Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

The Grey Ghost and his grey posts... :lol:

The Gray Ghost would like to point out that the RTBC thread is thattaway, if you ask the mods nicely, they might move it to the right place.

Although, it would be fair to concede that the Gray Ghosts previous post was Grey in every possible sense of the word.

Multi-Modal Speech Enhancement: An Overview and possible future directions using a MATLAB based Audio-Visual Toolbox.

The Gray Ghost thought his presentation was sorted, but is having last minute doubts.

Signal processing and noise elimination? sounds good, never really done more with Matlab than scratch the surface to be honest, my PHd is in Electrostatics and Microfluidics so I do use a lot of Comsol - based on Matlab script - though (it isn't very good).

Edited by renton

Signal processing and noise elimination? sounds good, never really done more with Matlab than scratch the surface to be honest, my PHd is in Electrostatics and Microfluidics so I do use a lot of Comsol - based on Matlab script - though (it isn't very good).

Aye, basically taking in noisy speech signals and converting them into lovely clean speech with all the background chitchat reduced in volume. Hearing aid research basically. The Gray Ghost is looking into using both the noisy audio, and the visual signal (lip movements), to produce a better quality of output.

What are Electrostatics and Microfluidics though? The Gray Ghost has not encountered such things!

Aye, basically taking in noisy speech signals and converting them into lovely clean speech with all the background chitchat reduced in volume. Hearing aid research basically. The Gray Ghost is looking into using both the noisy audio, and the visual signal (lip movements), to produce a better quality of output.

What are Electrostatics and Microfluidics though? The Gray Ghost has not encountered such things!

Is this something you are intrested in because of your own hearing problems?

I guess then the Matlab work is essentially a project demonstrator then? it sounds like a good idea, will be interested in how you plan to get your code into a hearing aid at low cost, you will need to scale down a fairly complex DSP will you not?

Oh come now, Electrostatics as in the E-field component of the electromagnetic field. Static electric fields, sounds simple until you try to conformally map it to periodic domains wihtout using a numerical computational solution!

Microfluidics, well, the entire premise of my work is in the microscale domain (MEMS - Micro Electro-Mechanical Systems) - of which fluidics, i.e. the behaviour of fluids, both liquid and gas is central to my project. Physical forces don't behave quite the same at micro (or even nano) scales. Forces scale down, for example magnestism is only a millionth strong at micro levels whereas Electrostatics is the same at macro or micro scales.

Is this something you are intrested in because of your own hearing problems?

Aye, this was something that the Grey Ghost had in mind, and was fortunate to have a lecturer who was interested in this field. Gave the Gray Ghost an opportunity to come up with a project and pitch for a scholarship, and was lucky enough to be accepted!

I wouldnt have done a phd on anything else, this isnt just work, this is personal.

I guess then the Matlab work is essentially a project demonstrator then? it sounds like a good idea, will be interested in how you plan to get your code into a hearing aid at low cost, you will need to scale down a fairly complex DSP will you not?

Essentially the Gray Ghost is starting with theoretical work. There has been work done in the area (obviously), but its all theoretical stuff, nobody (that the Gray Ghost has found) has come up with anything practical enough to be extended to a physical implementation. Matlab is useful for developing the system, and can be used for analysis of speech to find correlations etc. If something good comes of it, then it would need to be scaled down, but this is a bridge that can be crossed in the future.

Oh come now, Electrostatics as in the E-field component of the electromagnetic field. Static electric fields, sounds simple until you try to conformally map it to periodic domains wihtout using a numerical computational solution!

Microfluidics, well, the entire premise of my work is in the microscale domain (MEMS - Micro Electro-Mechanical Systems) - of which fluidics, i.e. the behaviour of fluids, both liquid and gas is central to my project. Physical forces don't behave quite the same at micro (or even nano) scales. Forces scale down, for example magnestism is only a millionth strong at micro levels whereas Electrostatics is the same at macro or micro scales.

:lol: Simple! So what question is it you are looking to solve? Is it a theoretical investigation of the fluid behaviour, or is there a practical application you are looking to develop?

Edited by The Gray Ghost

Aye, this was something that the Grey Ghost had in mind, and was fortunate to have a lecturer who was interested in this field. Gave the Gray Ghost an opportunity to come up with a project and pitch for a scholarship, and was lucky enough to be accepted!

I wouldnt have done a phd on anything else, this isnt just work, this is personal.

Essentially the Gray Ghost is starting with theoretical work. There has been work done in the area (obviously), but its all theoretical stuff, nobody (that the Gray Ghost has found) has come up with anything practical enough to be extended to a physical implementation. Matlab is useful for developing the system, and can be used for analysis of speech to find correlations etc. If something good comes of it, then it would need to be scaled down, but this is a bridge that can be crossed in the future.

:lol: Simple! So what question is it you are looking to solve? Is it a theoretical investigation of the fluid behaviour, or is there a practical application you are looking to develop?

Actually Signal Processing was an interest of mine before I got into MEMS, more on the practical system side of things rather than the software coding side (I've always been fucking useless at it :lol: )

Very much a practical system - although I'm having to develop parts of the theory myself. It's based around fabricating microstructures by a new method - LISC, Lithographically Induced Self Construction. We've got a patent out on this work and it is interesting, if bloody frustrating, you know PHd work: hurry up and wait!

it is interesting, if bloody frustrating, you know PHd work: hurry up and wait!

Aye, the Gray Ghost started in November and so far has basically done nothing but read, google things, and do preliminary experiments. :(

Aye, the Gray Ghost started in November and so far has basically done nothing but read, google things, and do preliminary experiments. :(

Started in September although I used my Msc project to do preliminary experiments, have since built quite a nifty test rig to overcome the shortcomings of earlier experiments (still some more work to do there though) and since January have been attempting to solve one Maths problem that is frustrating the hell out of me, I'm nearly done though and it will be publishable at least!

I think we are gluttons for punishment :lol:

It'll all be worth it when you can swagger about correcting people, being able to go "no, thats Dr. Renton actually" should make these years of pain worthwhile!

The day I look forward to is the day some guy has a heart attack on a plane and screams "Is there a doctor in the house"

I'll go "I'm a doctor!!!"

"can you help my husband" she'll cry

And I'll valiantly mumble "well, no actually - not that kind of doctor but anyhoo..."

The day I look forward to is the day some guy has a heart attack on a plane and screams "Is there a doctor in the house"

I'll go "I'm a doctor!!!"

"can you help my husband" she'll cry

And I'll valiantly mumble "well, no actually - not that kind of doctor but anyhoo..."

:lol::lol::lol:

Can you believe it, but thats almost the exact scenario the Gray Ghost paints when someone asks "why a phd?". Subsitute theatre for plane, and its word for word! We're a strange lot!

:lol::lol::lol:

Can you believe it, but thats almost the exact scenario the Gray Ghost paints when someone asks "why a phd?". Subsitute theatre for plane, and its word for word! We're a strange lot!

We could - at a pinch - build a home made defibrillater for the poor guy using two electrodes, a lemon and a hamster wheel I guess :lol:

We could - at a pinch - build a home made defibrillater for the poor guy using two electrodes, a lemon and a hamster wheel I guess :lol:

Sort of like a seriously geeky version of the A-Team? The Gray Ghost is the software guy...hook yer lemons up to a Matlab pc and we'll get some code to process lemon signals and plot nice graphs...not that that helps anyone, but hey, nice graphs! :D

Sort of like a seriously geeky version of the A-Team? The Gray Ghost is the software guy...hook yer lemons up to a Matlab pc and we'll get some code to process lemon signals and plot nice graphs...not that that helps anyone, but hey, nice graphs! :D

dilbert2.jpg

Just so you know - I'm the tall one :lol:

[quote}

Excellent. Will it be something that can be applied in a practical application i.e improving hearing aids?

My dad did his PhD over 7 years part time whilst teaching/having family and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

Guest The Phoenix
The puppy is farting something minging today.......jesus :green

Puppy farts will smell like eau de cologne compared to the noxious gases your bairn will produce when let loose from its current encarceration.

Excellent. Will it be something that can be applied in a practical application i.e improving hearing aids?

My dad did his PhD over 7 years part time whilst teaching/having family and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hoping to eventually see the light of day with it, the research that my supervisor worked on a few years back, has now all been implemented in some up to date hearing aids. It would be nice if this went the same way! No guarantees though. This is stuff thats pretty new, and the main benefit (if it works) is that it would hopefully make it easy for the Gray Ghosts fellow cripples to go to the pub and listen to group conversations without their hearing aids being overloaded. Its all very noble and idealistic! :D B)

TBH, The Gray Ghost is not particulary enjoying this. The Gray Ghost attempts to be better than everyone and so is often to be found in the office, working later and later hours in an attempt to be good enough to get by.

There are times when it seems so tempting to hand the ol' student card in, and go and get a job, at least the hours are better. Still, come the revolution...

Puppy farts will smell like eau de cologne compared to the noxious gases your bairn will produce when let loose from its current encarceration.

I'm not sure, he smells like someone has fed him a vindaloo and then a madras for dessert.