Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Yeah, same here. We had teh en-suite that we could use.

It was a godsend, as I doubt my flatemate would have been impressed if the loo was out of commission for 3 days! :P

Thats when you time your trips to work/school/pub with times you need to go to the toilet, and find out where the local swimming baths are kept for showers :lol:

Anyone outwith Glasgow will have to pay.

Anyone without Glasgow will have to pay.

Aye, that makes sense! :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, in, y'know, books and stuff, "Anyone without Glasgow will have to pay" is used quite frequently.

I know it's mainly a Scottish thing so I'm not saying it's wrong, but if you try "outwith"... outwith Scotland :D you may well pick up some funny looks. (I have heard it elsewhere but not often.) The correct English is without, just as the correct English is within Glasgow, rather than inwith.

Plus, my Collins dictionary does not have the word, dictionary.com doesn't have it and Google doesn't offer a handy definition link. I see pollymac made some ham-fisted attempt at an OED link but since it's not working, I can't check it. In any case, the OED contains any number of neologisms that, while perhaps in usage, won't be considered "correct" for some time to come.

It's a local idiom, and it's one that I don't like - it's not correct English and I stand by that. The fact that it's in common usage doesn't mean I have to like it, nor does it subscribe to the correct structure of English. Feel free to point and laugh at me for THAT but I stand by the fact that "without Glasgow" is the correct word, although "outside" would be much better in any case.

contradicting posts get right on my wick tongue.gif

Ditto.

Edited by Swampy

Actually, in, y'know, books and stuff, "Anyone without Glasgow will have to pay" is used quite frequently.

I know it's mainly a Scottish thing so I'm not saying it's wrong, but if you try "outwith"... outwith Scotland :D you may well pick up some funny looks. (I have heard it elsewhere but not often.) The correct English is without, just as the correct English is within Glasgow, rather than inwith.

Plus, my Collins dictionary does not have the word, dictionary.com doesn't have it and Google doesn't offer a handy definition link. I see pollymac made some ham-fisted attempt at an OED link but since it's not working, I can't check it. In any case, the OED contains any number of neologisms that, while perhaps in usage, won't be considered "correct" for some time to come.

It's a local idiom, and it's one that I don't like - it's not correct English and I stand by that. The fact that it's in common usage doesn't mean I have to like it, nor does it subscribe to the correct structure of English. Feel free to point and laugh at me for THAT but I stand by the fact that "without Glasgow" is the correct word, although "outside" would be much better in any case.

Ditto.

I think you'll find the dictionary doesn't have the word, because it's actually two words. Out with.

:lol:

I've only ever seen it written as "outwith."

Again: why is "within Glasgow" countered by "out with Glasgow" (not outwith Glasgow)?

Edit: A quick search of a few dictionary sources shows "out with" being used only in the case of "out with it!" (i.e. telling someone to hurry up and talk.) Google searches for "out with Glasgow" returns more than "outwith Glasgow", but still a tiny amount - if I knew how to search for "out with" only relating to locations (as opposed to, say, Brown out with broken arm) then I would, but I can't.

Edited by Swampy

Slow Drivers - Esp Micra Drivers. Should be shot

Speed Camera's on motorways. Offpeak hours speed limit should be 100

CCTV - Your every move watched

All seater football stadiums - No atmosphere, caused the death of football

Price to watch football and can't do f**k all. Even swearing now risks getting a banning order.

No longer being able to run on the pitch when a late goal is scored to celebrate survivial, promotion etc...

Glory supporters who only go when club is doing well. Yet they know the right people, so when tickets become available for a away match with a small allocation they somehow manage to get a ticket and despite being a season ticket holder and attend 75% of away games you don't manage to get a ticket.

People who wear fake clothing. Stone Island/CP Company, Prada etc... should sue Ebay for the amount of fake shit sold on there. Your a prize mug if you buy off there. If you are going to buy online stick to bbclothing or Section4.

Home Nations tournemount - No longer played. Would be great for Scotland, England, Wales and N.Ireland to all play each other every other season when there is no World Cup/European Championships. Would help pass the bordom of summer months. They should bring this back and do away with pointless friendlies that nobody cares about

Shift Work

Slow Drivers - Esp Micra Drivers. Should be shot

Speed Camera's on motorways. Offpeak hours speed limit should be 100

CCTV - Your every move watched

All seater football stadiums - No atmosphere, caused the death of football

Price to watch football and can't do f**k all. Even swearing now risks getting a banning order.

No longer being able to run on the pitch when a late goal is scored to celebrate survivial, promotion etc...

Glory supporters who only go when club is doing well. Yet they know the right people, so when tickets become available for a away match with a small allocation they somehow manage to get a ticket and despite being a season ticket holder and attend 75% of away games you don't manage to get a ticket.

People who wear fake clothing. Stone Island/CP Company, Prada etc... should sue Ebay for the amount of fake shit sold on there. Your a prize mug if you buy off there. If you are going to buy online stick to bbclothing or Section4.

Home Nations tournemount - No longer played. Would be great for Scotland, England, Wales and N.Ireland to all play each other every other season when there is no World Cup/European Championships. Would help pass the bordom of summer months. They should bring this back and do away with pointless friendlies that nobody cares about

Shift Work

Do you feel better now you got all that off your chest? :unsure::lol:

Found it!

Ruggy, it's not called the "nags" thread anymore!!!!!

Swampy, why exactly is it not "correct English"? Are you saying we have to speak English like the English do in order to be considered proper? Is American English incorrect? Are we in Scotland to adopt "spiffing" and drop "fucking magic by the way" from our vocabulary? And since when did you become the champion of anglicising the Scots? :blink:

I did say - either in this thread or another of the two where this conversation is also taking place - that some of the finest Scots dialect in English is incorrect. I just think in the case of outwith it sounds clumsy and, well, wrong.

I recognise Scots as a separate language, as it was regarded until a couple of hundred years ago, so I can weasel out of this by saying that when I speak English, I tend to do so "correctly" :D Which isn't to say I use some peculiarly Scottish words in my everyday language, but "outwith" isn't one of them.

American English is incorrect in Standard English, generally. "Honor", "color" and all that tripe.

Edited by Swampy

I did say - either in this thread or another of the two where this conversation is also taking place - that some of the finest Scots dialect in English is incorrect. I just think in the case of outwith it sounds clumsy and, well, wrong.

I recognise Scots as a separate language, as it was regarded until a couple of hundred years ago, so I can weasel out of this by saying that when I speak English, I tend to do so "correctly" :D Which isn't to say I use some peculiarly Scottish words in my everyday language, but "outwith" isn't one of them.

American English is incorrect in Standard English, generally. "Honor", "color" and all that tripe.

Quite a few languages have regional differences. Chinese has many different formats with differences between what is used in Maninland China to what is used in say Taiwan or Hong Kong.....

The US just use a regional version of English. So it can't be incorrect compared to "standard English" as its comparing apples with oranges.

Except in chemistry, where American is right, regardless of how long we've been spelling words.