Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I recently realised that one of the rooms in my house did not have an HD television. Since I do not wish to be in an inferior consumer position to a blawhard that earns £8.50 an hour so has to lie about owning a villa in Florida I decided to rectify this immediately.

Therefore I took a trip this a.m. to a local Argos store. Having successfully negotiated the gaggle of awkward, spotty, grunting teen boys in the doorway, shuffling the garish plastic tips of their Brantano faux-leather shoes and sullenly smoking, shivering in their cheap Argos fleeces and looking entirely unemployable, I entered the delightfully decorated store.

Queueing to pay for my chosen television with my wad of notes in one hand, my hat at a jaunty angle and my luscious lips whistling a cheery Christmas tune I was confronted by what can only be described as a walking Vacant sign in a skirt and an Argos polo shirt. She exceeded my initial expectations by being able to press two buttons in the correct order with the minimum amount of drool escaping from her Greggs sausage roll flecked lips, thereby bringing to the screen my previously reserved tv.

It was at this point my sunny mood was forcibly darkened somewhat.

Mandy Middle-Distance Gaze said:

"Can ah take yer details?"

Usually I would be only too happy to sign up to the marketing advances of such a salubrious store as Argos, but the thought of this pile of amoebic sludge with bones attempting to spell my surname before the onset of the next Ice Age led me to attempt a sidestep.

"Why?" I asked, with as cheery an air as a man who is about to add to his material posessions (and therefore his soulful bliss and karmic contentment!) can possibly be expected to emanate.

"It's coz if ye huvnae got a tv licence we cunny sell ye the telly."

Really? REALLY? We actually live in a society where a retail business takes a check on your legality before it accepts your dosh! Of course at first I assumed Nicola Numpty had got it wrong, much like her parents lack of contraception, so I followed up with:

"Erm...isn't that the Government's job? To check on my tv licence?"

The seconds passed like hours as Gail the Gowk tried to formulate a response in her head as the brain cell that was busy thinking about the X-factor tried to click on a link to open a new window. Anyway, as the brain cell was clearly using an outdated AMD processor that was overheating and I was beginning to feel a rage akin to standing on an upturned plug in my socks I swiftly made an exit, booted a bollard outside, phoned a pal for a rant, then tweeted some 'advice' to Little Lord Fauntleroy of Downing Street on Twitter.

What is this, 1984? Why the twatty b*****ding f**k is Argos checking our backgrounds? Very dangerous precedent indeed.

By the way cuntos, I wasn't really wearing a hat.

Tesco tried that with me about 5years ago. TV blew on a Sunday evening. Went to Tesco, got TV and paid at express check-out, was told I had to go to customer service and register sale as they had to pass my details on to TV Licensing.

I said 'No, i have a TV license, It was none of their business and if they not happy about me walking out with the TV I had just bought they could have it back and I would have my money back'.

It did the trick.

And what if you were buying as apresent for someone else.

Several things, mostly from female colleagues:

Woman beside me in work constantly bursting into one or two words of a song. Most common is that one from Fun. Sitting nice and peaceful then..."TONIIIIIGHT", then nothing. I don't know whats annoying me more, the fact that she's doing it or the fact that she's only signing one word.

Women constantly going on about what their eating and how their trying to cutback etc. This same woman had 4 packets of crisps yesterday during work and a crisp roll this morning. Its not her constant eating that annoys me, its her constantly saying how hungry she is and how she's cutting back. She is now waiting until Boxing Day to cut back. I predict this will be moved to January. Then January will be depressing so she'll move it on another couple of months.

I'm sure that repetitive office conversations are an annoyance to a lot of you.

And what if you were buying as apresent for someone else.

What about it?

All the seller has to do is pass on your details. They can be fined if they don't.

If you are then visited by a detector van saying "you bought a TV, where is your license" all you need to do is say "Have a look, it isn't here - it was a present". Or even, "I don't use it to watch TV as it's shown" it appears.

Working evenings from the 19th to the 28th December. I don't necessarily like the Christmas period but it would have been nice to have been able to do something on at least one of the days. Now those ten days are complete write-offs.

My ex wife is in a new relationship, first one for both of us since we seperated. Must say it's taking a little getting used to, just found out a couple of hours ago. It'll be all good by the morning when I've had time to digest.