Clyde FC vs Elgin City FC - 21/09/2024

I honestly don't even know anymore. These next two games are absolutely key for the season in my opinion - decent results against Elgin and Peterhead and we can (hopefully) crack on but negative results, especially after the recent and very poorly communicated news of board-level goings on, absolutely destroys the remainder of 2024. Assuming McKay and Cuddihy are out I'd probably go with:

- Kinnear -

- Houston - Hamilton - Howie - Robson -

- Murdoch - Scullion -

- Redfern - Connell - Leitch -

- Allan -

Although there did seem to be a few injuries last week with Connell, Hynes and Grant all in the stands. I think we missed Connell's drive and delivery on Saturday there, and he'd be back in for me if fit. What looked like a reasonably well put together squad in the summer now looks like a team of individuals, miles off it, attempting to play their own game. It absolutely stinks.

Fingers crossed!

I think there's an argument for starting Dunachie alongside Hamilton. I don't really rate him at centre half but we need him in the team at set pieces.

If none of the injured ones return I'm probably along the lines of:

Kinnear

Houston Dunachie Hamilton Robson

Docherty Murdoch Leitch

Rennie Allan Scullion

Clyde were a bit of a bogey team for us last season. Worth noting the two 2-1 losses at New Douglas Park were close encounters while both games at Borough Briggs were fairly comfortable victories for us and on the final day them. 

The mood at the two clubs couldn’t be more different at the moment and while I’m a bit apprehensive (purely with our record against Clyde) we should have enough for three points. Really depends if Clyde are up for it or not.

Teamwise, I’d give McDonald or Leslie the nod ahead of Golding - he struggled on Tuesday and he might benefit from being taken out of the starting XI for now. I’d maybe play Hyde instead of Gallagher too.

Edited by CrispyMelon

I also have a feeling Clyde will come good this weekend. I can't remember us winning many games away to Clyde over the years and playing in two close games the last few days may have an impact. I'd probably pick the same team as Tuesday, that's our strongest just now for me.

3 hours ago, CrispyMelon said:

Clyde were a bit of a bogey team for us last season. Worth noting the two 2-1 losses at New Douglas Park were close encounters while both games at Borough Briggs were fairly comfortable victories for us and on the final day them. 

The mood at the two clubs couldn’t be more different at the moment and while I’m a bit apprehensive (purely with our record against Clyde) we should have enough for three points. Really depends if Clyde are up for it or not.

Teamwise, I’d give McDonald or Leslie the nod ahead of Golding - he struggled on Tuesday and he might benefit from being taken out of the starting XI for now. I’d maybe play Hyde instead of Gallagher too.

Agreed on Golding, he seems to have run out of ideas and maybe we are seeing what happened to him at Cove.

All about opinions but personally don’t think Macdonald or Leslie have the physicality to play from the start, better as impact players later when the game has opened up. Golding needs to keep it simple instead of trying to beat everyone and do everything. He is trying too hard imo.

I personally don’t see why Gallagher, Cameron and Hyde can’t all play together. It seems that Hale prefers to rotate and play any two of the three. I think they all offer more quality than Dingwall who runs about a lot, which isn’t to be knocked but doesn’t really retain possession or link play.

At least we are able to have a discussion about starting 11s when in the past that has very rarely been the case.

3 hours ago, 1993 said:

All about opinions but personally don’t think Macdonald or Leslie have the physicality to play from the start, better as impact players

fwiw, I thought the same about Leslie at Clyde. Great wee player obviously but not what we needed at the time so barely got a sniff of it in the latter part of the season.

Macdonald however, he was not good for us and I’m very surprised he’s managed to get a deal at not one, not two, but three league clubs since departing. He will almost certainly score tomorrow though.

First time I saw MacDonald I thought he was some bairn we'd brought through to fill the bench. A remarkably wee guy. 

As for Golding I think he just desperately needs a meaningful contribution to get the pressure off him. He's a good, smart player but it does look like he's lacking in confidence a bit.

Both of them to score on Saturday and show I know nothing.

Don't think I'll manage along today due to this turning into a bit of a hectic weekend so chances are we will finally come good. 

I'd basically echo the above about Leslie and McDonald. Think Leslie can definitely offer something mind you. Even when he was less favoured last year, he had one cracking assist off the bench if I recall right. 

McDonald is always likely to score a few but I can't ever recall him taking two touches. Always either a first time pass or a shot. He looked younger and smaller every time he got on for us too. 

I'd go with

Kinnear

Houston Howie Hamilton Robson

Murdoch D. Lyon

Rennie Scullion Redfern

Allan

If Grant, Cuddihy or Connell is fit I'd have them in for Lyon.

If we don't fancy Houston starting, then we could at least have stuck Dunachie at right back. We are relying on Howie a lot to defend corner kicks against a side with three big centre halves.