Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

when I'm at the gym i have to walk through 5 separate doors between the gym and the pool and when ever there is someone behind me i have to hold open each door out of courtesy and when theres someone behind me they always thank me for each individual door i hold open for them out of courtesy and its awkward as f**k. everyone behind me is like "thanks" "thanks pal" thanks mate""cheers" "ta" thank you" just to break up the pleasantries

I believe the etiquette is that after the 2nd or 3rd door you let them overtake, meaning you split the choice of gratuities.

Door holding etiquette is awkward as hell, for example at what distance is the follower before it is ok to let the door shut behind you?

I believe the etiquette is that after the 2nd or 3rd door you let them overtake, meaning you split the choice of gratuities.

The overtake is a dodgy manoeuvre IMO, very easily makes things weird.

I do that! Pretend i have a phone call and then stop after 2nd door!! :lol:

If all this door-related malarkey is getting you down, there are parts of London where you can hold a door open all day long and never see so much as a nod of gratitude.

Catch me working at the Ritz again :angry:

I used to know a laddie who claimed getting older was great. Society considers that men generally become more attractive as they age (to a point), while the opposite is true for women. According to him, women who wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole when he was a young man became desperate if they'd reached a certain age and were still single, while younger lassies thought he was all debonair and mysterious purely 'cause he was older than them. Plus, he reckoned some liked to hook up with him to spite their parents, or because they had daddy issues. So, basically, he was plowing everything like it was harvest time.

He may have been a bit of a sociopath, thinking about it :unsure2:

Never heard of the saying "men age like whisky, women age like milk"?

when I'm at the gym i have to walk through 5 separate doors between the gym and the pool and when ever there is someone behind me i have to hold open each door out of courtesy and when theres someone behind me they always thank me for each individual door i hold open for them out of courtesy and its awkward as f**k. everyone behind me is like "thanks" "thanks pal" thanks mate""cheers" "ta" thank you" just to break up the pleasantries

Slight tangent on the doors...

I sometimes encounter people going through the whole awkward 'after you' exchange on just one door of a set of double width doors. They seem to think that one of the doors must be locked. In P&B parlance, these folk are sub human scum. It brings a tremendous sense of superiority to just breeze through the other door and shake the head at the collective stupidity of those electing to line up and wait to go through a particular aperture when there are plenty available for everyone to come and go freely.

An example of the type of door. Your typical moron will anticipate the door on the left of the picture is locked.

shop.jpg

That's all fine and well, but stick being the idiot that tries to 'breeze through' the other door and it's locked.

Plan ahead - look for signs that it might be unlocked in advance. Failing that, a subtle check if you are stuck in line (rest your hand on the handle and give it a subtle pull. If it's unlocked, use it and leave the other suckers looking foolish that they never had the brains to see if it was open.

That's all fine and well, but stick being the idiot that tries to 'breeze through' the other door and it's locked.

That sort of happened to a gobshite who was onboard the Bangor with us. We had a home town run in Bangor and when we were walking into town from the ship we noticed a arcade so went in for a quick search and then found they had shit like Sega Rally so decided to kill half a hour playing that we were all walking out the place through one of the large glass doors only for this c**t to run up behind us and run not into the locked door but the glass window beside it. Scenes! Never got a word out of the c**t for the rest of the night.

Mother Goose Club or whatever it's called. In fact, all children's TV these days. It's utter shite.

Live & Kicking and Get Your Own Back FTW.

I remember that as well :lol:

It then became dick and dom in da bungalow for me.

I remember that as well :lol:

It then became dick and dom in da bungalow for me.

Dick and Dom was brilliant Saturday morning viewing. A great programme.