Dumbarton vs Montrose

Outcome   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/09/24 at 14:00

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

We really need to turn the performances into wins or the questions we asked 3 years ago in this division will be asked again. 

Quite glad I've never bothered to change my signature.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

I'd love some elaboration on this? I thought he gave a fair amount of soft fouls your way whilst also choosing not to book your players for cynical fouls on 2 or 3 occasions.

There was a shove in the back of a Montrose player shepherding a ball out of play right in front of the lino. There were lots of niggly fouls going unpunished including a trip by one of your players. Okay, I get the fact that there are reasonable levels of physicality and you don't want a stop-start game but I don't like how skill players are taken out by knuckle-draggers when referees adopt too much of a light touch approach. Michael Gardyne was rightly booked for a cynical foul when he looked as if frankly couldn't be arsed chasing after one of your faster players. Of course each team's fans think their team's the one being hard done by. Dumbarton certainly weren't in any way a dirty team but I did feel that a number of fouls against us should have been penalised. At one stage there were about four players in a heap near the centre circle when Dumbarton were on a break. The referee played advantage because he saw the infringement as being Montrose's - a decision I disagreed with. He also gave a number of free kicks to Dumbarton for what looked like very soft fouls.

I thought the ref was a homer but as Christine Keeler or one of the other witnesses in the Profumo case said never: "I would, wouldn't I?"

2 minutes ago, Brummo said:

There was a shove in the back of a Montrose player shepherding a ball out of play right in front of the lino. There were lots of niggly fouls going unpunished including a trip by one of your players. Okay, I get the fact that there are reasonable levels of physicality and you don't want a stop-start game but I don't like how skill players are taken out by knuckle-draggers when referees adopt too much of a light touch approach. Michael Gardyne was rightly booked for a cynical foul when he looked as if frankly couldn't be arsed chasing after one of your faster players. Of course each team's fans think their team's the one being hard done by. Dumbarton certainly weren't in any way a dirty team but I did feel that a number of fouls against us should have been penalised. At one stage there were about four players in a heap near the centre circle when Dumbarton were on a break. The referee played advantage because he saw the infringement as being Montrose's - a decision I disagreed with. He also gave a number of free kicks to Dumbarton for what looked like very soft fouls.

I thought the ref was a homer but as Christine Keeler or one of the other witnesses in the Profumo case said never: "I would, wouldn't I?"

Which skill players in the Montrose side were taken out today? Montrose look like a side of big strong lads, there wasn't much football played and literally only 1 chance created. Who was that absolute pudding you brought on up front in the second half? Genuinely looked like a fan. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Which skill players in the Montrose side were taken out today? Montrose look like a side of big strong lads, there wasn't much football played and literally only 1 chance created. Who was that absolute pudding you brought on up front in the second half? Genuinely looked like a fan. 

How very dare you call Paul Winker Watson a pudding. He is coming back from injury and needing game time. Wash your mouth out with soap if such an item exists where you come from.

In answer to your question, today I would say none. Both Hester and Lyons are often given a hard time but not today. The latter especially was aff it the day and played the poorest I've seen him play for a while. To be fair, your team were quicker to every ball all over the park, which SP attests to in his post match interview.

Edited by Brummo

Aside from the linesman staring right into Ben Maciver-Redwood's soul rather than giving a foul when he was pushed over by Ethan Brown right on the touchline in the first-half, I thought all the officials had a good game today tbh. The game looked to be played in good spirits, and that was helped by a ref who didn't spoil it by trying to create drama, blow his whistle every five minutes or dish out cards apart from when they were totally necessary. 

Angus Azzurri going to Angus Azzurri though. I thought we did almost everything today superbly - with the only issue our failure to take any care with the last touch before sticking the ball in the net. But fair play to Montrose. The defended their box imperiously. It felt like a ridiculously short game - every time I checked my watch 10 minutes had passed and we still hadn't scored, but I've no doubt for the Mo fans it was an age of a second-half. And their clocks felt stuck.

The goal was a superb finish from Hester. A real moment of quality. Aye Brett's positioning wasn't great, aye we should've defended it better. But you have to tip your hat to him for finding the net. We had about 10 chances that were easier to score from than that, and didn't. And that's why they are away home with three points.

Ethan Brown's debut was really promising. He didn't look out place physically, was good on the ball and I was delighted to see him barking out orders and organising stuff at the back. Good going for an 18-year-old.

We need a win. That goes without saying. But if we play like that most weeks then we'll be absolutely fine this season imo. I just hope the players don't let the run without a victory get them too down on confidence. We're playing some good stuff, we have some good players and we've more than matched everyone we've faced this season. Once we get one and get up and running then we'll put together a decent wee run I reckon. My God we need to spend the entire week at training working on finishing mind you.

15 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Funny, I seen that there wasn't in most of the things you mention above. I felt like there were 2 of 3 very similar challenges to Gardyne's booking which should've also been booking, but the ref didn't give them.

I like to think I'm reasonably fair and often disagree when there are shouts from our home fans for things etc. Overall, I thought the ref was slightly better second half. 

What about him stopping play for Williamson (I think) sitting on the ground? The Montrose players refused to kick it out of play and as soon as we intercepted it to break forward he stopped play. Wasn't a bad injury or a head knock, so should have played on?

Nothing he done really changed the result today, though. That was down to our lack of quality in front of goal.

13 minutes ago, Brummo said:

How very dare you call Paul Winker Watson a pudding. He is coming back from injury and needing game time. Wash your mouth out with soap if such an item exists where you come from.

In answer to your question, today I would say none. Both Hester and Lyons are often given a hard time but not today. The latter especially was aff it the day and played the poorest I've seen him play for a while. To be fair, your team were quicker to every ball all over the park, which SP attests to in his post match interview.

I think he needs gym time rather than game time. I thought it was one of your coaching team you'd thrown on. Lyons spent more time on the deck crying for free kicks than he did on the ball. I expected a lot more from the Mo today so perhaps my harsh criticism is fuelled by that, but genuinely the worst team I've seen this season.

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I expected a lot more from the Mo today.

Why?  Game over after 6 minutes.  You should have had the sense to go home.

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think he needs gym time rather than game time. I thought it was one of your coaching team you'd thrown on. Lyons spent more time on the deck crying for free kicks than he did on the ball. I expected a lot more from the Mo today so perhaps my harsh criticism is fuelled by that, but genuinely the worst team I've seen this season.

Screenshot_20240921-211036~2.png

1 minute ago, Brummo said:

Screenshot_20240921-211036~2.png

Not sure why this is difficult. I'm talking about today's game. It's clear Montrose have played better in other games and they deserve to be where they are. It doesn't change the fact they are the worst team I've seen play against Dumbarton so far. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not sure why this is difficult. I'm talking about today's game. It's clear Montrose have played better in other games and they deserve to be where they are. It doesn't change the fact they are the worst team I've seen play against Dumbarton so far. 

I wouldn't pay them much attention. They all vote Tory and really support Rangers.

Edited by FifeSons

Just now, The Moonster said:

That is fair enough. It was tough for you to get nothing from today, other than it being a good performance. We need to give ourselves a major kick up the backside ahead of next week's game against Alloa or we'll get a hiding. Today was a bad day at the office, with a smash and grab of the points. We learn and move on.

18 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I'm not sure about that. Up until last week, we had been playing with a real belief that we could always get something out of games. But it is possible that the sucker punch last week and today, will dent what belief the guys have. I hope not though, because if we could start to get some composure in front of goal, I wouldn't fear a single team in this league.

Unfortunately, 6 points from 7 games is relegation form, regardless of whether you are battering the opposition every week.

I’m only going on what I was seeing today, but there were a fair few nervy displays out there. There was also a lack of bravery in decision making. Hopefully the team can collectively pick their heads up, otherwise it could be a long season.