Warriors V Wasps

2 minutes ago, warriors21 said:

Since joining us last season, every single team has targeted Kinlay aerially with long diagonal balls that the wee man mops up time and time again.

He’s is a class act and is solid plugging a gap for us in the centre rather than playing in his usual left back position.

Thought he was excellent tonight to be honest. 

Hard to tell from the opposite end but didn’t think we put much towards him aerially once Sammo came on, might have been a bit more of a test for him. 

26 minutes ago, Redwedge77 said:

I would bury my face with that response from a Sauchie juniors fan who watches shit every single week 

So you thought it was a good game for £18. IF you payed that to  attend you were robbed. Each to their own.

We should have won, and suppose you'd say we got what we deserved, but the team put so much into it, like they do every week, that they will be devastated. 

Alloa started strongly and after 5 minutes it looked like we were in for a long night, but the game evened out and we had the best chances in the 1st half. Second half I thought we were the better team and created a lot of chances. Alloa barely threatened. 

DJ will be disappointed with the goal. He would normally save that. It was a sucker punch.

Loads of the team played well, but Kinlay Bilham was outstanding as a  makeshift centre half  again. He is a real gem. His replacement at left back, Kelsey Ewen, had a good game aswell. I thought throughout the team the effort was outstanding. We really should win more than we lose of we can keep that intensity up.

That's twice now that Alloa have beaten us without impressing. But after last season, we know all about grinding out results. 

51 minutes ago, guinness said:

So you thought it was a good game for £18. IF you payed that to  attend you were robbed. Each to their own.

You can only beat what is put in front of you. A dirty scruffy mob who Packed out the middle and stunk the place out . Class won in the end .

2 minutes ago, Redwedge77 said:

You can only beat what is put in front of you. A dirty scruffy mob who Packed out the middle and stunk the place out . Class won in the end .

The first line is spot on. The rest of your comments is awfy bitter. 

We gave a really good account of ourselves I thought and should have at least taken a draw from the game. To lose in that manner was a real sucker punch but that's football. Credit to young Rankin he was never in the game and well marshalled but he delivered the moment that mattered.

What a bunch of lads. We are down to the bare bones but they will leave it out there win, lose or draw as a collective every single week and we can't ask for much more.

I'm not sure why people are carping about the quality of the match. I thought, on the whole, it was an entertaining game of football with a fair degree of tension between two capable sides. I am perplexed that Stenhousemuir didn't come away with a point, however, as I thought they were the better team and created numerous chances. There were points during the second half where we'd looked at the most enterprising we've done all season, but we just couldn't find a way to goal. Our lack of ruthlessness ultimately cost us - we somehow hit the woodwork three times as well as passing up other good opportunities. If you contrive to screw up a four-on-one counter-attack, you deserve what you get.

Alloa Athletic will be delighted with the victory. That was a real smash and grab. Having done little throughout, Luke Rankin cut onto his right foot and fired a laser-guided shot low and into the net. I think it was a combination of good finishing and poor goalkeeping from Darren Jamieson - Rankin's effort is terrifically struck and supremely accurate, but it seemed to catch out Jamieson who looked slow diving to block it. After a good 10 or 15 minutes of Stenhousemuir pressure, there was a sense of disbelief when the ball cracked into the net. It's just not fair!

I'm not sure what to make of Alloa. They started the match with pace and dominated the first five minutes but when the game settled into its rhythm, I'd argue Stenhousemuir were mostly superior. Alloa have got a strong back four - solid, meat-and-potatoes defenders who will keep the ball as far away from goal as possible - a decent balance in the middle of the park and adventurous wide players, but I feel they lack a reliable, consistent striker. I don't think they're a better side than Stenhousemuir, even if they have beaten us twice! I hope that comment doesn't come across as bitter - both games this season have been tight affairs separated by a single goal in their favour - but I understand why some fans have said they're not reached their best so far.

I'm very proud of this Stenhousemuir side. Given we're missing a raft of players, particularly in central defence and with limited options on the bench, I thought we competed very well indeed. Everyone put in a good shift and gave all they had for the cause. I'm going to single out Kinlay Bilham for a special mention - moved to an auxiliary centre-back for only the second time, I thought he was tremendous, winning almost every ball he competed for and working well alongside Gregor Buchanan. When Conor Sammon was introduced, I think there was a collective fear he would suddenly wilt but he continued to battle with the big striker. Any headers he did lose, his partner was behind him to sweep up. Bilham has been a superb signing for Stenhousemuir, a real gem of a find. A special mention must also go to Kelsey Ewen who has filled in well at left-back and continues to grow in the position.

Despite the result, there are plenty of positives to take. Up next are Rangers children's side in the SPFL Trust Trophy followed by Kelty Hearts at Ochilview. I am boycotting this B-team monstrosity but I will be back in town on Saturday. It's a big game and we should be in better shape to face Kelty than we were last time out. I'm looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm not sure why people are carping about the quality of the match. I thought, on the whole, it was an entertaining game of football with a fair degree of tension between two capable sides. I am perplexed that Stenhousemuir didn't come away with a point, however, as I thought they were the better team and created numerous chances. There were points during the second half where we'd looked at the most enterprising we've done all season, but we just couldn't find a way to goal. Our lack of ruthlessness ultimately cost us - we somehow hit the woodwork three times as well as passing up other good opportunities. If you contrive to screw up a four-on-one counter-attack, you deserve what you get.

Alloa Athletic will be delighted with the victory. That was a real smash and grab. Having done little throughout, Luke Rankin cut onto his right foot and fired a laser-guided shot low and into the net. I think it was a combination of good finishing and poor goalkeeping from Darren Jamieson - Rankin's effort is terrifically struck and supremely accurate, but it seemed to catch out Jamieson who looked slow diving to block it. After a good 10 or 15 minutes of Stenhousemuir pressure, there was a sense of disbelief when the ball cracked into the net. It's just not fair!

I'm not sure what to make of Alloa. They started the match with pace and dominated the first five minutes but when the game settled into its rhythm, I'd argue Stenhousemuir were mostly superior. Alloa have got a strong back four - solid, meat-and-potatoes defenders who will keep the ball as far away from goal as possible - a decent balance in the middle of the park and adventurous wide players, but I feel they lack a reliable, consistent striker. I don't think they're a better side than Stenhousemuir, even if they have beaten us twice! I hope that comment doesn't come across as bitter - both games this season have been tight affairs separated by a single goal in their favour - but I understand why some fans have said they're not reached their best so far.

I'm very proud of this Stenhousemuir side. Given we're missing a raft of players, particularly in central defence and with limited options on the bench, I thought we competed very well indeed. Everyone put in a good shift and gave all they had for the cause. I'm going to single out Kinlay Bilham for a special mention - moved to an auxiliary centre-back for only the second time, I thought he was tremendous, winning almost every ball he competed for and working well alongside Gregor Buchanan. When Conor Sammon was introduced, I think there was a collective fear he would suddenly wilt but he continued to battle with the big striker. Any headers he did lose, his partner was behind him to sweep up. Bilham has been a superb signing for Stenhousemuir, a real gem of a find. A special mention must also go to Kelsey Ewen who has filled in well at left-back and continues to grow in the position.

Despite the result, there are plenty of positives to take. Up next are Rangers children's side in the SPFL Trust Trophy followed by Kelty Hearts at Ochilview. I am boycotting this B-team monstrosity but I will be back in town on Saturday. It's a big game and we should be in better shape to face Kelty than we were last time out. I'm looking forward to it.

Completely agree about the quality of the game. I really enjoyed it. Both sides gave everything for the full ninety minutes. I though Stenny played well and looked to have kicked on even from the game at the Indodrill. 

Calum Waters was brilliant to stop that counter attack. Of course, from a Stenny viewpoint he shouldn't have any chance.

I've always had the opinion that the best finishers can make goalies look silly at times because of the quality of their finishing and I think Luke Rankin's goal may be an example of that. Before you can even see it's a shooting chance, he's stroked the ball into the corner of the net.

From our vantage point, I thought it was Tyrece who had scored with the white boots and position he picked the ball up in. Then I noticed Luke's family, who were standing beside me going ballistic. 

I agree with a lot of the comments from both sides, but I don't agree we were sh*te (or worse!) or that the league is sh*te. Yes, there's no one with Dunfermline, Falkirk (or even Hamilton's) quality, but there are a lot of decent, competitive sides. The league table is very tight and all ten teams will feel they are in the promotion race. That in itself makes it exciting and is the aspect we should be talking up IMO.

From an Alloa point of view, the strengths and weaknesses have been laid out several times already this season. With @Waspie covering that eloquently.

I do wonder if playing two up front might work better for us. Luke for all his quality isn't going to hold the ball up or link play from long balls fired up to him. If he's fit he has to start though. Andy did the right thing not taking him off when Sammo (who continues to be a valuable squad member at nearly 38yo) came on.

Three final thoughts. I liked that we tried big Miko in an advanced role. It didn't workout great (many because Bilham was so committed and clever with his jumping) but worth trying in future. I like to see managers trying things, so kudos to Andy.

Stevie Buchanan needs to have a bit more composure when he gets to the byline. He's very good at it, but we don't get its full benefit. Again, I'm sure that is being worked on.

Finally, I was delighted Taggs got MotM (it's correct title!). Lee Miller's summing up of the reasons was spot on too.

Edited by printer

I agree, I think it's a good division. People complain about a "lack of quality" whatever that means, but the fact we're 10 games in and the league doesn't appear to have any structure to it whatsoever, with just three points separating the top six teams (and eight points separating first place and bottom!), gives it such a degree of unpredictability and excitement. Every other division in the SPFL appears to have settled into a pattern - not ours! And that's great!

It's certainly looking like it's going to be an exciting league without doubt - but I'd still maintain the level so far isn't great. There aren't stand out FT sides but the level of the rest has gone backwards too I think. I'd suggest Alloa playing the way we have so far would have been mid-table at best in previous League One seasons. Now perhaps we've been spoiled a little, have unrealistic expectations and just need to accept it's not a vintage crop or season, and just enjoy it being very tight. Similarly though, perhaps Stenny fans are (understandably) enjoying a team which has made history for them and not seeing that the overall level isn't very good? Maybe the truth is somewhere in between, but for two sides fighting to go top after ten games I'd still expect more in terms of constructive football. And it wasn't an isolated example either, pretty much par for the course so far. 

As for us, it's a good shout from printer about maybe trying two up to help Rankin. He's doing well without enough support. Roberts is clearly a massive loss in terms of driving the team on from deep. I don't think Buchanan and Cawley is consistently effective as the wide combination in the three further up. Buchanan is a player who continues to make progress and can be a really good weapon but his big asset is his pace. Needs to add a bit of more. We might get away with it more if we had someone consistently causing bother on the other side, but over there Kev's big thing is coming in off the left rather than playing as a wide man. And that would probably be work better if we had someone consistently tearing it up on the right. As a pair it's not ideal and too easy to combat, in my opinion anyway. Our best hope is continuing to grind out enough points to stay in contention while we try to integrate the new additions up there and hopefully get Roberts back fit and firing, and perhaps strengthen again in January. 

I don't understand some of our fans having a go at Stenny. They have an excellent goalkeeper, defence is solid and the midfield are combative and capable of being creative too. You could see Aitken can be effective also. There are a good few players there I'd be happy to see at Alloa. I heard Naismith saying last night he had warned his team about Stirling last season and how well they had started then fallen away. Now I thought Stirling last year should still have had enough to shitfest their way to survival anyway, but Stenny are clearly much better than that. Will easily stay up and given how tight the league is are well capable of having a crack at another promotion. 

Edited by Waspie

Didn't think it was a great performance from us yesterday and Stennie easily deserved a point if not more. PJ Morrison was by far our best player which says it all.

Stenhousemuir are a really good club with an excellent setup that puts ours to shame. The social club is excellent and both their stand and covered terracing is far superior to ours.

Was disappointed to see a flare being thrown onto the pitch at the end, no idea what that achieves. The young guys made a decent atmosphere and no real issues with pyrotechnics but that was just stupid.

5 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Was disappointed to see a flare being thrown onto the pitch at the end, no idea what that achieves. The young guys made a decent atmosphere and no real issues with pyrotechnics but that was just stupid.

Thought they done a good job too getting behind the team. Guessing it'll be a bill from Stenny for any damage to the astro, hopefully there wasn't much.

Thought the BBC Alba is f**king sh**e chant was quite funny, wonder if it was audible on the tv

For the goal, DJ gets wrong footed and is already moving across to his left. Rankin wraps his foot round the ball quickly as he's releasing it and the ball rolls it nicely into the corner. DJ could've been a bit quicker to react but it is a good finish. I was a bit disappointed that it came from O'Donnell's drive into the box and he never got his shot off. 

Like everyone has said though, we've got to be proud of this Stenny team. Giving a good account for ourselves and becoming hard to beat even with so many injuries. Compact midfield that narrows the attackers and a solid defence behind them, that read the game so well. Thought O'Reilly had a good game yesterday, some tidy footwork and clever runs. 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

A good 3 points for us in a traditionally difficult venue for alloa. 

We are top of the league without hitting anywhere near the form that took us to the play off at the tail end of last season. However we are defending much better and bringing in Calum watters has shored up our left back problem that cost us promotion in May . 

We we certainly not as dynamic going forward but we still have last seasons player of the year to return in the middle of the park . Roberts has been a miss especially his partnership with Miko. If he comes back and finds his form it will be a huge shot in the arm for us . 

I agree it's a much even division with nothing between most of the sides. I have seen Stenny twice now and the certainly have enough defensively about them to stay in this division and compete. They won't do a Stirling who were in truth poor last season especially at the back. 

I noticed folks who prefer the junior tussles coming on and commenting on the standard of football.  I thought the game was decent on Saturday and a million miles away from the buckfast fayre served up not far from the recs. 

Enjoyed the trip across the water on Saturday and looking forward to returning in the spring and of course when the Stirlingshire cup resumes for the big teams....