Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

When posting me something my mum always writes Glasgow in capital letters as if my location wasn't somehow obvious from my flat number, flat address, part of Glasgow and post code

She just wants everyone at Royal Mail to know her wee boys made it and lives in the big city. Edited by KnightswoodBear

When posting me something my mum always writes Glasgow in capital letters as if my location wasn't somehow obvious from my flat number, flat address, part of Glasgow and post code

That used to be a royal mail thing for their scanners. If it couldn't make out postcode it went by city/town but could only read caps (so we were told at work, hence any address had town / city in caps)

Quick look, apparently they still request it

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/how-to-address-mail

Edited by weirdcal

My dad always writes my flat position, building number, street, town, county, postcode and country when sending me anything. Which is weird given he lives in the same country as me.

I've got a few spare stamps at the moment. Now considering sending myself a letter with:

Name

# Street

ABERDEEN

Aberdeen City

postcode

The Gambia

... just to see what happens.

You'd still get it. You'd need to make it a bit more vague, like use the name of a city that could be in two countries IE Hedgecutter, 1 Smith Street, Aberdeen, Washington, AB12 1DU.

There's supposedly 31 other Aberdeens. Some guy visited them all to write a book.

So far I've got the Washington, Hong Kong & Cape Breton ones without actively trying.

You live in Hashtag Street?

It's actually a mansion with it's own personalised address (Glebe Street*) and postcode given it's secluded West End location. I didn't want to show off.

*Not actually official. I considered calling it Glebe Park but settled with Glebe Street as it's like the Broons but with a football reference kind of still in there.

----------

Which actually brings me onto another gripe: Folk in standard working class streets who give their houses names and put it in a sign on the wall. More so if it's some pish like 'The Rowans'. Even more so if they want it on their postal address. You're a bog standard No.7, deal with it.

Edited by Hedgecutter

I've got a few spare stamps at the moment. Now considering sending myself a letter with:

Name

# Street

ABERDEEN

Aberdeen City

postcode

The Gambia

... just to see what happens.

Aberdeen? The Gambia?

post-101-14393734124381_thumb.jpg

Which actually brings me onto another gripe: Folk in standard working class streets who give their houses names and put it in a sign on the wall. More so if it's some pish like 'The Rowans'. Even more so if they want it on their postal address. You're a bog standard No.7, deal with it.

They do that in Scotstoun with Gleneagles cottages.

"Come to Gleneagles cottages. Just across the road some jake will be shitting in a close."

It's actually a mansion with it's own personalised address (Glebe Street*) and postcode given it's secluded West End location. I didn't want to show off.

*Not actually official. I considered calling it Glebe Park but settled with Glebe Street as it's like the Broons but with a football reference kind of still in there.

----------

I had someone today who called their home "ship shape house".

If I was her postie I'd be keeping her mail back to teach her a lesson about stupid house names.

Apps are free where texts and phonecalls aren't. Anyone who emails their friends is a fucking crackpot who needs sectioned.

My mum still thinks this is a normal way to communicate with me. It's unbelievable how infuriated she gets when I don't reply or see it.

I wouldn't say she needs sectioned, others may disagree.

Ex-forces muppet keeps sharing "ISIS terrorists are in Glasgow and ready to carry out attacks" tabloid shite on my Facebook news feed, together with "chop their heads off" and "don't be afraid to report anything suspicious" comments. The utter plamf.