They're coming for our pints now..............

On 26/09/2024 at 11:28, Granny Danger said:

Serious question prompted by your comment, do people who drink at home drink pints?  I’d be very surprised if the answer is mainly yes.

I only drink pints at home due to this bad boy. 

Screenshot_20240930_190941_Chrome.jpg

On 26/09/2024 at 11:46, hk blues said:

I mostly buy bottles for drinking at home - so 330ml.  Only one of my tipples of choice comes in a larger (500ml) bottle.  I'm not a fan of beer in cans.

Far prefer Stella in cans (but it has to be the pint can).  Complete opposite for Tennents for which the chilled bottled form is a delight.

I find I just pretty much down 330ml bottles.  The idea that any part of a pint could ever be left so long that it loses its fizz is an alien concept to me.  

Edited by Hedgecutter

10 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

16ozs (or 1 US pint) is the standard can size for the majority of Chicago breweries, so a pint is my usual serving size if at home. 

That’s not a pint and you know it.  Americanised twat.

Edited by Granny Danger

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Far prefer Stella in cans (but it has to be the pint can).  Complete opposite for Tennents for which the chilled bottled form is a delight.

I find I just pretty much down 330ml bottles.  The idea that any part of a pint could ever be left so long that it loses its fizz is an alien concept to me.  

My tipple of choice comes in 3 bottle sizes - 330/500/1000ml.  The 1000ml is pretty much bought as a sharing bottle - I stick to the 500ml (as an aside the 1000ml is slightly dearer than 2x500ml. As a 2nd aside - a 330ml can is about 20% dearer than a 330ml bottle).  The problem of losing fizz is real for me as I like my beer really, really cold so I keep my beer glasses in the freezer which can be a recipe for flat beer.  Many here add ice to their beer which is totally f****d up to me.  

9 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

16ozs (or 1 US pint) is the standard can size for the majority of Chicago breweries, so a pint is my usual serving size if at home. 

Who weighs beer? What's that in normal pints or ml? 

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Who weighs beer? What's that in normal pints or ml? 

He's talking about fluid ounces. Confusingly,  US fluid ounces are larger than imperial fluid ounces, but US pints are smaller than imperial pints.

A US pint is roughly 473 ml, whilst the imperial pint is 568 ml.

10 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

He's talking about fluid ounces. Confusingly,  US fluid ounces are larger than imperial fluid ounces, but US pints are smaller than imperial pints.

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

Is the amount of a ‘fluid’ ounce variable?

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Is the amount of a ‘fluid’ ounce variable?

Surprisingly yes. An imperial fl oz is 28.41mls whereas the US one is 29.57mls. So the yank one is bigger, but they call 16 of them a pint, whereas you’ll need 20 of them in Blighty.

So if you get a 20oz ‘pint’ in the US - and there’s a pub I sometimes go to for the football that’ll give you British beers (usually Fullers and Belhaven) in that option - it actually pisses all over your wee sad colonist pints to the tune of an extra 23 and a bit millilitres. 

IMG_4594.jpeg

11 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Surprisingly yes. An imperial fl oz is 28.41mls whereas the US one is 29.57mls. So the yank one is bigger, but they call 16 of them a pint, whereas you’ll need 20 of them in Blighty.

So if you get a 20oz ‘pint’ in the US - and there’s a pub I sometimes go to for the football that’ll give you British beers (usually Fullers and Belhaven) in that option - it actually pisses all over your wee sad colonist pints to the tune of an extra 23 and a bit millilitres. 

IMG_4594.jpeg

But neither of these ‘fluid’ ounces are ‘fluid’, they are both set measures.

18 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

IMG_4594.jpeg

If you're drinking Bellhaven or Fullers I'm not sure getting extra can be classed as winning.