Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

before they stuck a 1 in at the start of the Nineties Edinburgh phone numbers were 3-3-4

In 1958 city codes were introduced- Edinburgh got 031. This is because 3 corresponded with E on the dial below. O41 for Glasgow corresponding with G on the dial. 

Aberdeen was given 0224 with the numbers representing AB4 (the postcode of the main exchange) on the rotary telephone, and Dundee similarly was given 01382 - representing DU2.

You could roughly tell where somebody lived in Edinburgh from their phone number too-e.g. 225 was a Central Edinburgh code. The three numbers after the 031 used to correspond to the alphabetical exchange code which is why old phone dials had letters on them. You see it in old adverts e.g. for Fred's Chip Shop phone WAV 2234

dial.jpg.f2582c33603f3cd3302e92c0c5994b75.jpg

I once dialled an international number using one of these bad boys. Kids, you don't know you're born... 

I had absolutely no idea area codes were related to any of that!

I know the Americans still use letters (dial 1-900-SAUSAGE now!) but I've never seen the letters used for anything here. Must have been way before my time.

21 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I had absolutely no idea area codes were related to any of that!

I know the Americans still use letters (dial 1-900-SAUSAGE now!) but I've never seen the letters used for anything here. Must have been way before my time.

I never got the number for letter thing on auld phones - 10 numbers but 25 letters so how could it work? 

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I never got the number for letter thing on auld phones - 10 numbers but 25 letters so how could it work? 

Each number has several letters attached, so 1-900-SAUSAGE would be 1-900-728-7243.

1-900-QAURAID would also be the same number, but less memorable.

Mobile-keypad.png

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Each number has several letters attached, so 1-900-SAUSAGE would be 1-900-728-7243.

1-900-QAURAID would also be the same number, but less memorable.

Mobile-keypad.png

3-4-2-5 that I am, I was looking at it arse for elbow.