2-1, we only lost 2 games all season and I was at that one!

We were about 25 points clear and had won the thing weeks before, but I was miffed at the time….

From what I recall, it felt like a friendly but Stennie deserved their win, it wasn’t two breakaway goals.