Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Guest The Phoenix
My right ear is sore, again. It'll go away soon but it seems to come back every few days. Fucking weird, and it's always the right one. :huh:

I've heard of a roving eye but never an ear.

Ah well, ear today, gone tomorrow.

Ahem! A good 14 hours ahead of you there, Teh Phoenix, ya patter stealing auld bas! :angry:

Look upon it as a compliment. ;)

When you don't have a bottle opener, so you have to resort to bashing your bottle against things in the hope you manage to get the cap off, trying your hardest not to smash it into a thousand tiny bits.

I think I got all the glass out of the bottle, but we'll see. If I don't post again, I've probably drank me some shards. I have enjoyed my time here.

I've just switched the television onto some channel called "Bravo", the kitchen boy watches it during his breaks you see. My goodness, my monacle nearly fell out and smashed! It appears there is some kind of gay rape going on.

Its apparently something called Mixed Martial Arts, but they seem to be rolling about on the floor fondling each other, it is really something to put one of his cognac. And people say they prefer this to the civilised science of boxing? :huh:

When you don't have a bottle opener, so you have to resort to bashing your bottle against things in the hope you manage to get the cap off, trying your hardest not to smash it into a thousand tiny bits.

I think I got all the glass out of the bottle, but we'll see. If I don't post again, I've probably drank me some shards. I have enjoyed my time here.

Use your teeth. Thats what the lower classes do. Or is this some sort of sick and twisted euphemism?

I've just switched the television onto some channel called "Bravo", the kitchen boy watches it during his breaks you see. My goodness, my monacle nearly fell out and smashed! It appears there is some kind of gay rape going on.

Its apparently something called Mixed Martial Arts, but they seem to be rolling about on the floor fondling each other, it is really something to put one of his cognac. And people say they prefer this to the civilised science of boxing? :huh:

Use your teeth. Thats what the lower classes do. Or is this some sort of sick and twisted euphemism?

Who shat in your cornflakes?

Mixed Martial Arts is excellent. Although I prefer boxing I am just getting into MMA and a good match up is very entertaining - many boxers are MMA fans, David Haye for one. Boxing could learn a huge lesson from MMA on how to organise itself.

This joke is wearing thin - it's perfectly normal to receieve help from your parents whilst attending University, even if they are ju-ju practioners.

My teeth are made of dying duck. I have more chance of sooking myself off than opening a bottle using my teeth without doing major damage.

My teeth are made of dying duck. I have more chance of sooking myself off than opening a bottle using my teeth without doing major damage.

Use the edge of you radiator

Edited by Brown Must Go

Mixed Martial Arts is excellent. Although I prefer boxing I am just getting into MMA and a good match up is very entertaining - many boxers are MMA fans, David Haye for one. Boxing could learn a huge lesson from MMA on how to organise itself.

What, gayly and with snuggling? It could learn a lesson about organisation and promotion, but really, when you look at it, its the lowest of the low. It takes everything that is exciting and clinical about boxing, and throws them into the gutter. It then takes what you have left, which is about as worthwhile as the stale Merlot I give to the poor, and combines it with WWF. I've watched a few at the urging of my kitchen staff, and I just don't see the appeal. If you want that kind of thing, the WWF does it far better.

In my younger days, when I used to cavort with the proles, I had occasion to use my non gold teeth as bottle openers. I have a few chips, but its surprisingly easy to do. You just have to commit!

What, gayly and with snuggling? It could learn a lesson about organisation and promotion, but really, when you look at it, its the lowest of the low. It takes everything that is exciting and clinical about boxing, and throws them into the gutter. It then takes what you have left, which is about as worthwhile as the stale Merlot I give to the poor, and combines it with WWF. I've watched a few at the urging of my kitchen staff, and I just don't see the appeal. If you want that kind of thing, the WWF does it far better.

What don't you like about it? I think it's exciting, hard hitting, physical. I do find the wrestling side of it a bit hard to follow as I don't know anything about ju-jitsu or wrestling but most of the fights on tonights card stayed standing up for the most part. And if you don't like 'snuggling' wait until you see John Ruiz (who Haye is fighting next) - he is possibly the biggest hugger in sport!

MMA is a proper sport, unlike the WWF as well. It's a false comparison.

David Haye on boxing and MMA

You mentioned Chuck Liddell just before and I’ve got an interest in mma, I can’t lie to you… do you follow the sport at all?

Yeah, I do. I’m a big fan, when I was out in Miami, I went to the EliteXC fight with Kimbo, I saw that show out there. I enjoyed the show, I go to Cage Rage whenever I’m in the UK. I’m a big fan of mixed martial arts, I’m a big fan of combat sports in general. I definitely love watching it. I actually believe that I’d like to get involved in it once my boxing career is over.

Seriously? You’d be interested in competing yourself?

In an ideal world, this is what my plan would be - I’ve accomplished one part of my plan, which was to be undisputed cruiserweight champion of the world, once I’m at heavyweight, I’m not going to box into my 31st year. You know, I’ve been boxing since the age of 10 years old, 20 years in the game is enough for me. But what I’d like to do then, I’d like to challenge whoever’s regarded as the number one mixed martial arts fighter.

I’d probably have to train for a year and try and make that fight because I definitely feel that my reactions are good enough – and if I can get my ground game to a reasonable level… Obviously, I’m not going to be able to catch up with these guys who have been doing jiu-jitsu their whole lives.

Believe it or not, I come from a martial arts background, my father was a karate teacher, so I’ve got good legs. I’ve done judo, so I know what I’m doing. I train at a gym called the Third Space in Piccadilly which has a jiu-jitsu dojo and I get in there from time to time and have a roll around with the guys. They tell me I’m at a decent level, if I put some focus into it and put some time and effort into it… I’m a natural athlete, I can do anything that I want to do and I think that it would be definitely worth my while getting in to do it.

It’s just another challenge, I like to set myself goals and tasks and definitely fighting for the UFC heavyweight championship would be a real big thing for me and I’d do whatever was required to get that win. I’m a fighter, through and through – any kind of competition. I’d be a big underdog, and I’d actually like that. I like people writing me off. I used to fight in the street, I used to be a street fighter, so I’m not a traditional boxer, I’ve done martial arts since the age of 3. I might surprise a few people with my ground game.

Have you got a message for any fans out there?

Yeah, just keep watching me. I always fight the fight that the fans want to see. I live a healthy lifestyle, I go out there and put it on the line. I’m doing this sport for the fans and I don’t look at fans as just boxing fans, or mma fans. I think for some stupid reason there is some sort of divide. I think that boxing fans and mma fans should come together and unite and realise that boxing is boxing and mixed martial arts is mixed martial arts. At the end of the end, it’s all a similar thing. You can be avid fans of both sports, just like I am.

I’m a professional boxer, but I’ve been to a lot of mixed martial arts tournaments that were a hell of a lot more entertaining than some of the higher level professional boxing shows. So it’s not one or the other in my eyes. If you’re a fan of fighting and enjoy and good tear up, as long as the fighters are evenly matched and they show some heart and dedication…

A fight is a fight. I’ll stand in the rain watching two dudes fight in a park if the fight was competitive and I’ll enjoy is just as much as I would do Floyd Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya – I might even enjoy it more.

So, to the fans, just enjoy fighting, don’t pick a sport just enjoy all aspects of the sports.

What don't you like about it? I think it's exciting, hard hitting, physical. I do find the wrestling side of it a bit hard to follow as I don't know anything about ju-jitsu or wrestling but most of the fights on tonights card stayed standing up for the most part. And if you don't like 'snuggling' wait until you see John Ruiz (who Haye is fighting next) - he is possibly the biggest hugger in sport!

MMA is a proper sport, unlike the WWF as well. It's a false comparison.

Maybe its just the bits of various fights that I've watched (I've switched over now, dreadful plebian entertainment), but rather than hard hitting and physical, it seems to have people rolling on each other, hitting soft punches, and trying to put submission moves on.

Don't get me wrong, I know what Ruiz is like, and I don't enjoy that whole hugging thing either. But the MMA I've seen seems consist mainly of that! And I think I would prefer to watch the WWF. I used to really like the dramatic moves, and The Rock. So I think its just not for me.

But the working classes must have their opium!

Maybe its just the bits of various fights that I've watched (I've switched over now, dreadful plebian entertainment), but rather than hard hitting and physical, it seems to have people rolling on each other, hitting soft punches, and trying to put submission moves on.

Don't get me wrong, I know what Ruiz is like, and I don't enjoy that whole hugging thing either. But the MMA I've seen seems consist mainly of that! And I think I would prefer to watch the WWF. I used to really like the dramatic moves, and The Rock. So I think its just not for me.

I think when you get into it a bit more you appreciate the nuances of the fighting. Like in the Dan Hardy-Mike Swick fight tonight - I thought that was a good fight, it flowed, you could see the tactics being used by each fighter and there was plenty of action. You also had the edge of knowing that both guys were good strikers and could take the other out so it had that tension, much like watching a boxing match with a big hitter.

Your comparison with WWF, The Rock etc isn't really valid either - you could say And I think I would prefer to watch the WWF. I used to really like the dramatic moves, and The Rock. about boxing,or indeed any sport.

Use the edge of you radiator

No can do. I have a wee beer fridge, a chest of drawers and a piano all blocking it. Probably not entirely safe, but there we go.

Anyway, some bam along the street is having some sort of party, and I can hear the overspill through the window.

"HAW WHIT HAHAHAHH"

"AAAAAH WHITMAN!"

Regarding MMA, you could well be right, its just something I don't like the look of, and so have little interest in sticking about until I understand, one just doesn't get that top hole kind of buzz. Whereas from right when I first watched the boxing (I think it was an easy Frank Bruno fight), I felt an immediate attraction to it.

As for Toma, has one learned nothing from survival programmes from the likes of Bear Grylls and Ray Mears? Seriously, if I can't find a bottle opener, then I ring for my butler to bring me a fork, a knife, or I get him to use a doorframe, a table edge, anything! Show a little backbone man, stand up for your class.