Middle East Paggers/Exploding Pagers

Bairnardo

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cwyl9048gx8t

Quite a story. Genuine spy movie/Bond Villain shit happening in real life. 

Has any P&Ber ever rigged a large number of everyday devices to explode simultaneously? 

Mate of used to do that regularly.

Spoiler

Worked in a quarry.

It will be interesting to see how the Israelis have done this.  I've read some people say that the batteries exploded but I don't think you could rig up literally thousands of devices to explode at the same time like that by overheating the battery.  Also, I'm unclear on the mechanism you could use to cause a lithium battery to explode - obviously they can and do explode when heated but how would you do that on the scale done here?  It would seem to be very difficult.

It's more likely that the Israel penetrated the manufacture of the pagers - apparently they had recently been supplied.  So it's possible Israel placed agents into the factory, who put small charges and a remote detonator into every pager which were then triggered today.  I would imagine that it might be more sophisticated than having someone on the assembly line with a pocket full of explosives, as that would be too easily to detect.  Maybe they took control of a parts supplier and supplied them into the factory.  Pretty remarkable if that's what was done, both to actually do it and also for there not to be any malfunction or explode during transit etc.

One thing that you might say though is that if the Israelis could do something like this, couldn't they have used this information more valuably?  If they could implant something into every device or someone control every device could they not used it to track senior commanders and use drone strikes or bombs?  ALso, if you can blow up the pagers surely you can intercept information contained within them, would that not be more valuable?  

35 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It will be interesting to see how the Israelis have done this.  I've read some people say that the batteries exploded but I don't think you could rig up literally thousands of devices to explode at the same time like that by overheating the battery.  Also, I'm unclear on the mechanism you could use to cause a lithium battery to explode - obviously they can and do explode when heated but how would you do that on the scale done here?  It would seem to be very difficult.

It's more likely that the Israel penetrated the manufacture of the pagers - apparently they had recently been supplied.  So it's possible Israel placed agents into the factory, who put small charges and a remote detonator into every pager which were then triggered today.  I would imagine that it might be more sophisticated than having someone on the assembly line with a pocket full of explosives, as that would be too easily to detect.  Maybe they took control of a parts supplier and supplied them into the factory.  Pretty remarkable if that's what was done, both to actually do it and also for there not to be any malfunction or explode during transit etc.

One thing that you might say though is that if the Israelis could do something like this, couldn't they have used this information more valuably?  If they could implant something into every device or someone control every device could they not used it to track senior commanders and use drone strikes or bombs?  ALso, if you can blow up the pagers surely you can intercept information contained within them, would that not be more valuable?  

Mossad had been tracking their phones and targeting their leaders that way so Hezbollah switched to pagers. Pagers are receive only and don't give away locations.