Cashless society

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

When I worked in a Post Office, one of the more limber residents from the local care home would be in every other week to withdraw cash for half a dozen others. She'd go through their cards one at a time, take out the money, and we'd return each withdrawal in a change bag to go into her purse. All in full view of the queue, and we had several regular nogoodniks and ne'er-do-wells who hung around outside. To my knowledge, nothing bad ever happened, but it never felt very good seeing her go out with a few grand in her bag.

Frankly, I was surprised that making withdrawals from other people's accounts was allowed anyway, but we were just told to get on with it  :unsure:

Here, the moneylenders can be seen with a pile of bank cards at the ATM withdrawing their 'clients' payments, usually on a Friday.  PITA if you get caught behind them as they have no shame in taking forever and a day by the time they've used the machine and then marked it in their wee book.

1 hour ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

The government being able to monitor what we spend our money on ain’t good at all tbh.

Do you believe they actually do this?   No wonder they country's been f**ked for years if Boris has been spending his time checking what Mrs Green at No 27 has been spending in Tesco. 

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

When I worked in a Post Office, one of the more limber residents from the local care home would be in every other week to withdraw cash for half a dozen others. She'd go through their cards one at a time, take out the money, and we'd return each withdrawal in a change bag to go into her purse. All in full view of the queue, and we had several regular nogoodniks and ne'er-do-wells who hung around outside. To my knowledge, nothing bad ever happened, but it never felt very good seeing her go out with a few grand in her bag.

Frankly, I was surprised that making withdrawals from other people's accounts was allowed anyway, but we were just told to get on with it  :unsure:

Aye thankfully doesn’t happen these days when I take someone to the bank I always have him with me and have my ID on. Helps I’ve worked with him for 9 years so most people in the bank know him and myself but heard some horror stories from years back but all of the transactions are tracked in the office.

We were on a family outing to Muiravonside Country Park a few months ago and the cafe was card only.  I was queuing up to get ice creams for everyone and the guy in front of me in the queue kicked off because he couldnt' pay in cash, he didn't have a card with him.  I was about to offer to pay for him when the manager came out and took his cash.

I'm not sure how many major places don't take cash.  That mad Yank woman who had an affair with Boris Johnson and has became a conpiracy theorist posted a video a while back where she ran into a Lidl and shouted at the staff because it was apparently a new cashless store but it turned out not to be I think.

I mainly use my phone to pay but always try to carry £20 on me. Cashless is very convenient but at the same time, I will avoid a card only shop in principle as I don't think people should be forced into it. Edited to add for above reply, would also try to avoid cash only for exactly the same reason, except in wee places like local cafe, hairdressers, takeaway etc.

I have elderly neighbours who only had a post office account up to a few years ago when their pension stopped getting paid into the post office and I work with some vulnerable people who pretty much exist in a cash only life.

Edited by s_dog

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

But anyone demanding cash as a payment method is dodging tax - at best - and in the case of some restaurants / car washes etc are paying undocumented workers less than minimum wage in cash.

There are only 3 establishments in Dumbarton that I'm aware of that have cash only demands - a kebab house, a church function hall and the Celtic club. I'll let people draw their own conclusions. 

Edited by The Moonster

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

We were on a family outing to Muiravonside Country Park a few months ago and the cafe was card only.  I was queuing up to get ice creams for everyone and the guy in front of me in the queue kicked off because he couldnt' pay in cash, he didn't have a card with him.  I was about to offer to pay for him when the manager came out and took his cash.

I'm not sure how many major places don't take cash.  That mad Yank woman who had an affair with Boris Johnson and has became a conpiracy theorist posted a video a while back where she ran into a Lidl and shouted at the staff because it was apparently a new cashless store but it turned out not to be I think.

I'd have offered the assistant half the price of the cones to annoy him more.