Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

That's the one about the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff at the end of the war? The biggest maritime disaster in history. I think I'll give that one a go.

Sure is! Do give it a go - you'll not be disappointed, or if you are I'll buy you a pint! :D

Feck it, I'll buy you a pint anyway, next time our sides meet! :lol:;)

Guest The Phoenix
Certainly:

Dog Years (Hundejahre)

The Rat (Die Rattin)

The Flounder (Der Butt)

Crabwalk (Im Krebsgang)

Are all excellently entertaining reads.

However the following:

Local Anaesthetic (Ortlich Betaub)

The Plebian's Rehearse the Uprising (Der Plebejar Proben den Aufstand)

The Meeting in Telgte (Das Treffen in Telgte)

From the Diary of a Snail (Aus dem Tagebuch Einer Schneke)

Are for real Grass enthusiasts, primarily because they involve the political machinations of the Social Democrat Party, Willy Brandt and his political rivals. You would only fully benefit from reading them if you have some knowledge of German politics from the early 1960's onwards.

More info HERE

:o Try it again, try it again. It's a work of genius.

post-1053-1218801129_thumb.jpg

The tale of a young boy, Oskar Matzerath, who sees which way Germany is head in the 1930's and opts out by deciding not to grow up, using a deliberate fall down the family's cellar steps as the excuse for his subsequent lack of growth. By disassociating himself from the adult world he can sit back, observe and record the chaotic progress of the German nation during the Second World War. The episode where he sits hidden under the rostrum at a Nazi rally and totally disrupts it by beating out a counter tempo to the Waffen SS band's drummer throwing everyone into confusion until a near riot breaks out is hilarious.

On the flip side, the bravery and resiliance of the fated defence of the Polich Post office in Danzig/Gdansk in the face of Nazi tanks and stormtroopers during the fall of Poland had me in tears.

At the very least rent a copy of the Volker Schlondorff film Die Blechtrommel.....

post-1053-1218801288_thumb.jpg

B) ;)

I feel so inadequate. :(

I didn't even know old Günter existed.

Sounds fascinating and I may just have discovered a new author to replace Enid Blyton - I think I'm getting a bit old for The Famous Five.

Although I will miss Julian, Dick and Anne, George and Timmy not to mention Uncle Quentin and Aunt Fanny. You can't beat a bit of adventure laced with a never-ending supply of Ginger Beer and Ham Rolls.

Edited by The Phoenix

Guest The Phoenix
Ah, the staple diet of my early reading days many, many moons ago! :)

(PS - Don't feel inadequate, look at it as something new you've learnt! :D;) )

Indeed. :D

One is never too old to learn. Remembering is a whole different kettle of fish. :(

Edited by The Phoenix

After seven weeks of sitting on my erse in front of the telly I opened my schoolbag to see what needs done before going back on Monday. Unfortunately, I had totally forgot about having to redesign the entire S3/4 gen/found course. Looks like my weekend will be spent in front of the computer...

:thumbsdown:(:death